Cameras?

edited November 2013 in Products & DIY
So I'm going to end up having to buy a new camera, because the two that I have... well, one eats batteries (in one day of taking quite a few pictures, I'll have to change batteries often more than once). The other was good while it lasted, but no longer takes pictures. The battery-eater is a Canon PowerShot from about 2007, the one that no longer takes pictures is a Nikon L120.

I suppose I'm still looking for a point-and-shoot camera, because I don't really have the skill for a DSLR and also don't want to spend that much money on a camera.

Any ideas? I was looking at some of the waterproof/impact-proof cameras on Amazon because there's some appeal to a notably 'tough' camera (given that I suspect the Nikon was the victim of the cat knocking it off the counter plus sand and rain), but then, I also want something that does take consistently good pictures that I'm not going to get frustrated with within a few months. I guess my price maximum would be in the $250 range, though of course the best quality I can get for not so much money is ideal.

I think I prefer cameras that take AA batteries, just because that's what I've had in the past and I do like being able to buy batteries anywhere when it decides to conk out. Given that I have on several occasions had to buy batteries (for both cameras) while on trips, I like having that flexibility and not having to plan that far ahead when I need to recharge batteries.

Generally I don't take too many pictures of moving objects, but I would like this camera to last a number of years and I'm sure I'll be trying to take dog pictures again by then ;) So even though right now the camera would mostly be for generic nature/architecture/tourist shots, hopefully it'll eventually become a dog camera too!

Suggestions? Features I should be looking for? General thoughts and ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Ditch the idea of a camera that takes AA batteries. You will spend a ton of money on batteries. If you get one with a Lithium Ion battery, you will save a ton of money and the environment!

Normally I am a Nikon person. I have had several Nikon SLR/DSLR's and have loved every single one. However, when it comes to a point and shoot, the Nikon's that I have had were not exactly what I would have expected out of a company that specializes in optics. So, I sold my last Nikon P&S camera and bought a Canon S110 and have not looked back. It has the ability to manually adjust all of the settings pretty easily and has some pretty decent optics. I have had it about a year and have been very pleased with it so far. The battery (with normal sporadic use) lasts me about a month between recharges. However, if I know that I am going to be taking a lot of photos in one go, I always recharge the battery before the outing. I have not had the battery die on me as of this point.

The camera is a bit above your price range retail, but you could probably find one used for less.
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-3-Inch/dp/B009B0MYLS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384465676&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+s110
  • How long would a battery charge last with heavy use? Although I rarely use them heavily in normal life, on trips I will use them extremely heavily (and that is my biggest concern--I've had to buy AAs in metro stations in Ukraine when the batteries decided to quit in the middle of the day, and that wouldn't really be an option with a lithium battery that I would have to recharge). Of course, it probably varies--I know even with the AA ones I've had, a set of batteries in the Nikon could last for around a month (the ones purchased in the metro station lasted almost three months of pretty much normal use--which was kind of a feat of wonder) but in the old Canon would last only a few days with much use.

Essentially, everything I've ever had uses AAs so the lithiums are a big unknown to me. I'm not opposed to them, I've just never had one or used one (beyond one that a friend had that was very unpredictable and didn't last long).

A DSLR is probably an eventual dream for me... but I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a camera right now. Plus I don't suppose I take enough pictures on a regular basis to justify it, either--mostly I only take pictures on trips (but then will take a lot).

The Canon sounds like an interesting one though! None of the ones on Amazon seem to be in my price range, but I can check Craigslist for a while and see if any come up. Sometimes good things surface.

This is the Canon that I was looking at originally: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX510-Digital-Optical/dp/B00EFILPHA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce But that was only because it seems to be a newer model version (with a lithium battery) of the old one I had.

Thanks!
  • edited November 2013
    Upgrade your phone to a smart phone (if you haven't already). The best camera to take pictures with is the one that you have the moment you need it.

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/phone/lumia1020/

Since I have gotten one of these phones with really good cameras, I rarely ever feel the regret about not having a point and shoot.

Especially when smartphones have apps that can help you do this:
    https://refocus.nokia.com/

Jesse
  • That is a pretty awesome looking phone! I'll have to look into that at some point, when it comes time to upgrade my phone (which is currently a pretty indestructible non-smartphone). Just wish that more smartphones had physical keyboards, because I don't like typing on a touchscreen very much...

