I'm looking to start a Medium NK Breed club to get chugata NIPPO judges to the U.S.

2»

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Speaking to the "why don't more Shiba breeders register with NIPPO" point, it does have to do with the dual registration issue and paying the fees when no US dogs go back to Japan to compete in nationals. There doesn't seem to be much motivation to keep doing it after the imported parents get here. There is also a lot of breed politics from what I understand, that contributes to the lack of general interest in NIPPO registered litters, since the BSA is usually attended by the same smallish group of people year after year. And you are correct @crimson02 that for someone like me for instance, who has offspring of NIPPO registered dogs, I would have to go back and pay for registration for multiple generations of AKC dogs that were not NIPPO registered once they were born in the US from imports.

In my case, the studs are NIPPO registered, but the dams they were bred to are not, althought their sires were (just no dams). I believe that's what Shigeru had told me at one point anyways, when I asked about it. Lastly, and I am not 100% sure about this, but there are some JKC Shiba breeders who are very famous and have exported a lot of dogs, and I am not totally sure if those dogs were all NIPPO registered either, and several programs have dogs from those breeders going way back to the 90's. That's a lot of dogs to register!
  • I see no reason why the Chugata NIPPO club couldn't do what the Colonial Shiba club does, allowing any and all registries for the show. I don't have NIPPO for any of my Akitas and never had a problem. They accept AKC as well.
  • Nisei week is in a current state of flux as well. Its worth having a booth at the function, I think it's a great event.

Kennel clubs in general are seeing a decline in participation. One simple solution is to allow altered dogs to participate. Another option is to run open shows for a couple of years. Akiho allowed the two European branches a couple of years before they went Akiho only.

• Maybe having a booth at Nisei Week 2014 is step one to raise awareness and get members, and then booth and show to follow in 2015...
    Maybe a NK Planning Picnic in Fall 2013 (invite the BSA and AKIHO organizers to pick their brains) followed by Club Picnics in subsequent years. Don't want the fire to die out even if there's no show in 2013...

• I see no reason why the Chugata NIPPO club couldn't do what the Colonial Shiba club does, allowing any and all registries for the show. I don't have NIPPO for any of my Akitas and never had a problem. They accept AKC as well.
    Not a bad idea @poeticdragon. So, it would be any and all registries as long as they are NK breeds? I know the Colonial Shiba Club allowed both contest entries as well as evaluation only for altered dogs. That was a great way to get participation by owners of NK who had altered dogs.

Jesse