a dubious list of most popular breeds. Now with list of dogs falling in popularity too!

2»

Comments

• edited May 2013
    That's so awesome! Yeah...i think for people who are allergic and maybe don't have a lot of time, poodles are great for all the reasons you listed. They really are SUCH great family dogs...it's almost as if it's in their nature to be loving and nurturing to everyone in the household at all times haha. I always say if Rascal could have a profession, it would be a professional cuddler xP No matter where you are, or how you're sitting or laying, he WILL find a way to cuddle!

Here's evidence of that (when we first got Kona too lol...Kona doesn't quite like to cuddle, but also didn't like that Rascal was hogging me, so she opted to lay on my feet LOL)

I can't believe he almost had to go to the emergency room though!! INSANE! I'm so glad my allergies aren't as bad as my mom's...I'm great with Kona (I think it's just because Kais are a cleaner breed...ALSO helps that here in California her fur doesn't have the chance to ever get super thick), but around german sheperds and dogs like that, my allergies go a little crazy :( and CATS. NO WAY.
  • AND WTF?! THE PICTURE WORKED THIS TIME LOL!
  • Great pic! Cracks me up to see Kona down at your feet!

I actually think poodles may require more time, or perhaps it's just her standards. They need a lot of attention, and are pretty high energy!
  • Goldendoodle, Labradoodle, Maltipoo, Yorkipoo, Shihpoo? Please.............
    Yep, just what the dogworld needs........more crap fashion creations.
    Mastiff, DDB and Cane Corso are also in the list.........now just shadows of a dog they once used to be..........
  • @TRDmom Of course Dobermans, Rotties, Boxers, etc have been created by man,
    Those dogs were created for a goal by real selective breeding..........
  • edited June 2013
    And to add to it, here is a list of breeds declining in popularity. This one seems a bit more clear in how they figured it,but it has one glaring problem: it lists breeds, except then it suddenly says spitz dogs have declined in popularity. That lumps entirely too many dogs together!

I note the Basenji is on the list! Which is probably not a bad thing for the Basenji, but I was kind of surprised it was ever as popular as they noted. Same with the Norwegian Elkhound (which apparently does not fall into "spitz" in this article writer's eyes.)

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/20-dog-breeds-fallen-popularity-over-past-decade-122000047.html
  • spitz breeds - this active mixed breed? who the heck is writing these things.
  • edited June 2013
    With Spitz breeds, if you click on Spitz it takes you to a page about the Finnish Spitz, which could explain the barky description.

Eta: 7 of the other listed breeds are spitz breeds, lol
  • edited June 2013
    Basenjis and Elkhounds were never really popular. The list only looked at how many ranks the breed have dropped.
    No. 11: Basenji
    No. 91 in 2002, No. 119 in 2012
    The Basenji is often described as catlike, and although he's highly curious and intelligent, he's not the right dog for anyone who holds possessions dear and doesn't have a rather hefty sense of humor. He's mischievous and has a mind of his own, so if you want to stay a step ahead of him, you'll need to keep on your toes.
    No. 14 (tie): Norwegian Elkhound
    No. 118 in 2002, No. 144 in 2012
    Originating in Norway as a watchdog, flock guardian and big-game hunter, the Norwegian Elkhound has a thick, gray coat and a tail that curls tightly over his back. He's bold and boisterous and needs plenty of exercise to challenge him physically and mentally. Otherwise he can become noisy and destructive.
    Dropping from ranking 91 to 119 and 118 to 144 shouldn't be surprising. It is really difficult to be in the top 50 breeds...
  • I always like seeing your analysis, Souggy, because it makes it clearer. I don't know how many breeder there are overall, so I thought, well, these breeds were more popular than I expected! Still, better for them both to drop down a bit, no doubt.

