Dogo on Boar (mildy graphic)

2»

Comments

• Thats a great video you posted there brada1878 . Thank you
  • @Clay - Thanks. It's looking like my dogo pup will arrive here this weekend. The dam of my pup is the daughter of "Morocho". I'm excited.
  • @brada1878 you're getting a Dogo pup?! Whaaaa?!! So cool. So how many dogs do you have now?? :P
  • @mdokic - Yes, I've been waiting a long time for the right Dogo pup. I wanted one from lines who test their dogs on Puma. How many dogs? Too many! :P
  • @brada1878 Jealous! I've always been really interested in the Dogo. You'll have to tell us all about your pup! :,( So I can live vicariously.
  • @brada1878 So. Cool. Cant wait to hear all about the pup! LOL i just got a flash of realization. THAAAAT'S why you were asking about names in Spanish!!! :D
  • For hunting mountain lions or for protection?
  • Dude you are really going to have to train that pup to hunt!
  • @ayk - A little of both. Hunting boar with Kishin or Jingu and the Laiki, and as "backup" for when I run Jingu and/or the Laiki on lion. This pup is a gift to me from a friend who I helped with some things.

My dogo's lines are the only puma-tested lines here in the USA. He's from Dr. Ulises D'Andrea-Nores nephew, so his dogs come from La Cocha Kennels (hints how my pup is grandson of Morocho). I had a chance to get a pup out of Morocho, but it was decided that the litter was abit too quarrelsome for my needs, and so I waited for this pup.

@shishiinu - Yep! And I hope you will be fully involved in that task! ;) It would be cool if he was comfortable enough with you and your dogs that you could borrow him if you wanted.

I also hope that once I have him trained I can maybe run him with Sakura... She shows some good instincts for that type of work.
  • edited May 2013
    Running boars with Laikas and a Dogo. Wouldn't that irritate the Laika community?

When you say he is from a puma-tested line, does that mean the puppy will be more dog-social than the other lines of Dogo Argentinos in North America? I know a few bear- and cougar-hunters who bought Dogos from Mexico or Columbia and found them too dog-aggressive to be hunted with.
  • @souggy - I'm sure it will irritate the Laika purists out there. It doesn't take much to do that. But running bay dogs with a catch dog (bay dogs bay, you release the catch dog to catch) is a pretty common way to hunt boar in the US.

Dogo Argentinos are not supposed to be quarrelsome. They are made to run and work in a pack. There are a lot of people who mix their Dogos with game-bred Pitbulls and so produce rather quarrelsome versions of the breed. I know that is very common in Mexico.

Puma-tested just means the dogs from the line are proven on large cat. Most of the Dogos in America come from lines proven on boar, but not used at all on big cat... this line of dogo is proven on both.
  • So where is Dogo Andersino? its already Tuesday and way past "this weekend"... ;) or is it Next weekend?
  • There are pure dogos that are quarrelsome at home, but at soon as they see the hunting gear, their focus are on the upcoming hunt and not each other. Even intact male dogos from different households that hate each other at first sight will settle down once they see that a hunt is upcoming.
  • Thanks for explaining, @brada1878.
  • @WrylyBrindle - I'm leaving in 30 minutes to get him. The heat delayed his arrival till today.
  • edited May 2013
    oh boy! enjoy! He and Sakura will make a nice salt n pepper mastiff puppy set. :)