My biggest problem with phones is that every one that I've ever had freaks out if I get too close to Canada and starts sending me messages about how I'm going to be charged roaming fees for receiving the messages it's sending me... lol (and of course it sends me even more if I'm actually in Canada, not just too close to Canada for its liking). I think I need to get a different cell carrier before I try to rely on my phone as also my camera. I also had a problem when I was in Ukraine that someone tried to call my (American) cell phone, which I had brought with me but turned off, and I got charged quite a bit for receiving this international call when the phone wasn't even on... So I'm a little leery about trying to rely on a phone as my only camera if international borders are ever involved.

I do have an iPod Touch that I try to use sometimes, but it's a few years old now so it's battery life is pretty pathetic (no more than 30 minutes). Not exactly a smartphone, though, and its camera is rather obsolete now.

But your point is a really good one--one of the things I didn't like about the Nikon I have that no longer works is that it's a bit too big to carry in my purse comfortably. The Canon, despite its propensity for going through too many batteries, is a size that I can leave in my purse and have around when I need it. Which, if quality isn't diminished, is a very nice feature.
  • If you'd like to be semi pro, I use and a lot of my photon friends use a G series from Canon. Shoots raw and the G16 doesn't have the software yet after upgrading to OS Maveriks. The G15 is the one I would recommend. It has a swiveling screen, unlike the G16 which is expected out later this month. The G-16 lost the swiveling screen and that is a great aspect of the G15.
    Both, very powerful cameras. I cannot recommend them more. It'll test your abilities and easy to get comfortable with. You'll be able to get creative.
  • OR, the Panasonic Cameras have a Leica Lens. SO many different models.. I had one and it shot raw, too. Mine was a DE-Lux 3, I think.
    A great camera. I like talking about equipment. You probably know that digital tele is a scam.

My favorite camera is my "note taker", the Canon 780IS. So so small and has a viewfinder, the model after this doesn't. I bought a water housing for it and it is just a cool, simple fun camera which is less powerful, yet has inroads.
  • My favorite camera is my Father's 101a Polaroid. I shot it for years with the old roll film, but just had it converted to pack Polaroid film which I can get.
    Polaroid is the 2nd God. Dog first.
  • I was going to get the G16, but got the Olympus Pen E-PL5 Lite Micro 4/3 instead and I really like it. I can't wait to buy more lens for it! You can use both Panasonic and Olympus lenses on it. Not only the Micro 4/3 lenses, but also the regular ones (using an adapter).

Here's a picture I took with the kit lens, which is not that great:
    PA290240

The G16 is pretty sweet though... If it wasn't for the fact that I got an AMAZING deal on the E-PL5, I probably would've gone with the Canon.
  • What a lovely picture. I used to use the Olympus Pen film camera. Way back then, it was a film camera.
    You'll be happy with that! I have the G16 and I love it. I'll be happy when the software comes out because then I'll shoot directly to iPad, iPhone and computer!
    It's a great photo:-)
    Keep it up!
  • @Hinata23 Wow... I hadn't even looked into that type of camera before, and that's really cool! I like the ability to change lenses, because I feel like some of my frustration with earlier cameras could have been combated with simply a different lens, rather than a different camera altogether (had they been the type of camera that would allow that).

I will definitely look into that! There look to be some really good deals out there on them, too...
  • @trzcina I'm really liking it :) One thing though, it's a compact camera and my husband thinks it's a bit small for his hands. I have really small hands so I love it. :)
  • I'm also a big fan of the micro four thirds cameras (Panasonic, Olympus, etc.) if I had money, I would get one of them.

Jesse
  • I managed to get my Nikon working again, so I guess I won't be buying another camera quite as immediately as I thought I would--but I'm definitely thinking that when I do buy another one, I'll get one of the micro 4/3 cameras. Now I just have more time to look into the different brands/models and wait for good prices :)
  • Lumia 1020, mine came with the handgrip which also has extra battery life. That said, i'm guarenteed to smash anything not in my pockets (such as an SLR) when out on a trail.