What kind of dog is this? Maybe Hokkaido?

edited September 2013 in Other Breeds
Hello!
A few months ago I adopted a dog from my local shelter. I have been having trouble figuring out what kind she is. She was listed as a Chow/Akita mix, but I find that hard to believe. I constantly have people ask me what kind of dog she is, and I would love to give them an answer. I feel like she looks like some sort of Japanese dog, maybe mixed with who-knows-what. I was stopped by a stranger on the street who seemed really knowledgeable about Japanese breeds, and he said she looks a bit like a Hokkaido. What do you think?

She is 42 pounds, and pretty docile and aloof. She is fairly smart but has a habit of deciding when training time is over. She has a very strong prey drive and sheds heavily. She took a while to warm up to us but is such a cuddlebug now. She's really a fantastic dog, and we are so happy with her.

What breed(s) do you think she is? I would love to hear what other people think, I've been very curious about her history.

imagephoto IMG_20130926_074417_zps7daba0ae.jpg" />

imagephoto IMG_20130926_074334_zps37aa6651.jpg" />

imagephoto IMG_20130522_184947_zps1cb0502a.jpg" />

imagephoto IMG_20130728_104811_zpsc6ee0b5f.jpg" />

Comments

• It's not a hokkaido. I dont see Chow- but shelters call anything with a tongue spot a chow mix, even though loads of other breeds have spots. :) She's likely a big shiba mix. Could be a small american akita mix. The second pic gives me an AA vibe....
  • I'm no expert, but funny I was about to say the same thing as @WrylyBrindle...something about that second picture immediately made me think AA. Very cute!!
  • I definitely see Akita in her face.. what a cutie. But those ears are huge!
    Maybe mixed with husky ? From how she spreads her toes out.. but I would think she'd be a lil larger.
  • edited September 2013
    The blaze, head shape, and wrinkled brow (a fault but not uncommon) makes me think "pet quality" bloodline American Akita... but the red with urajiro, size, and coat length and texture says there's some Shiba in there to me. I do not see Hokkaido, Jindo, or Chow Chow (other similar breeds that are often considered).
  • Thank you for your responses! My first thought was american akita, but I thought she was too small. But then again, I don't know how small the pet-quality akitas can be.
  • edited September 2013
    The size of a mixed-breed dog doesn't exclude or determine what breed it is. The way size is passed on genetically is crazy complex. Suffice to say, two average sized purebred dogs of the same breed may not have the same size genes at all, and may only produce midgets or giants when bred together. It gets even worse when you start talking about outcrosses.
  • I see. Thanks!
  • I think possibly a shiba or small Akita with a bully breed. The wide stocky build, short fur, head/snout shape & specialy the feet make me think Amstaff or simular breed. If I were on my computer I would post a picture of my Amstaff
  • Akita mix of some sort. Could be Shiba, (pic three makes me think that, maybe mixed with a heeler or something?) but looks more like an American Akita mix to me.

Doesn't look even remotely like a Hokkaido, but also, they are so rare as to make that pretty near impossible.
  • I see some corgi in the face. Corgi akita would actually work to describe.the face shape, stocking body, and low weight.
  • Also body shape could be some English lab
  • I see corgi before anything else, I like @jessicarabbit 's corgi akita. Plus your pup has alittle bit of a longer body.
  • Yeah I saw Corgi too when I saw the body. A Corgita (Corgi + American Akita).

However, I think most of us agree we see American Akita, I wouldn't be surprised if said owner of the American Akita had a Shiba in tow and forgot to keep an eye on them...

Jesse
  • The size of a mixed-breed dog doesn't exclude or determine what breed it is.
    This is often forgotten and important to remember.

Obviously the most important thing is she is your Dog, and you love each other!
  • edited September 2013
    I thought corgis, like bassets, are genetic dwarfs? Dwarfism is very dominant, which is why basset + anything gets your a basset with the head and coat of the other parent. (Look up basset Akita, its ugly.) If corgis are dwarves, I don't think this dog has a corgi parent, because I would expect its body type to be dramatically different. That said, perhaps it has a half-corgi parent (a corgi grandparent) which means the dwarfism isn't guaranteed to pass on.
  • looks like Shiba x AA or Shiba x Terrier or some kind. I see Urajiro so that's why I say Shiba. The head looks terrier to me.
  • Bassett x Akita. Cute dog.
  • @tjbart17 - Basskita ? :D
    @Nikkisaf - she's a cutie !
  • Thank you! She is a cutie. :)