Most ridiculous vet visit ever (UPDATED with MORE ridiculousness)

I'm from Northern Va and moved to Va beach about a year ago. I haven't had a dog here so I've had no reason to ever go to a vet until now. One of my friends recommended an office and it sounded pretty good so I figured why not, right? We weren't going in for anything in particular other than a check up and to get acquainted with his new vet and develop a game plan for the coming year. Well....I get there fill out some paperwork, walk up to the receptionist, she enters the info into her computer, and then she proceeds to tell me that he IS in fact an Akita and that the Shikoku isn't a dog breed...I argue with her for a good 20 minutes and hold up the line behind me before she finally gives. Although she still said that she just had to put Akita in his file because they didn't have Shikoku listed as a breed in they're database. It was bogus. Crazy woman...

Then I get back there, the vet comes in, I explain to him what's going on. He goes through the motions and then proceeds to tell me about a package they offer for shots/neutering. It was good to know but not neccessary so I inform him that he WON'T be getting neutered and the drs attitude completley changed. He lectured me about how everyone should get they're pets fixed because by not neutering him I'm killing hundreds of shelter dogs and putting hundreds more on the street. The way he did it was so disrespectful! I tried talking to him but by the end of the conversation he basically told me that he doesn't support any type of dog breeding and that he was going to put him down for the neuter program in his file, even though I told him no. It was a losing battle...I was so upet by the time he was done I asked for the manager when I got out front and made a bit of a stink about how I was treated. She appologized and told me the visit was on the house...doesn't make it any better really but needless to say I wont ever be going back there that's for sure. All he did was insult me and my dog...

I'm going to try using another vet that people from my pet store job actually use for themselves. He does exotics, dogs/cats, and reptiles. He sounds pretty promising but we'll see..

On a better note, the little man did great at the vet! He didn't notice anything to be wrong so he was just as happy and friendly as could be :)

Comments

• Wow, people like that don't get my business. I'll walk out on a vet visit like that.
  • Wow, what jerks! I do know that sometimes they have to put something in on dog breed and there software won't allow a write in apparently--this happened at my back up vet, when we brought Leo in. they thought they didn't have a space for Kai Ken, but they handled it very differently, which was to say it wasn't in there database, so did I have an opinion on what we could put instead? They they found Kai and we didn't have to do it.

As for the rest, yeah, I would have been furious. What an ass. Glad you didn't have to pay for the visit.
  • I went through 2 vets before I found one that i was satisfied with. The other two, like yours, had their own agendas which they tried to force on me. Aren't doctors supposed to be impartial, offer their educated opinions then let us choose? (to a certain extent of course). If their waiting room is a Show Room for Royal Canin, I'd leave ! Lol :D
  • Jeez what a jerk. I'm glad you're keeping him intact. Hopefully he can be used for the shikoku preservation efforts here in North America.
  • I went to my vet and when I told them the Shikoku Ken (dog) is a real breed, they added it to their database. To date, they maintain the health of 2 Shikoku, which, short from the vet that treats Corina's pack, is likely the most Shikoku any vet has to handle in Southern California. The other Shikoku is a male from Katja's kennel named Roku.

I agree with the others. It's one thing for a vet to have their opinions and there's definitely a case to be made for rescuing. However, there's also an equally valid case for breed preservation. I'm glad you were able to get out and seek other options.

Jesse
  • @shibamistress I would have been furious if they still insisted I pay.

@Araks That's the plan, hopefully he grows up to be a nice sound and healthy Shikoku Ken, with good prospect :) He's from Shigeru's litter Bishome x Unta. I'd like to show him here too. I use to show Goldens years ago and really enjoyed it.

I wonder if there's any other Shikoku close to me..

I'm just glad this crazy trip wasn't traumatizing for the little man.
  • Oh man...sounds terrible. The last time I took Kimber to the vet here we got a TON of attitude too, but not as bad as your experience :( when I was talking to @creativejen she was telling me that's pretty typical of city vets, and that country vets are more relaxed about it.

I agree wth @CrimsonO2, there's a need for rescue, but when you've done so much research and you're helping a breed out, that kind of backlash is just unnecessary...glad you got it free though!! And that he did so well! ^_^
  • Talk to your local dog people in the show/agility/working industry. They might know vets that are more intact friendly.
  • First questions to always ask a vet: Their opinion on raw food and their opinion on keeping intact dogs.

