What to do About Predators

edited June 2012 in Hunting & Working
I hope this is.the right place for this!

So, I bring my dogs to a few places (my Malamute abd mixed-breed) to chase all the critters off - a few of the local farms/private properties - but lately, we're seeing less and less groundhogs and critters but instead, a fisher cat! I, being dumb and from the city, didn't realize what a fisher cat looked like in person (they're much stouter/wider than I expected) and let my dogs give chase.

I knew it was something different than usual b/c London (the Mal) started to do the strangest baying I'd ever seen - just put on all the breaks when he got close and started practically spitting fire. Russell (the mix) didn't seem to act any differently and tried to dive right into the hole the fisher crawled into.

None of my dogs were hurt and the fisher didn't seem as scary as how people describe them (maybe because of London? I can see how he could be intimidating to any animal, with.the way he was acting) but I don't want my dogs getting ripped up and I don't want to tempt fate.

Does anyone else run into predators like this? What do you guys do? It was a lot harder pulling London and Russell off of this guy than it ever is off of a little guy. Sorry if I sound dumb. :/

Comments

• I had Tora come up against a coyote once. She gave chase and nipped it in the butt before I got her called off. On the plus side, the coyote no longer comes anywhere near the house.
  • Yea and no.
    While raccoons aren't usually called predators, I run into them quite frequently, and it's very hard to pull the dogs off when they've got one cornered/treed/fenced. I generally don't let Juneau off-leash unless I know animals are not around, and now Conker wears a bell so I can hear where he is if he gives chase to something on a hike.
    The raccoons are difficult, since sometimes they will run, and othertimes they will fight. They are a HUGE carrier of distemper here, and rabies, so I generally do not want my dogs getting into a scrap with one.
    If I can get the dog's attention quick enough, before they give chase, I can call them off, usually. Once they give chase, I have to physically drag them away. I am sure Juneau could kill a coon but Conker, I don't know. They are as big as he, and I'd rather not risk having him get torn up. Or Juneau for that matter.
    If they do get one (at home), I have to pull them off one at a time, which can be hard since they do not normally wear collars. I keep slip leads in the garage for this purpose. If this does happen, I always get Conker first. Juneau knows when to back off, Conker doesn't, and if I took Juneau first, the coon would have a bigger advantage over Conker and could deal out more damage.

I have not run into any coyotes with any of the dogs yet. They are not too common around here.

Anyways, if I don't want the dogs to chase after a certain type of animal, I will train them to leave it alone. It takes work, and you have to see it often, but so far I have been able to train Conker off deer, turkey, and most other birds. I do this by rapidly getting the dog's attention the moment they see the animal and redirecting them onto something else, like a game, treat, command, or simply just going in the other direction, and telling them to "Leave It!" In a firm voice.
    I think Conker gets way to much fun out of baying up a coon, since he is able to do it quite often without me telling him off, so I doubt I'll ever actually be able to train him off them. Same with Juneau.
    Sasha could care less about all of this, so I don't need to bother with her.
  • Always be careful allowing dogs to chase animals unless you are legally hunting. Especially game like fishers are protected in aeration areas and the fins can be absolutely high for just allowing a dog to give chase.

I'm a due hard dog hunter so I say yes if you are actually hunting. For coyotes, I would be weary on allowing a single dog to give chase cause coyotes can do a lot of damage to a dog.

Most predator hunters I know use multiple dogs that are highly trained to chase coyotes. It's not pretty but it is a form of hunting that has gone on for a very long time and very effective in controlling predator numbers.

My kishus will tree bobcats once in awhile but mostly hogs.
  • I think in my area, the use of dogs is prohibited only with turkey, deer and "trapping on state lands" (not sure what that means, exactly. I should educate myself a bit more). Dogs are not allowed to "run at large" on public property either (fines involved), but it does look like Fishers are protected (you need a special permit for trapping/hunting Fishers and it's only allowed within a certain time frame).

