Final, Sad Update on 12 Year old Jindo in shelter

edited July 2013 in Rescue
Rosalind Behenna ( a member of the Forum) posted this on her Two Dog Farms Rescue FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.656768821018287.1073741877.292997540728752&type=1

This old guy really needs a good hospice foster or adoption home ASAP!

If you could help, please contact Rosalind at: info@twodogfarms.com

Comments

• Oh, that's heartbreaking! Poor boy, I hope he gets a place soon!

• SUPER URGENT!!!!
    Please SHARE URGENTLY!!!
    This boy is sick and the Baldwin Park, Los Angeles Shelter just called our volunteer (Tuesday afternoon at 5pm) to say he needs to be out TONIGHT by 7pm...

He needs a hospice foster NOW! We do not have funds to keep him for a lengthy period at the vet (as we have had huge medical bills recently) and need a home for him!

CAN YOU HELP?!
    info@twodogfarms.com

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.656768821018287.1073741877.292997540728752&type=1&l=7c118ed09d
  • I would but I'm not in LA... I really hope he gets a place.
  • Update from Rosalind ( about 15 minutes ago)
    Two Dog Farms, Inc.
    It appears that when our volunteer went to see him today at lunch time he was deteriorating and the shelter gave us until Thursday to get him out. However at 5pm they called our volunteer to say that it looked worse (she confirmed that his breathing was labored - possible pneumonia) and that we only had until 7pm tonight to get him out. Despite our efforts and the sharing of our supporters, we have not been able to secure him a hospice foster...if he has not already been PTS by the shelter, that is their intention now.

• I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor boy. :(
  • Oh no! If I were in the area, I would take him. :(

I hate hearing things like this. I wishing could save them all.
  • There is a possibility he is still alive at the shelter.

From Rosalind:

Checking now as they had definitely told our volunteer it was to be by 7pm last night - she stayed there until they closed last night in case we had an offer to help him.
    about an hour ago

• From the Two Dog Farms Jindo Rescue FB

FINAL UPDATE: (from our volunteer):
    "What a day....... this boy was sadly but humanely and gently euthanized today at my vet.
    I couldn't stop thinking about our boy all night and again today. I looked at his picture and cried. Then I looked online so see his status. I was surprised to see him still there this morning. My gut told me to go get him, treat him and then figure it all out later. I thought I had a chance. He was not in his kennel so I went straight to the desk and cut in front of everyone (this was an emergency so I did not wait in line....I knew the clock was ticking.) I spoke with an Officer and he said that they discovered a microchip today. So they were going to hold him 10 more days(!). They called owners but no response. I knew that just meant more suffering especially without vet care. I asked if I could take him and he requested I foster him due to the legal 10 day hold on microchips. I told him YES and then I took him straight to my vet for treatment. However, I suddenly realized how bad a condition he was in when the shelter asked me to pull my car into the back of the shelter so they could load him up. I couldn't believe his lifeless body. He was completely non-responsive. I pet his head and he was completely out of it, his eyes were somewhere else. I still thought we had a remote chance. I got him to the vet right away and the vet told me he was in such terrible condition he strongly recommended euthansia. He said that given his condition (unable to stand. foul smell and urine all over his coat) and his age, 15+, and his back end down,) he said he most likely had either cancer or organ failure, or something else terminal. He thought he would suffer the more we prolonged his life. Sadly, we called the shelter to get authorization to euthanize. At first I overheard they wanted me to bring him back to the shelter and I just could not imagine him lying in a holding kennel any longer. I talked with the Officer and got the approval.
    So very sad today, but I'm glad I got him out of there. I can't imagine him lying there any longer. Poor baby......I will never forget him...."
  • That is heartbreaking! Where were his people? that's the thing that makes me crazy!

But I'm glad he got out, even if it was only to have a more peaceful, caring end. :(
  • @sukoshi, thank you for ending his suffering. At least he was with someone who gave a damn in his final moments.
  • :( this makes me so sad.
  • So sad...I agree with @BearMom though. <3
  • So sad :( I also second @BearMom 's comment.
  • Aww... I'm crying now. How could his owners not call everywhere looking for him? At least her was with sometime who cared for him and had his best interests at heart in his final moments. :'(
  • @BearMom- I didn't take care of him in his final moments.

One of the volunteers who works with Two Dog Farms Rescue did that.
  • There are instances when a family goes on a trip and have the dog taken care of by a friend, that the dog escapes the yard. Daejin, a white/cream Jindo male considered as the best stud in the US at the time, was euthanized at a shelter when he was picked up as a stray. The person who was supposed to take care of the dog didn't want to tell the owner and his owner never knew what was going on.

However, I've run across some people who think that it's okay to bring an old, sick dog or an unwanted, aggressive dog to the shelter to be euthanized rather than bringing the dog to a vet to be euthanized. They had the idea that since they pay taxes, this is a service that shelters should give for free.

If there are surrender fees put up by shelters, they would lie about finding a dog vs. giving up a dog.

• edited July 2013
    @ayk Because of people lying about surrendering the dog, I was unable to help a dog I found wandering dazed on the street in my area. When I went to the shelter with the dog (a little white poofy thing, clearly just got lost had a collar but no ID) they wouldn't take it without a fine because they assumed I was surrendering it. They told me to take it back where I found it, let it go, and have animal control pick it up. How stupid is that?!

(Anyway as it turned out, the shelter decided that I had found the dog outside of their area and I had to go to a different one significantly farther away. They were much less assholeish about taking the doggy, but since it was NOWHERE near where I found him I don't know if his people got him back...)
  • I got the "yeah sure, he's a stray" look when my brother and I found a stray golden retriever in AZ. Since the dog didn't have a tag, we were told to bring him to the Arizona Humane Society.

The AHS was highly skeptical when we brought him (I felt profiled), but they believed my response when I said I didn't even know if he was intact or neutered. (It was all yucky hair down there.)

When I mentioned that he came with a purple collar, it jogged one person's memory, and he pulled out a photo album of reported missing dogs. One was a golden retriever with a purple collar.