Max's photo spam thread (Panosteitis Help Wanted)

First meet, and on the trip home from Izumo Yano Sou, big thanks again to Kato for all the help.
Some of Yano san's past champs
These were at a rest stop on the way home.
Very calm around other dogs
My wife Marie and our son Aksel with Max.
About a month later
At the Kintai Bridge park in Iwakuni about 5 minutes from where we live
After the trip Max is in the back room and my son Aksel on the couch.
At Miyajima there are small deer wondering around everywhere. as much as i would have liked to get a picture of that it was way to hard to take a picture and hold max.

Comments

• What a cute Shikoku!
  • Adenney! Love the picture before last!
  • Max's new friend from the Kintai walk.

A picture of another of Yano san's handsom shikkas that I fogot to post earlier.

Yano san's wife during our sit down/interview and my friend/assistant translator/road trip buddy. It was about a 7 hour round trip drive (and my back isn't the greatest). Lot's more pictures around the floor of their dogs, and other companions. they were very much animal lovers in general but lean towards Shikokus the most.

after his first bath

• Oh my gosh, Max is such an adorable Shikoku Ken! Please post more spam pics!
  • He is the cutiest! Congrats!!!
  • I'm not sure how to upload the video here but here are a few links.

• Nice photo album! And nice to see more about Yano-san since most of us owe a lot of our genetics to his contributions in breeding shikokus.

Max is really cute! He looks a lot like the male I co-own with Katja and Mac (named Shogun). We imported him from Yano-san last spring.
  • What a handsome shikoku!!
  • Max is very handsome, he looks very smart too! I'm loving the Shikoku breed, keep the pictures coming.
  • @ADenney - I see Yano-san's wife is holding a picture of a horse? Do they own/breed horses too?

Interesting to see all the shikoku dog photos all around her living room!
  • So cute!
  • @ADenney - I see Yano-san's wife is holding a picture of a horse? Do they own/breed horses too?

Interesting to see all the shikoku dog photos all around her living room!
    I'm not sure if they bred horses but I know they owned a few but they don't have any more now. At least not that they mentioned or that I saw, and the way she was talking it was like she missed the horses so I really don't think so. Most of the photo's on the wall were their award winners. I was very impressed with the way they handled business and they are very proud of what they have done with the breed the last 50 years. And they should be, Kato-san told me they are the most awarded shikoku kennel in Japan.
  • He's very cute! Congrats! He reminds me of my Takoda in the head a little. :)
  • @Crispy - he should remind you of Takoda some because TK is from Yano-san's breeding program, as is this shikoku Max. Plus Yano-san line breeds to keep type, so his dogs look very similar in the head especially.
  • @Edgewood - I thought that might be it! :)
  • Gorgeous dog!!!! I really want to get a Shikoku! I have friends in Tokyo that can help me out. Do you mind if I PM you some questions?
  • Thanks SO much for sharing. I'm begging my hubby to get a Shikoku as our next dog !
  • Gorgeous dog!!!! I really want to get a Shikoku! I have friends in Tokyo that can help me out. Do you mind if I PM you some questions?
    Any questions are fine I would be glad to help.
  • Ok so I'll try to get some more pictures soon but i have a few questions about a bone disease the vet has brought up as a possible suspect for some problems we have been having with Max.

Panosteitis strikes puppies between 6 and 18 months of age. There can be shifting leg lameness which ranges from mild to severe. There is no specific treatment for the condition, but fortunately it typically resolves on its own. Pain, if present, should be carefully controlled, and proactive preventive steps should be taken.

this is the best description i could find and i have been in contact with the breeder and Kato about the situation and they have been very helpful. Any information the community could give me would be great and I am mostly looking for over the counter (online orders if possible as its hard to find stuff in Japan) Meds that people have had success with as the vet here is not much help and the meds for a week seem steep at best at over 100 bucks a week. It does come and go and switches legs and Yanosan has said he has seen it before and it phases out normally by 1 year of age. Max is around 10 months now and still limping. X-rays have also shown slow bone growth so we stay on the minimal levels of the current meds so as to keep some pain so he does not over exert himself. He stays in good spirits and seems to be happy just limping. seems to be 1-2 weeks per leg then he is fine for a week and it will return on another leg.

Sorry for the long post like i said we are just looking for input thanks in advance and have a great week everyone.
  • edited July 2013
    How's Max doing? ~
  • I, too, would like to know how Max is doing.

Britain
  • going on two weeks now with no issues and hoping for the best but we have been here before. He always gets more energetic when his legs don't hurt (obviously) and its like he over exerts himself then it will act up again. So we are keeping his running to a minimum now to let the bones grow properly as per the request of the vet to an extent (wanted him to stay in kennel for months only coming out to use the yard). Just trying to keep a close eye on him and make sure he has what he needs to heal up and grow properly planning another vet trip soon and will update with the photos.
  • Oh man he is beautiful and super tough looking!