Kai Ken Growth Rate

13»

Comments

• Aww! Big brother is so handsome! Shelby has been holding steady at about 35 pounds. She is pretty solid and still likes to be held. It's my daily arm workout to pick her up!
  • I love the pic of the Brindles altogether! Beautiful!

Leo, of course, is not from the same crew, but I'm going to take him to the vet today for a rattlesnake vaccine, so I will report back on his weight! He's a bit over a year old so shouldn't grow much more.
  • edited June 2018
    @tmd yeah, they are smaller than they look, so I think it really helps to show them with other dogs when possible, or some kind of reference. If you look at threads with pics from meetups or the NIPPO Classic you can get a good reference. I knew how big AA and shiba were, and I had met 1 shikoku before I got my kai- but I had to really learn to adjust my expectations for NK sizes otherwise. At the NIPPO show I met so many more kai, shikoku and JA (and Kishin the Kishu) and I have it down now.

Goro and Koda are the real Kai Giants at 50lbs! I dont think Matsu will get 10 more lbs, but I know he is on the cusp of the late-first-year growth spurt, so 45 is my wager.

ETA: he is now 5 years old and has been 44 lbs forever. Good wager, Past Chrystal.
  • OMG! LOL! @Myabee09, Kona has been holding steady at only 21.5-22 pounds...im officially convinced i got a micro-kai. hahaha :P I keep trying to feed her more occaisionally too because i keep feeling like "omg, am i starving her!? :( " and then she just POOPS more, and more OFTEN, or can't hold it down. -_- I wonder how big Sumiko is?? Because I think Saki is also larger than Kona, almost 30 pounds (if not 30)?
  • @tmd Goro is 52 lbs. I think Matsu is going to end up like him. Give and take a few pounds. ;)
  • @mdokic and I think Kona is the perfect example of the deceptively small kai. She's put together like a big dog and in some of the beach pictures she looks almost as large as a GSD, but then you see here in someone's arms or next to something recognizable and it looks like she shrunk :))
  • SO true hahaha! My cousin said the same thing when she saw Kona the other weekend. Kona walked in and she goes "wait WHAT?! Is this the same Kona I saw in your pictures?! Is this how big she's going to get?!" LOL. I love it though hahaha...she's small and compact (my townhome doesn't seem to small for her :) ) but she can keep up and do so many "big dog" things...and i love that Kais have all the proportions and features of a larger dog, but are smaller :P Well, except for the mosters Goro and Koda! xP
  • I'm beginning to think Shelby is a giantess Kai! She doesn't even look fully filled out yet... She is definitely not dainty like Mya is. That little Shiba only weighs 15 pounds on a good day.
  • I love it! :) It's so cool to see the variation in sizes even between the same gender from the same litter :D
  • I'll have to get hubby to take a picture of me holding Shelby and take another of me holding Mya. I'll post them as soon as we can get a good picture where the dogs look at the camera and I don't resemble a wildebeest.
  • LOL at the wildebeest thing! :P And yay please do! <3
  • @mdokic i love Kona and all of her smallness!
  • DAAWWEE!! :D Me too hehehe :)
  • Leo weighs 43 pounds. My vet thinks he could lose 1 pound or so, so he should be around 42. I don't think he's going to grow anymore. :)
  • I wanted to log in this thread that Matsu is 10 months old and his growth at this stage is in his legs. He looks less burly and more leggy. His rump is slightly higher than his shoulder right now and he looks kinda teenagery. His legs seem more racy, but his paws- the front ones esp- still look a little too big. Back before he began this growth spurt, his body seemed long, and now his legs are catching up. He is also really lean now. I had cut his food amount because he had an injury to his paw and wasn't allowed to hike or run around, and he had seemed to pause in growing for a while. So Ive re-upped him to his former cups because he is growing again and lost 2 lbs on the lower ration due to growing so much.

I should not be surprised - Cecilia (Goro's Mama) and Lisa (Leo's mom) told me there was a growth spurt at 10-11 months, and well, I'm SEEING it! Now that he is clear to work hard again, I'm hiking and packing with him and feeding him up and I expect he will finish gaining height and build mass through the fall and winter. I think when his coat is exchanged fully, and he grow his new winter coat he is going to look smashing.
  • Can't wait Matsu all grown up! :x
  • Shelby hasn't hit another growth spurt yet. She looks pretty well balanced now. I'm wondering, do the females grow faster than the males?
  • That would be really interesting to find out!!
  • I know! Shelbs has grown so much and her feet look proportional to her legs, which look proportional to her body. Besides, I don't know how much more she would grow, she's already a tank!
  • Same with Kona, her legs and body look proportional to her feet (and her feet actually look kinda small to me LOL)!
  • But she is so small! If she had big feet, they would look like dinner plates! Mya has tiny feet. I never realized how petite she was until I groomed another Shiba and it was almost twice her size!
  • LOL dinner plates!!! xP and totally, 35 pounds may seem "big" for female Kais, but she is CERTAINLY still very petite!! Holding/handling another dog puts it into perspective for sure :)
  • I wanted to add my data to this thread because I enjoyed it so much while waiting for Hanzo.

As of March 25, 2014 he is 6.5 months and weighs 27.2 lbs and is 17.5 inches tall.
    Two weeks ago at 6 mos. he weighed 25.2 lbs.
    When he came home with me at 10 weeks he was 10 lbs of awesome.

I know that the vet has regular weight updates, but I don't have all of those at the moment. Maybe I'll try to have them print them out for me next time I go so that I can fill in all the blanks.
  • Oh! Tavi is Hanzo's sister.
    She was 22.8lb last Wednesday and is 16.5 inches tall. I got her at 8.5 weeks old and she was 6lb. :)
  • I was wondering if there was a guide on what the Kai's height and weight should be?

How tall (at the withers) is your Kai? (general question to everyone)
  • At 5 foot 7 mine comes to my knee (head just above shoulder right below), she is female breed average, I can take measurements later. Kais are much smaller than everyone thinks. Bigger than a standard shiba (though mine.is a dinosaur and as tall but not as long as my kai) and proportioned like a big dog but smaller than your average medium dog.
  • Mika was 4.75 lbs when we got her at eight weeks, and at her 11 week check up last week she was 6 lbs. Everyone she meets still thinks she's a cat [especially children] and I look forward to seeing what she will look like all grown up! She is getting more gold in her fur by the day so we are very interested in how her brindle will turn out :]
  • Tsuki was 8.4lbs at her checkup around 9 weeks. At her 11 week checkup for shots, she was 11.8lbs. I swear, she's just might have a little more of Akashi than anyone thought XD

• edited June 2018
    Juno (f/spayed) is now 7 years old and still 27 lbs.
    Matsu (m/intact) is 5 years old, still 19.5- 20" and 44lbs

Tamaki (f/intact) is 4.5 months old and 18 lbs
    ETA: Tamaki at 8 months is 25 lbs and is starting her first heat

Its interesting to reread this since Matsu's birthday is only a week (and 5 years) before Tama's. I can kinda compare them.