Akita Puppy Tail Issue

Hello

Well this may not be anything to worry about but there is hardly any information that I can find on the internet about it so I am hoping some of you may have had similar experiences.

My AA puppy 10 weeks has a tendency to let his tail just hang down....not have it curled over his back. He can curl it over his back as I have seen this but a lot of the time he just leaves it hanging. Is this just a puppy thing or is this totally unusual?

Thanks for any answers

Comments

• edited November -1
    It's usually a temperament thing. If a dog is insecure or scared it'll leave its tail down. On the totally opposite end of the spectrum, if they're really relaxed a lot of NK will let it drop.

Some dogs are just more predisposed to leaving their tail down, some of it is temperament, some of it can be because of the dog's anatomy (positioning of the dog's tail etc). Some NK have a tighter tail, some looser. It's not unusual to see NK tails drop on occasion.

The breed standard calls for tails to be held up in a sickle or curl, but as long as you're not showing it's not a big deal.

Out of my three NK, Haru's tail is really tight and is up around 99% of the time. Baron and Momo have much looser tails, and when they're relaxed indoors their tails are usually down (especially Momo's).

Group Photo
  • edited November -1
    Thank you for the input and your dogs are lovely!!

I would hope that he isnt insecure and scared as he does it quite often, even when playing or exploring in a playful mood around the garden or just generally when he has woken up and is going to get a drink or even running to come and get his food....as I mentioned it just varies as he can sometimes have his tail up during all this too! He is bred from show parents and from what the Breeders have told me has got good conformation and they knew I may be interested in possibly doing a bit of showing so I am hoping I have just got a very relaxed puppy. Although health and temperament are most imortant to me so if this his tail is slightly wrong then that will just have to be the way it is.

Thanks again!!
  • edited November -1
    My female Kai has a curled tail. She will let it down when she's really happy and relaxed and when she's so tired she could fall asleep standing up. She also let's it drop when she's having a really good meal and into gobbling it down.

All in all she only lets it down when she is comfortable. Just gage your puppy, you will soon learn why. I don't think it's a bad thing physically though. It's definitely an emotional response.
  • edited November -1
    I'll add that if you are interested in showing your dog, there's a lot of work that goes into getting your dog ready for the ring. Acclimatizing your pup to the atmosphere is very important. I'm sure your pup's breeder can give you tips and stuff.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Shigeru and Tara. I've only lived with a KBD, but she also has a tightly curled tail. She will let it down when she eats and when she's very relaxed. She doesn't let it down when anxious, but I guess that's different from dog to dog... Some might, this particular dog has NO problems with self-esteem ;o) LOL
  • bump... this is what is going on with my puppys tail. he is 15 weeks. he was the biggest most confident pup in his litter. tail up the whole time I observed him. he has been home with me since 12 weeks old. he lives now with a shiba and a JA the pup in an AA. he dont seem to be shy or scared. infact other dogs dont bother him one bit. his tail is down when he eats or relaxes. during play it is up. when he is being assertive it is up. I am hoping as he ages and his confidence raises, and he feels part of the pack and confortable in his new home his tail may be up more often. not sure if the low tail is to tell the other two that he is not being cocky. my Ja and sheba are slow to except him. the ja is actually doing better then the sheba. so I have sent the sheba to visit a friend and brought my brothers lab into my pack. all temporary. the lab is well balanced and mature. he will help my Aa learn good healthy play. unfortunately the sheba can not be trusted. not while the puppy is so vulnerable. I will hafta wait till he is 6 months old minimum. so his reflexes and agility are better matched to handle the sheba. see my sheba is actually submissive when he knows he is against a greater force. but he is fairly unforgiving to a puppy he knows he can hurt. it is unfortunate. that said the puppy still wants to play with the sheba. but I can not allow it cuz ik what my shiba will do. I have observed thoroughly and my AA puppy is not scared, and not aggressive. he will wait for my Ja to finish drinking with out my Ja having to tell him to wait. he does try to hump the lab. twice now. but he can wrestle with the lab. my JA dont play with other dogs neither does my sheba. so the only good socialization comes from the lab. I am trying to make sure the puppys mental health is developing the way it should. so I dont want any bad experiences till at least 6 or even 9 months old. then I can try to reintroduce the sheba into the pack.
  • My Shiba will drop his tail if he is particularly relaxed, very intent on something, or munching on some grindage.
  • The tail will be fine. He simply may not have a very tight tail. There are AAs that have loose tails, and as Poetic Dragon pointed out in the other thread, it's not a fault.

However the issue with a Shiba is a bigger one, because it will not improve when they are adults if it's not worked out now, and the Shiba will be hurt by the AA. They should not be completely isolated from one another now, but still get to see each other, but in very controlled situations. Have one in a crate in the room and the other out so they get used together. Have very brief intros where they see each other but don't get to actually play. Or let them play, but intervene if the Shiba is too rough. Take them on walks together.

Because if you don't you're going to end up with two dogs that will never get along, and then, as an adult, the Akita will be able to hurt the Shiba. I have this issue--we didn't handle the Shiba/AA intros well with my older male Shiba who doesn't like other dogs, and they had a couple of bad interactions (Shiba bit the AA puppy). After that, because we had other difficult dogs to work with, and the Shiba doesn't get along with anyone, we kept them separate. It was not a good choice--now the AA hates the Shiba and broke a window jumping at him through the window once.

We should have worked on intros anyway, and continued, even if they don't get along, til they at least tolerated one another. They may never have been buddies and hung out together, but at least they would not hate each other like they do. So don't wait!
  • you should wait till he get's little older. but you need to let your breeder know ahead.
    10 weeks old is still young and it may going to curl but not completely.
    normal for that age should be up but not curl.
    also I thought hang down tail is fault for akita.
  • I agree with @shibamistress, don't keep the dogs completely separate or you will have greater issues later.
    Baby gates work great for letting them be near each other while keeping them physically apart. Also, leashing the Shiba may give you better control during the face to face intro's. Be safe about it but definitely let them get to know each other now.
  • you should wait till he get's little older. but you need to let your breeder know ahead.
    10 weeks old is still young and it may going to curl but not completely.
    normal for that age should be up but not curl.
    also I thought hang down tail is fault for akita.
    I didn't mean hanging down all the way, which I should have been clearer on. I meant just laying more loosely across the back rather than tightly curled. :)

• O. that is not a problem. it will get tighter.