Yamabushi no Kona -- Update and Snow Fun 2-8-16

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Motts is Giant Kona: Kona is Pocket-Motts!

:)
  • LOL!! :))
  • ahh I finally got around to seeing this!! The video of Kona being introduced to the water is hilarious and SUPER CUTE!! She's so little and sweet!! I love the photo of her sleeping on Nate. She seems like a cuddle bug :) AHH I LOVE KONA!! She's absolutely the cutest and the sweetest!! <3 Where abouts do you live again?? Trying to see if a meetup is possible. hahaha
  • Haha @thegela! :D OMG, I wish you could have been there in person when I shot that video...we had literally just gotten down to the beach, I got my camera out and started filming her because I saw how curious she was getting, then BOOM! Straight for the water LOL! Way to dive right in, right? :P

And you're so sweet!! Speaking of cute, Hana is SOO EFFING ADORABLE. She really reminds me of Kona in so many ways hehe ^_^

We live in San Diego, CA..where do you live again?? If I remember correctly, I remember hearing Canada...if so, where in Canada do you live?? :)
  • Ahhaha thanks!! Kona's silliness reminds me a lot of Hana too! Maybe that's why I feel so "attached" to her in some weird way. I wish Hana was as outgoing though! We wouldn't be able to go to a beach unless it was isolated/private. Hahahah.

YES her dive in was HILARIOUS!!! Her thought process was confusing but soooooo funny hahahah. So freakin cute.

I live in Toronto, Ontario right now.. but we're hoping to move to Vancouver, B.C. Which means it'd be just a road trip south! :)
  • Everytime I watch a video of Hana, ESP when she does her little spaz-out sprints and bounces, I feel the same way! <3

Does Hana just get nervous/shy around other people or dogs? Kona was reeeally shy in the beginning...of everything lol. Took her a while until she started actually wanting to go and initiate approaching people (she was quicker to do that with dogs, which makes sense :) ). There are still some men though she REALLY doesn't like...she feels really uneasy around them and I can't find ANY correlation between them all (all the ones she acts this way around). But man, I tried having them feed her treats, let her come to them rather than them approaching her, nothing. I guess I get it, there's just some people you don't like, right? Lol. :P

And ooo that would be AWESOME! Man..funny thing is, my mom is RIGHT in your area right now for work!! And she NEVER travels, but every time she goes it's Canada...I joke with her she should just become a Canadian citizen haha! :P Last few times she was in Halifax (i think...if that's where the Alexander Keiths brewery is, then that's where she was LOL.).

AND if you did come down, you would get to see both Saki AND Kona (and Kona's new baby sister! Still haven't decided on a name though lol...now Nate finally chimed in with a name, and he's NEVER been thoughtful or creative about these kinds of things! He likes the name "Tora" and "Kimber". So now I'm considering those too because I'm just happy he's throwing out names HE likes haha!)
  • Yeah, Hana is more on the fearful side of the nervous/shyness. The ONLY place she feels relatively comfortable enough to be herself is when we're isolated somewhere (at a beach) or surrounded by trees in a forest (some people walking by is now okay. She used to sprint away in the opposite direction and I used to have to chase her down, but now she will walk around them and avoid them, which is a HUGE improvement. hahaha)
    Outside the house, even when there's nobody outside, even when it's past midnight and it's silent, she is only comfortable to walk maybe 50 meters from the front door? And then as soon as she's done potty she wants to go right back in. hahahha. She's SUCH a scardy cat, but I have since learned that this is who she is, and it may take years if ever for her to be okay in public space that's not surrounded by nature. But it's okay. I love her still. :) (and yeah, sometimes we just have to accept that we can't change their minds about certain things they don't like. SO stubborn that way. haha)

Aww I'm so excited for Kona's little sisterrrrr!! They're going to be sooo bouncy and cute together!! hahah love it!! :)

• Awe little Hana!! Who wouldn't feel most comfortable out free in nature to romp around with no one watching!! :D I know I always do ;) but that really is a big improvement, as little as it may seem to some. I think when she feels ready she'll decide to not be so scared of people (just like she did on trail!), and I'm sure there will always be certain situations/people she just does NOT like lol! They really ARE stubborn that way xP

I'm so excited too!! I can't wait for the bouncing LOL! :D
  • @mdokic Are you getting Kona a Kai sister? Sorry if I missed this somewhere. :)

@thegela If if do ever move to Vancouver, B.C. let me know, if you ever want to try to meet up. That's only a few hours from me.
  • @WhoBitMe I think I only mentioned it on FB, but I am!! ^_^ picking her up pretty soon...I'm counting down the days I'm so excited lol. :P
  • Aw!! I didn't know you were getting another one! Good luck keeping up with them, my ladies keep me very busy (in a good way)!!! So exciting!!!
  • Yes!! I believe you haha, I'm really excited! ^_^ when I move into a house I would definitely like one or two more dogs (would love one to be a dutchie!)! Dogs really are worth any bit of time you put into them...we get so much love in return <3 !!!
  • Wow! Congrats! How soon? Before or after we meet up? ;)
  • Haha! Leaving in just over a week, so idk! :P If it's before we meet up, you'll just have to meet two of them haha :)
  • So exciting! You'll probably have a lot on your plate for a while, but let me know when things settle down enough! :)
  • Haha, yeah...it's going to be quite the busy first couple of months (also with work, we're ending the Fiscal Year, so things are getting extremely hectic haha). But as busy as it's going to be, I CAN'T WAIT. ^_^ And I definitely will let you know! :D
  • Kona is adorable....It looks like she is has a really nice coat like her brother. Good luck shes gonna love having a playmate it seems based on her beach pictures. : )