Most of them turn into monsters.

I'm sorry you had to experience this though. :(
  • @Dragonfly - Oh man... That sounds horrid! I have no experience with vets in the Hampton Roads area, so I can not give out any recommendations. However, I do think that if you can find some show/working dog people that you might be able to get a good vet recommendation from them.

If things work out, I will be looking for a new vet in the Northern Virginia area pretty soon. I am terrified of finding a new vet that both my dogs like and that will work with me in my more holistic approach to keeping Nola healthy. So, I definitely feel your pain.
  • edited November 2013
    We had something like that happen to us as well a little while go...

We took Goro in, earlier this year, for his 1 yr old shots and it was seriously one of the worst experiences of my life! Goro was a little nervous because the previous vet had tried to click his nails and we all know how much Kai love getting their nails trimmed... The first thing the vet asked us was if he was typically nervous and scared at home because he didn't seem like a happy dog... We assured him that it was just at the vet and that he's usually a silly, playful, and happy dog. He gave us a spiel about neutering him and when we told him Goro was part of a preservation program, he start looking around for faults in Goro :(

Then he wanted to cut his nails, even though we told him that he freaks out when we try. He had two techs come in, force Goro on his side and hold him down. After a lot of Goro screams, me yelling for him to stop, and Goro's peeing and crapping himself, the vet yelled at us saying it was our fault that he was like that. We told him that the breed in general doesn't like getting their nails clipped and that we have tried to expose him to getting his nails trimmed in the past. He flat out told us "You're lying" and stormed out the run to clean himself off (Goro peed on him).

It was horrible!

• @sunyata- When I lived up in northern va we took our Kai to a vet in wv, it was a 40 min drive but well worth it. We fed raw at the time also and they were more than supportive of it :)

@Hinata23 - OMG That's 10x worse than what happened to me! Poor goro :( I can imagine that made Goro's nail clipping anxiety even worse..if you have to hold them down to the point that they're so obviously distressed like that..I'd hate going to the vet too if I were him :( That's just uncalled for.

@cdenney- I hadn't even thought of that..but now that you mention it I know just the people to ask :)
  • First questions to always ask a vet: Their opinion on raw food and their opinion on keeping intact dogs.

Most of them turn into monsters.

I'm sorry you had to experience this though. :(
    Haha yeah saying anything about feeding raw, home cooked or intact will make them into monsters. God forbid your dog eat a sponge, sock or something and get obstruction. Vet will blame it on raw not the foreign item.

Even if owner fed kibble am and raw or home cooked pm the vet probably would go nuts.

My vet is against raw sadly not many vets in my area who willing to educate themselves so at least they can guide and make sure owner is feeding the diet right..

I had zero plans keeping Saya intact, but I hoped to spay her at year old, but dad took her in at 6months without me knowing.. :| Ah well..

My next dog will be an Hokkaido and I plan keep him/her intact to see if the dog is healthy and good candidate for it. So glad your helping the shikoku breed out I hope he grows nice and healthy.

Then he wanted to cut his nails, even though we told him that he freaks out when we try. He had two techs come in, force Goro on his side and hold him down. After a lot of Goro screams, me yelling for him to stop, Goro's peeing and crapping himself, the vet yelled at us saying it was our fault that he was like that. We told him that the breed in general doesn't like getting their nails clipped and that we have tried to expose him to getting his nails trimmed in the past. He flat out told us "You're lying" and stormed out the run to clean himself off (Goro peed on him). It was horrible!
    Poor Goro! :(

I don't get it why do they want to trim the dog nails so much I can understand if owner asks for it, but if owner rather they themselves trim the nail then vet should respect that.

Saya is fine with getting nails trimmed she isn't fan of it, but tolerates it. I rather do it myself as I know her she knows me and I feel she'd be stressed with a vet doing it. Vet visit can be hard enough with all the poking and prodding.

Dragonfly I hope your next vet is more understanding.

