Pocket Kai Ken

2»

Comments

• Kay, lets make our new bombproof breed.

But, you'll have to define "friendly" for me.... because AFAIC most dogs people call "friendly" are in-your-face-obnoxious IMO. Maybe I've been hanging around my Akitas too much, lol. They have poor opinions of "friendly" breeds. (Although to be fair, one of their best friends is a Laborador... but she's the most aloof Lab I've ever met.)
  • @LoboSpam - Who wants a lazy dog? I love that my dogs require a lot of exercise and would absolutely hate a lazy dog. I also appreciate that my dogs are more aloof than "friendly" and are not in your face rude.

• edited November 2013
    @sunyata I'm not saying I want a lazy dog :) Mine is anything but, and I like it that way. The people in this forum are more likely to want (and have the willingness to deal with) a dog with high energy. What I was saying is that many people (especially the kind of people who want designer dogs) DON'T want a high energy dog and fail to exercise their dogs enough. We see this so much with people who report "problems" with their dogs because they have too much energy and not enough exercise. If I were to "design" a companion dog for the AVERAGE dog owner, who works a lot and doesn't want to take their dog for walks in the rain or cold, I would certainly make it a lazy one :)
  • @poeticdragon Ha, I recant "friendly", I know exactly what you mean :) Besides, breeding for low reactivity would take care of aggression issues, I think.

I thought a little more about it and realized this is kind of what breeders are doing when they breed assistance dogs for disabled people, except they do it usually with a single breed (labs).

It also made me wonder how breeding works specifically with temperament. Do puppies inherit temperament more from one gender parent than the other? Are some temperament aspects "dominant"?
  • @lobospam - I don't think that genetically there is a difference, but they pick up on behavior patterns from their dams so that does affect expression of temperament traits if not the underlying traits themselves.
  • @LoboSpam - I honestly think instead of breeding for a "lazy dog" for those types of people, those types of people should honestly NOT be a pet owner.
  • edited November 2013
    Here is the ultimate "bombproof" dog, perfect for lazy people, friendly with everyone, guaranteed not to bite or scratch, minimal to no shedding, perfect for the impulse purchasers, and can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes for a custom pick:

Even comes in Akita:
  • @sunyata I don't know, I've known some owners who deliberately got lazy breed dogs because they knew they weren't the kind of people to want to spend a lot of time exercising their dog. The owner seems happy, the dog seems happy, so I personally wouldn't go as far as to say such people should never have a dog.

• @lobospam - I don't think that genetically there is a difference, but they pick up on behavior patterns from their dams so that does affect expression of temperament traits if not the underlying traits themselves.
    Interesting. I didn't know that!

• @Calia Finally, I can have the akita farm I've always wanted!!! :D