Snf
  • Thank you!! :) I really think she will...it'll get some energy out too so she doesn't just have to play fetch the whole rest of the day when we come home! :P
  • @mdokic Aw, congratulations! That's so exciting!
  • Thanks!! :D
  • @whobitme oh I definitely will!! That would be so fun, esp with @cezieg in the area! :)
  • Kona has never been mean to other dogs just for no reason before, and now she's been really mean (mostly growling and barking with her ears back, eyes dialated, etc..) when some dogs come to her at the dog park. The first time it was a Frenchie who she always LOVED to play with..she was watching him and Kimber wrestle together, and afterwards he happily hopped over to Kona and she just snapped. She started barking and being super defensive for no reason. Poor guy kept hopping around like "wait whaa?! what'd i do!?" Someone thought she was being protective of Kimber, but I thought that didn't really make sense because she should've theoretically been fine then once he left Kimber and came to her?

The next time it was another dog she always played with..this dog did nothing with Kimber but ran up to me to come say hi, and Kona chased her, BARKING and snarling and pinned her down...again with a really aggressive demeanor. So, Kimber not involved (was present, but not involved).

This time today it was a brand new puppy...same age as Kimber. Kimber and the pup were playing and ANY time it would get near Kona after playing with Kimber she would do the same thing as described above. She didnt pin this one down, was more just vocal.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be from? I know there isn't a whole lot of info here, but i just have never seen her like this at the dog park before and I don't want this behavior to get worse. Should I maybe try and take her down to the dog park without Kimber and see how she acts around other dogs then?/When she acts aggressive to other dogs what should I do as a correction? Help is much appreciated!
  • Sounds like a good plan. For a correction I would do a 'no' then a time out leash her and make her chill with you or remove her from the vicinity. Could it be she doesn't like being second fiddle? If her friends are playing with kimber first? Do dogs think like that?
  • Have they been out in public together alot like wal2jing at parks or stores?
  • Have they been out in public together alot like walking at parks or stores?
  • @cdenny i was kinda thinking along the lines you were, but i wasn't sure if that was possible either? good to think about! and i've tried to take them on as many walks together as i can out where people are, etc.. they seem to do fine. Now it's kinda hard to take the two of them out together without Nate's help, but I still try to :)
  • Kona had a big day yesterday!! Her first time at the BEACH! :D I was actually really surprised that the very first thing she did was BOLT straight into the water without me being in that deep, but she did! She didnt quite go that deep again, but she did wade around and play with other doggies in the water too :) We fed her some treats to encourage her that water is FUN! She seemed to enjoy just walking in, then SPRINTING around the sand and up and down hills...overall it was quite the adventure.

Here's her first leap of faith!!

Then some pictures of her exploring and investigating this big body of water :)

Oh yeah...and there was DIGGING lol

LOL, oh yeah...and she also had her first brewery experience at Rough Draft Brewing Co :)

And the manager at Round Table on campus (where me and my best friend would code while sipping on beer haha) wants to make her the OFFICIAL UCSD Round Table mascot! :D

Sorry for all the photo spam!!! I just had to share! Looks like she's liking the water, and JUST in time for the coming summer!! The ocean is my favorite place and I get to share it with my favorite girl <3</blockquote>
    Beautiful ! If there's one thing Kai are made for its water. They love it! I took my dog to the nature reserve to swim but we were driven out by the highly dangerous, highly annoying, highly adorable dez nutz gang otters! They tried to drown her with their cuteness!......and teeth :p

• Hmm, that's a tough one to figure out. She's not currently in heat, right? Or injured anywhere? It could be that she had a bad experience with a strange dog at the park recently and is on edge. Are other resources like food or toys present? Is there anything different about her interactions with dogs she doesn't pick fights with? What kind of dogs were the second two she went after? If they were all brachycephalic like the frenchie, that could mean something. (Kouda has had some issues in the past reading brachycephalic dogs.) Does it ever happen in the middle of play, or is it always in the beginning? Like, does she ever seem "okay" with an interaction and then just snap?

It probably would be a good idea to try doing more without Kimber around. Kona might just be frustrated and need more individual attention.
  • Sounds like jealousy to me. Cayenne is great with other dogs specially at the park. In fact we took her and yucca (yuccas first time) to our big dog park & they didn't great, however, cayenne gets jealous of other dogs coming up to me. That's the only snapping she ever does. It could be a dog she loves playing with but if they come up to me cayenne with shove them out of the way or nip at them. Maybe kona is feeling jealous of dogs going near you and kimber
  • Hey that happened to me when I pet a kangal, my dog got mad and attacked him.