Hokkaido Association of North America (HANA)

Comments

• If Hana has a logo, I can get it printed up on mousepads, key chains and the sort.
  • The logo should have a flower and a dog.
  • it will! I have been doing some research in preparation:

"Hamanasu, the flower of northland, blooms on the coast of severe environment. It is certified as the flower of Hokkaido due to its rustic and wild dynamism and its vivid color of the flowers."

http://en.visit-hokkaido.jp/hokkaido/hana-land/index.html

"Rustic and Wild Dynamism" is the way to go!
  • To raise money, I'm willing to donate a hunt or two for a auction. The hunt can be an animal of choice and I can furnish most all the equipment for the successful winner as long as they have a legal ca hunting license and appropriate tags which I can help them get.
    That's awesome! I may end up spending more money on this auction than on the dogs, what with all of these great ideas haha.

@WrylyBrindle Ooo super exciting! Can't wait to see it :D
  • This is all looking pretty awesome! I'm usually quite skeptical of breed clubs, but this discussion is going in a direction that I like.

How does one become a member? Has that been figured out yet, or is it still in the works? I'm in no rush, just curious.
  • @Losech- I see that "?" dog... :) and I want to hear more...
  • @WrylyBrindle Ehehehehehehe!

That's what I meant by might be able to contribute somehow :D
  • Ooooooo, that's going to be so cool Chrys.

@araks, @shishiinu @sjp051993 Thank you SOOO much for the generous offers. This really does help.

@losech I do want to maintain a membership with small annual dues, and eventually there will be an application. I do want to have an official annual meeting, which would be (hopefully) a "fun day" event for all owners, and we can review the HANA Project yearly goals, conduct votes, brainstorm, and plan breedings/evaluate project dogs. It's a ways off. I listed some general benefits for members here:

http://www.hokkaidoken.com/Members_and_Contacts.html

• This is all looking pretty awesome! I'm usually quite skeptical of breed clubs, but this discussion is going in a direction that I like.

How does one become a member? Has that been figured out yet, or is it still in the works? I'm in no rush, just curious.
  • edited August 2013
    @omgtain

I took some "lessons" with my Shibas and CO there, but enjoyed my experience at Fido's Farm much better. Have you been there?
  • I'm am really liking all of this. It will be a year or 2 before I can consider adding 1 or 2 to my household.
  • This all sounds really great. Great job, guys.
  • @cezieg - I think a collar with studs arranged like a "flower" would be cool! ~
  • @sjp051993 Perfect, there won't be puppies for 2 years. We'll sign you to the list... whether you like it or not haha ;)

@hondru :)
  • Works for me. I need a couple more dogs to show. I will be more than happy to show some ukc for the club.
  • Does UKC have a standard for Hokkaido?
  • I have to check.
  • aykayk
    edited August 2013
    The UKC does have a Hokkaido standard written in 1996.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/NorthernBreed/Hokkaido
  • Looks like @ayk beat me to it. Yup, there is a UKC Hokkaido standard. :)

@cezeig That's great you'll be moving to Portland. We'll definitely have to have metups for hikes. There are some great hikes all along the Gorge. And I know a good place in Battle Ground that has some decent water access for attempting to makes dogs swim.

@lindsayt Meitou's pedigree is pretty easy. It's the same as Maru's. ;)

@Krisz That's a very generous offer. A Maru/Seta baby would be super cute!

@WrylyBrindle Thank you for your input.

@Losech Ohhh! Mystery dog! A Hokkaido?

As far as things to auction, I might be able to come up with something. Not sure what yet, though.
  • @cezieg Hey there. :) Yeah its been quite awhile ha.. Arkane (the pup you're referring to) was put to sleep last month. ): He had quite a bit of health problems and was constantly sick, and upon x-raying and such had an enlarged heart & some other 'funny' looking things.. Bad days started to over run the good ones and although it was a tough decision it was probably the best we could do..
    Oh man, I'm so sorry. I'm on my second dog (Tsune got rehomed), and hopefully have a long time to go until I personally experience that... but I'm dreading it. All of my condolences :(

@WhoBitMe I can't wait to move, even without all of the exciting things in the works. It's going to be so nice to wave goodbye to the burning sun and smothering humidity. Ren will be able to have as much fun as she wants, instead of burning out on hikes held any time before 5pm, simply due to sun intensity on a dark coat. My future housemate's Shiba is a little adventure girl too, she'll definitely want to tag along :)
  • Sounds like things are coming along nicely! I will submit my application relatively soon. :) This is super exciting!
  • Finally caught up on the thread. I love @wrylybrindle's thoughts. It's definitely the direction we want to go in. Honest, open and sharing knowledge. I'm sooo looking forward to what you come up with for the logo Chrystal!

I will also be able to offer my artistic services. Maybe I can do caricature/portraits of owners with their dogs, printed on a nice thick poster sheet so you can hang it in your bathroom walls. :D

I THINK my sister (who is a jewellery/metal smith designer) can also donate some of her services and provide hokkaido charms for keychains or necklaces, or make delicate doggy rings that I can design so that it's completely wearable. She can do them in brass or gold or silver, embed semi-precious stones etc. I would have to make sure with her, but if people are interested, that's an idea. :)
  • The anti-hunting dog attitude in Alberta is exactly why it's better to be in Beautiful B.C. ;)
  • @souggy yes, I think BC and Ontario are the only provinces that allow hunting with dogs for large game. (I THINK...) Do you live in BC? :)
  • edited August 2013
    I think in BC you may be accompanied by a dog while big-game hunting, but not hunt with them. They are meant to be bear deterrents. But yes, in Ontario, large game can be hunted with dogs.

And yeah, I live in Alberta and it sucks for that. *sigh*
  • edited August 2013
    I think in BC you may be accompanied by a dog while big-game hunting, but not hunt with them. They are meant to be bear deterrents. But yes, in Ontario, large game can be hunted with dogs.

And yeah, I live in Alberta and it sucks for that. *sigh*
    Hunting of any predators including bears and cougars can be done with off-leash dogs. Dogs must be on leash while hunting any ungulates.
    Do you live in BC?
    At the moment, I am inbetween the two provinces for work. Unfortunately because of that, I cannot take any non-B.C. residents out hunting since the host must have at least 2-years out of 5 worth of big-game draws (with CORE) or three years with out-of-province hunting exam results (I took mine with AHIEA).

I am not a big fan of Albertans' attitude toward dogs. I get dirty looks when I walk with my dogs off-leash or take them to crown-land. I even got a few idiots who said they will shoot the dogs if they see them running loose on crown-land; even though they not actively pursuing any animals.
  • @souggy That's too bad you can't hunt ungulates with dogs off leash. I was kind of hoping I'd be able to do that (if I end up moving there). I kind of don't want to get into bears or cougars.. at least not until I'm a super seasoned hunter.

And that is SO weird how Alberta doesn't have a friendly attitude towards dogs.. that sucks :( Alberta is also a beautiful place to live with dogs.
  • @souggy - at least for off-leash I suspect part of the hostility is the many irresponsible off leash dog owners giving a bad name to the whole group, including those who are responsible and have good control.

I know after a few encounters with off leash dogs that the owners know will run up to people (solo) or dogs on the street and growl, snarl, and snap and who still refuse to 1) put theirs dogs on a leash, 2) supervise (sometimes the owner is nowhere in sight), or 3) attempt to call them back, I now look at every unknown off-leash dog with apprehension. It sucks because there are some dogs that are good off-leash but if you're a stranger I cannot make that assumption.

But yes, threatening that you will shoot a dog you see off-leash is ridiculous and malicious.
  • Is blood tracking legal in BC?