Not every intact dog owner is irresponsible and let their dog mate willy nilly. :\
  • OMG @Hinata23, poor you AND Goro!!! That's a nightmare :(
  • @sunyata there is a holistic vet in Ashburn recommended by the same people who got me my vet. I'll call and ask them.
  • my korean vet love to see ppl breed beautiful breed in right way. best part is he knows all the asian breed even though they are rare. like hokkaido, shikoku, JA, etc.
  • Ecckk, that sounds miserable. I definitely wouldn't be going back to that vet! I will agree with the others, though, that asking local "dog people" (working/training/showing people) might yield some better results for vets that won't try to coerce you into neutering. Hopefully you have better luck with other vets in the area!
  • edited November 2013
    Oh man, that sounds awful. I honestly hate taking Rigby to the vet. We've had decent experiences with a few of the vets at the hospital we take him to, but the one who was recommended to us by Rigby's trainer is honestly awful.

He rolled his eyes many time on vaccinations Rigby was given by his breeder and the type of dog breed we chose (Shiba). He also called the Evanger's food Rigby was eating at his breeders "designer" and suggested I switch to something "cheaper". I'm sure they'd be horrified that he's eating raw now.

He also tried to shove the whole "dominance" thing down my throat and suggested that I yell "no" in Rigby's face and hold his muzzle anytime he growled at us to "teach him his place." That guy is a piece of work. Luckily, we haven't had to see that particular vet since and I'm considering switching to a vet that will come to our home.

Sorry for your bad experience. :( Hopefully you can find a much better vet!
  • Wow those stories are dramatically horrifying.

Here's a link to holistic vet practitioners, top left you can search complete a search for a specific state etc. http://www.ahvma.org/

Honestly I don't think it has to do with city vet or country vet but what the vet has been exposed to and what their philosophy is in regard to their clients/work and also the context in regard to specific demographic area .

It gets pretty old when all a practitioners see is unwanted dogs/puppies and cats/kittens or cases of seized pets. In Hampton VA the Vick case I am sure put a lot of vets on guard and like anyone else they make assumptions particularly with novice pet owners.

Hang in there and good luck with the search.
    Snf

• We had that same thing happen to us when Yucca got her first set of shots. When we first came in, the vet techs at the desk all thought she was a shiba and I explained to them what a Kai which wasnt a problem. They actually were interested to know more but when we met the Vet it was a different story. First she came in and before even looking into Yuccas record, stated that she was a shiba. I corrected her but she ignored me and continued to talk about my "shiba". What i am to expect from my shiba, what to look for healthwise in my shiba, how big my shiba will get, what my shibas personality will be like. I corrected her everytime and she would always roll her eyes and continue her lecture. I just gave up and asked to be givin a different vet for future visits. I think she must have went home at googled Kai Ken though cause the next time we saw her she said "oh hi kai, I can see your stripes are coming in!!".
    Now when we go to the vet, everyone knows Yucca :) though after my recent visit with my other dog cayenne, we will probably be switching to somewhere else. Cayenne has been to the vet twice now with life threatening circumstances so now she is pretty terrified of "scary blue people" vet techs. This past visit she was nervous like usual, she growls when the techs first enter the room but then after a minute she calms down. they needed to take her in the back for some tests and in the past they have not had problems with her back there but time we had a new technician who, im guessing, doesnt trust bully types because he refused to take her unless she was muzzled. Cayenne has never worn a muzzle in her life and i regret doing it to her. her stress level tripled! she didnt want to move and the man drug her into the back. When Cayenne came back it was with the Vet, not the tech, she had no muzzle on, tail was wagging and she looked happy. The vet apologized but said that the tech was right to muzzle her.

btw @Dragonfly when you find a good vet, let me know. We will be moving to Norfolk this spring
  • These stories are interesting to read. From my point of view because I live in a country where dogs usually aren't neutered and so vets don't push neutering unless it's for medical reasons. This helps understand the size of "neuter-every-dog" mentality you have there.
  • Ugh, that's unfortunate.

I'm still with the same vet from when Sagan was a puppy, but when he got his yearly shots a few months ago, one of the newer vet techs complained that Sagan "needs more socialization." We asked why, and it was because "he growled and snapped (but didn't bite) at her when attempting to put multiple shots in him."

Instead of a muzzle, I asked if I could hold him instead (because they have a policy of not "allowing" patients in the back). He didn't budge or move a muscle when they re-did the shots while holding him. I asked the same vet tech how I could possibly socialize him more for shots, and she didn't really respond. :-/
  • @JaanaS - Yes, that's sadly the mentality of most vets here. It's difficult to work with. There's nothing worse than feeling like you've been attacked every time you go to the vet.