Next time I go, I'll keep a better eye out and hope to catch it before the dogs do. I was just very surprised to find something "different" in our stomping grounds. It's usually all small critters like groundhogs, squirrel and rabbit.
  • I typically do not let them chase after anything. We just happened to come out of the house one night and the coyote was right there trying to get into the trash. Before I realized it she had chased him to the back of the house and gave him a quick nip. Once I called her, she stopped. I agree predator hunting can be an effective form of population control an should be done with highly trained dogs. Coyotes are a huge problem in Ohio (we have nothing to keep their numbers in check) All the construction across the street and all around me most likely pushed him from his normal area. Thankfully his minor run in with Tora was enough to encourage him to move on to a new area. Most likely over by the golf course and the bis houses causing them problems.
  • edited October 2013
    my dog scrapped with a golden eagle and chases cat, fixes ,loose dogs, deer,rabbit, etc....................................
  • my dog killed a golden eagle and chases cat, fixes ,loose dogs, deer,rabbit, etc....................................
    I'm almost certain that it's illegal to kill golden eagles in the US (and I'm also pretty sure that allowing your dog to kill one falls into the same category, if your dog was supposed to be under your control). You may want to be careful about that.
  • I'm almost certain that it's illegal to kill golden eagles in the US (and I'm also pretty sure that allowing your dog to kill one falls into the same category, if your dog was supposed to be under your control). You may want to be careful about that.
    I agree, it's probably a good idea to keep your dog in check and not allow it to chase after other dogs, cats, etc.

• my dog killed a golden eagle and chases cat, fixes ,loose dogs, deer,rabbit, etc....................................
    I'm almost certain that it's illegal to kill golden eagles in the US (and I'm also pretty sure that allowing your dog to kill one falls into the same category, if your dog was supposed to be under your control). You may want to be careful about that.
    Well it attacked her so yah. I tried to get. It off but I couldn't if it was the only choice left......
  • I'm almost certain that it's illegal to kill golden eagles in the US (and I'm also pretty sure that allowing your dog to kill one falls into the same category, if your dog was supposed to be under your control). You may want to be careful about that.
    I agree, it's probably a good idea to keep your dog in check and not allow it to chase after other dogs, cats, etc.

She only does it to aggressive dogs otherwise she will ignore them. As for cats they just tease her, and she hasn't done it in a while.

• Yes birds of prey are a federally protected specie. It is beyond illegal to kill, maim, hurt, or keep birds of prey or any part of a bird of prey unless you have a permit or part of a Native American tribe permitted to collect such bird or parts of a bird.

Not really good (or smart) to post a comment like that on a public forum. This forum is a great place for the NK community to come together and talk about our dogs and LEGAL activities with out dogs. For the forums sake and for the creators of the forums sake please do not post any illegal activity on here. Just remember big brother is watching forums like this and many people have landed them selves in jail for posting illegal activity.
  • It attacked HER.
  • And I misposted, she didn't kill it, Sorry. Would you like to hear what happened?
  • It's been relocated for attacking people I think we talked to the FWP
  • edited October 2013
    Also they say it was a redtail hawk? I dunno all I know is that the thing is fine, although I think any wild animal that attacks dogs and people with no warning should be euthanized.
  • Well, any wild animal can attack.....They're wild.

A red tailed hawk is very different from a golden eagle, and actually is much more likely. But all birds of prey are federally protected.
  • edited October 2013
    A red tailed hawk makes much more sense than a golden eagle. They are still federally protected, though, like @shibamistress said, and being wild animals... they do what they want. There is a tremendous difference between a golden eagle and a hawk (and the hawk is MUCH smaller). We've had them stuck in our fence before, and animal control had to come get him (the hawk) free again.

Hawks have been known to take small dogs and cats, yes, but they're wild animals--it is the pet owner's responsibility to make sure their pet is safe by proper supervision, etc.
  • Oh boy this is what cdenny meant, go to the main discussion board please
  • @tarokun I'm just going off the exact texts you typed before editing where you said your dog killed a golden eagle. My comment goes to everyone so please don't take offense.

Best thing to do is to just leave it at that not explain how your dog got into it with a eagle, hawk, ostrich, pelican, or whatever bird that tried attacking it. My main concern is for the forum and that we all keep it clean and legitimate cause I don't think the Forum creators need any issues with any government entity inquiring about what questionable conversations take place here.
  • My dog killed Cockroach! and ate it!!!!!!!
    i met coyote couple times with my dogs. leashed. so I didn't have problem.
    They followed us for couple min but they walked away when I walked towards to them.
    I saw 3-4 Coyotes in my area and they have been attacking small dogs and cats.
This discussion has been closed.