Ruff Tough Kennels Dog Crate

2»

Comments

• edited August 2013
    @jikjak I've seen them in pickups before. I don't know if it was that particular type of crate or a different brand, but I have seen something similar to that used for hunting dogs.
    Dogboxes. Lots of American companies make them. They're not the same as MIM since MIM is meant to prevent injuries caused by rear-end crashes and are tested for such.

Dog-boxes are meant for transporting a dog or a pack of dogs on trucks; to prevent dogs from falling out of the truck. Not meant to prevent injuries from being rear-ended.

http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/
  • Well, we got the Suzuki and the trunk isn't big enough for two intermediates side by side, lol. It's wide enough, but not long enough unless I lean the back seats forward. Which, I can only do if the kids aren't with me. We were just getting such a good deal on it, though. We talked them down to close to wholesale value and he said he just wanted to get it off the lot, so there ya go.

Now, I have to look at some other option for dog transport, either smaller kennels, or stack the ruff toughs sideways in the back of this SUV. Or, the medium kennels would fit. Although, we've been using a car barrier plus leash restraints successfully for several years, so maybe we should just stick with that.
  • So the rides thread needs a pic of your new ride
  • I was at Wholesale Sports and saw one of these crates and it fit in the back perfectly and looked big enough to my pups. On the plus side, it's also the least expensive crate I've seen so far.

Sosuke fits in it comfortably. He can stand up, lie down, and turn around, so it works. I could have sworn I put him in the same size vari-kennel at the pet store and it was a very, very tight fit (could still turn around and lie down, but only just), but the pet store employee was telling me which crate was which, and now that I'm looking at pictures, I think it was this crate, which is 26.1". This crate has the same measurements as the vari-kennel medium and he fits in this one fine. That would also explain why I remember thinking that the intermediate was huge compared to the medium, and wondering why there was such a gap.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to put two side-by-side, so that's where I might want a medium Ruff Tough. According to its measurements, it would fit beside the Remington in the back. It's narrower, but there's that inch lip on either side of the Remington that makes it wider, so as far as inside space goes, I think they are exactly the same, or very close. The Remington's a bit taller, but I'll just put the taller dog in there. They are 18" and 19" at the shoulder.

When we upgrade to a bigger trunk, we'll hand the medium Ruff Tough down to our future shiba that Noah wants to get and get two intermediates for Rakka and Sosuke.