Cooling Vest

edited June 2013 in Products & DIY
Does anyone have experience with this product?

http://www.ruffwear.com/Swamp-Cooler-Dog-Cooling-Vest-Sun-Protection-Prevents-Canine-Heat-Exhaustion-from-Ruffwear

I am a big fan of Ruffwear and need something to make the heat and humidity bearable for my akita during walks.

Comments

• I have it! Sasuke loved it. It fits Eevee because I altered it slightly. You need to wet it to keep it cool though.

The store I bought it from says their dogs love it esp when going to the beach. I have a photo of him on my home computer. I'll upload it when I get home.
  • whoa that's so cool! if it really works well i may invest in that...last time we went for a hike it was 7 miles (not too far), but in 77-80 degree heat makes it a completely different story for Kona...we had to take breaks in the shade constantly for her and pour water over her head and ears to keep her cool. I would continue then once I saw her breathing calmed down and she felt cool <3

• Wonder how well it'll work in 100 plus heat. Dogs dont even want to get down the street and back in that heat.
  • @Zinja, Awesome, look forward to your pict. Based on the reviews on their site and your experience I will definitely get one.
  • I live in Florida and haven't had a problem with it... Then again, I try not to walk them when it's really hot, unless we're hiking in the woods.
  • I was told if you live in a humid environment, & put this dog when it's humid out, it can actually make things worse not better. [ because it works the way a swamp cooler does ]

Not sure if that's accurate or not, & I have no experience with this product. Just thought i'd mention it :) ~
  • @Sangmort, I guess I could still use it on drier days. I found reviews online that do say the effectiveness goes down when the humidity increases. Dang that is disappointing.
  • edited June 2013
    I saw this at Woofstock this weekend. We were going to try it on Saigo but after touching it and feeling it, I wasn't all that impressed (it wasn't THAT cold and it was quite heavy after soaking in the water). I think it works better on the short haired dogs. The long Akita hairs prevent much of the coolness from being felt anyways, and if anything, would trap more heat and moisture between the fur and the vest. Maybe this might even cause skin irritation? @BearMom, I agree that in crazy humid weather ( which Toronto is known for ), the vest would do worse!

The best thing is: don't take your dog out in super hot weather. :)
  • My poor Akita won't even go outside now that it's hot. He's not a LC, but his coat is somewhat longer than average. It was 95 yesterday, and I had to push him out the door just to get him to go outside and pee.

I'm not thinking of a cooling coat, but I may try a cooling bed for him in the house....
  • edited June 2013

Here's a really short video of Sasuke in his vest. I can try to take my temp gun with me next time I go jogging with Eevee to see if it actually works or not.
  • edited June 2013
    Well, he looks dashing, and totally unbothered by it, so let us know if you think it keeps him cooler!
  • Saw this advertised in this months popular science. Don't know how well it works. http://www.missionathletecare.com/collections/enduracool-towels/products/enduracool-instant-cooling-towel-xlarge
  • @shibamistress I'm also looking for a cooling bed for my JA.

I saw some versions online:

http://www.theuncommondog.com/Akoma-Hound-Heater-Dog-Bed-Cooler.aspx
    This one is a little bit small, but i dont know how "Chew proof" the tubes are...