@NavyDog - I asked around and got a couple promising recommendations from people. I'm going to be calling around tomorrow, comparing prices, getting a general feel for them, and I'm considering asking to speak to a vet about things to see what they think and how they react before I go in. There's no sense in wasting they're time and more importantly my money if it's not going to work out anyway.

@StaticNfuzz - Thanks for the link! I'll check out those vets as well. I can understand they're reasoning behind the spay/neuter everything with reproductive organs philosophy but there's a line and a difference. Some vets are just so close minded that you can't tell them anything..some would probably even argue the grass being green..lol

I'll be making lots of calls tomorrow..I didn't really think it would be this complicated!

• I had nd still have a skmilar experience everytime I bring in miyako, the receptionists discuss her breed because they never heard of a JA or the split between AA and JA and they assume miyako is a shiba husky akita mix. Whe I first briught miyako to the vet on the 2nd day we got her for checkup the vet bombarded me with insults as to whT breeding facility she came from she doesnt support BYBs or mills that she was spayed too young etc...I explained to her as calmly as I could that and told her not to talk about my pup and explained that nanook was also neutered at a young age but he had hernia. Apparently mihako being spayed so young was the talk of the office and the new gossip Staten islanders live off of because when I bought her back a third time a new vet says "Remember this is the puppy I told you that was spayed so young, oh poor baby". Now heres the fun part...no matter what I do miyako is not keen on strangers unless she meets them constantly then she warms up to them. Ok so anyways while I was waiting for miyako to get her ranies the vet that made the comment then adds that miyako is aggressive and vicious that she needs help and training and how shell eventually need a muzzle because shes a large powerful breed....all miyako is is a barker she has never bit anyone or even growled and snarled even if people on the street approCh her with my permission. Being that miyakos barking issue and her being spayed so young is the gossip of the office my mom and I will most likely switch vets.
  • I like my current vet.
    Other than right after I got him for a "Hello this is my new dog!" visit, Katana hasn't been to the vet yet. So, I don't really know how my vet is with the whole spay/neuter thing (my other three have been altered...) and it'll tick me off if they are militant about it. They know I feed raw/homemade/whole foods and are generally okay with it, and I would hate to have to find a new vet if my current one treated me badly about the intact dog thing.
  • @Nanook - Good grief, some people are just so rude! I'd definitley switch vets, they shouldn't talk about miyako like that..

On another note. I'm not sure when would be a good idea to get his rabies, I know a lot of vets push it as early as 12 weeks but I feel like that's way too soon. He's had his first set of shots, 2 more and he'll be done with that. Back when I worked with a vet tech she taught me how to give vaccines, I helped vaccinate puppies for her regularly. It's a lot cheaper than what the vet charges and as long as you know how to give it properly it's all the same. She had a form made up with a spot for the labels off the bottle and kept a date record, most all places accept it. The only thing required to be given by a vet by law is rabies. I don't think I'll get the bordetella unless he needs it, might get the lyme vaccine because I've known dogs to get it in the area but I'm not sure. Would it be harmful to get the rabies when they're so young?
  • edited November 2013
    I only do rabies (3 years), and parvo/distemper. I don't do anything else, and sometimes go to a vaccine clinic unless the dog hasn't been to the vet in a while. I know how to do it myself but I usually don't.

I don't think vaccinating a pup for rabies when they are young is bad, since they usually get other combo vaccines at the vet (several times), and bad things very rarely ever happen with vaccines. I probably wouldn't, since I am generally in favor of as few vaccines as possible for pups.
    I'd check into your local laws. Some places require it by a certain age, others just require it and don't state anything about the dog's age.
  • This is a problem I never have... because I researched and found one of the only canine reproductive specialists in So Cal. She is perfectly happy with me keeping my dogs intact, and goes out of her way to make sure that other things we do (certain vaccinations, antibiotics, etc) wouldn't have an impact on reproductive health.
  • Not sure on rabies Saya got rabies at 14 weeks I believe or maybe 15.. I forgot. :\

• I haven't had any issue with vets in regard to my dogs' breeds (they are usually only interested to know about a new breed) or keeping my dog intact.

I have had issues getting TK to a vet that will work with him, though, or issues with how TK is treated because of his anxiety/aggression.