I love Elkhounds, but yeah, not quiet dogs! ;) Ours had so much to say, so often, even if she was very actively engaged in training or some other activity!
  • When there is a new film with a certain dog breed, the whole list will change again.
    If there is a film about Lassie, Rintintin or Hooch, the popularity of those breeds will rise big time. The negative part in this is, that buyers think they will get the same dog as used in the movies, but don't know it will take hours of training to get such a dog. Breeders who want to make easy money will surely benefit from a breed that is in the media. I Always wonder if the Akita would be such a popular dog if it wasn't for the Hachiko story. But, mankind is really great in creating new dogbreeds and destroying old ones......Most dogbreeds don't really have their Original function anymore, if they look like a certain breed that has a standard as a watch, guard or hunting dog, it is one.
    I really like the history of dogbreeds, when a dog was judged by his working ability and not for the color and the looks. For instance, In the 1940's there used to be 10 different types of Husky's, not much left nowadays.......JMO
  • Definitely some truth to that! On the Shiba side, I posted a link to the Hachiko producer's website, and she said the JA people she worked with adamant about being careful about the breed, etc. (But how can you really do that in a movie? And I do think it is more the fault of the people who buy, as you say, with no thought to the actual dog).

And historically, well, the GSDs in particular make me sad. We have videos around here somewhere of the older type GSDs vs. the newer ones.
  • Ah, the GSD nowadays.....the only dog that falls over his own testicles.......
  • edited June 2013
    I feel like the appeal of the Basenjis peaked perhaps in the 70s... No, they were never that popular though there was a Basenji movie called Good-bye, My Lady from the late 1950s -- NOT what anyone would call a blockbuster, but had enough star power (Sidney Poitier, Brandon De Wilde, Walter Brennan, all directed by William Wellman) and pop appeal that it continues to be rerun.

I think the Basenjis' popularity, especially in the mills (which, make no mistake, can ratchet up these numbers!), continues to be limited by their [relative] rarity and the fact that only breed once a year.

Yet somehow, Basenjis seem to be more recognizable by the general population. Anecdotally, more people can identify Bowpi as a Basenji than Bowdu as a Shiba Inu. And of course, Bowdu used to be mistaken for a "Basenji" all the time. I have noticed this changing over the years though.
  • I still want a Basenji some day, but it may be one of those never fulfilled fantasies....

@kimputai....I laughed (and was sad) but don't forget the English bulldogs on that score....Something really is wrong with a dog that can neither breed nor whelp on it's on its own.

• I was thinking about this video, actually, with the GSDs....I had thought it might have been you who had posted in orginally.....
  • That was me.......on my own board we discuss other breeds and the difference between now and then......but most breeds don't really belong to the Nihon Ken forum...... I like dog history, when dogs were judged about their performance and not just for the looks.
    I did some investigation in the breeds in WW2, that turned in to a huge topic. Amazing how people can really treat some dogbreeds. For instance, in the war there were Dobermans that were really famous.....after the war, dogs that couldn't find a new home, were killed.....so thanks for your contribution on the battle field. And the story of Tago and Balto is also a good example......from life savers to circus attractions.....
  • here is a good GSD example:

Past:

photo gsd7-2.jpg

photo gsd4.jpg

present

photo gsd8.jpg
  • WHOA!! The difference is crazy! Those GSDs looked so muscular...I met some Shiloh Shepherds recently, did the GSD come from them??
  • Yep, Shiloh Shepherds came from the GSDs.
  • I loved the Shiloh Shepherds...i can't believe i've never seen them before! they're HUGE though hahaha...i liked it :)
  • some of the european working lines are still in good shape, and you can get them in the US if you look for that--working dogs, not show dogs. I had a rescue GSD from Dutch lines who was 95 pounds in his prime and looked like the past GSD pics. My friend bought a GSD here from Czech lines who was the same thing. Great dogs both (both now sadly passed on). But neither of our beautiful boys looked anything like the show GSDs....and we were happy with that. The dogs with the sloping back make me sad: there are already going to be hip problems anyway, why make it worse with deliberate breeding? I don't get it.
  • has anyone seen the documentary "truth behind pedigree dogs"? I highly recommend watching :(
  • Yeah i have seen it a while ago. Crazy but true. I think i will get a total mix from the shelter again as our next dog.
  • shibamistress: you can come to me when you're ready for a Basenji ;)