Odd sightings of Nihon Ken

13»

Comments

• edited May 2013
    American Akitas are typically 2-4 inches taller than their Japanese Akita counterparts of the same gender. They are 1.5x to 2.5x bigger than Japanese Akitas by weight, depending on the individual. An American Akita is roughly 30% heavier than a Japanese Akita of the same height and gender.
  • IGPX anime has a shiba on it as mascot or something haven't seen the anime in while restarted watching it..

Someday's dreamer and someday's dreamer 2 has shiba in it.

First anime the shiba was the means to one of the guys magic I forgot what it is called like the mage have a character they make when they are in training and it comes out during mage action.
    No picture of it, but it's basically a blue clear shiba.

Second anime of it the new mage trainee comes from Hokkaido and she has a pet shiba inu. The dog doesn't serve much except as a pet which shows small appearance of her petting him or talking about him.
    I still need to finish watching this anime I enjoy it kinda laid back and nice artwork style.

Not really in real life sighting, but I enjoy spotting shiba, and breeds I like and anime, movies, and tv shows.

Seen a red shiba on the pit boss show on first or second season I forgot it was being walked in the background..
  • I think there's one in Kamichu, as well- at the temple.
  • My Akita is 110 pounds. He's pretty tall too. However, I thought AAs were smaller than I expected, because I kept running into "grown" AAs, who were actually under a year old. (lots of the AAs I saw and like were actually puppies at shows--I didn't realize though because they were around 6-7 months old and looked grown to me then!)

Oskar got taller/heavier after he turned 1.
  • @saya, @wrylybrindle - Eden of the East also has (an adorable) shiba inu, a red one. I was surprised at the detail. The pup even has a mix of blond and black lashes, which my two red pups have. Also, generally, a really fun show.
  • I know about that anime been wanting to buy it.. haha The shiba on it looks cute.

Summer wars has a red shiba on it as a pet it stays outside.
  • oh yes, my daughter went through a big Summer Wars phase last year...how could I forget? :)
  • Eden of the East, such an awesome anime. The ending was pretty epic too.
  • Last year I saw what I thought was a JA in my neighborhood (JA's in Canada are next to nil, I live out in the boonies in Ontario so it's even more unlikely!). So I've always been wondering whether it was a real JA that I saw or not! But Saigo and I were at Petsmart yesterday and saw the JA!

Me to the lady " OMG, that's a Japanese Akita"
    Lady: "Yes! how did you know...?"
    Me (Saigo sitting beside me): "Saigo is a Japanese Akita"
    Lady: "Oh, he looks different. I thought that's a Shabby Inu"

She got her dog from a petstore 6 years ago and unfortunately there was no info about the dog's pedigree. She was told that it was a purebred JA. Her dog is a very light red and had a husky face to me (longer snout, little mouth from the side, you can't really tell from these pics). Her dog also had light hazel coloured eyes. She was a pretty girl. Could possibly be full JA or mixed husky. What do you guys think?

I'm glad I solved that mystery though! LOL...

• My first thought is that those arent NK eyeshapes. I agree it looks huskyish.
  • Yep, that's what I thought.

And Shabby Inu! ha! Some days all my dogs fit that description--mid coat blowing time that is!
  • So on Thursday I needed to go pick up a family member from school and as I was driving I saw a woman walking two dogs along the road. The first one I instantly recognized as a Basenji and the other? Well, it was a cute little black and tan shiba. The pairing reminded be of @curlytails and Bowdu and Bowpi.

And today when I went hiking I saw a black and tan Shiba as well.
  • My wife finally got a chance to see a black and tan shiba up close over the memorial day weekend at Petsmart in their Doggy Day Car. This dog was the mildest one in the room. Pretty much just sat in the middle of the floor oblivious to all the other dogs running around. My wife fell in love with him or her.

Then this weekend my wife saw an American Akita in Petsmart, beautiful animal. Akita research is what eventually led me here and then ultimately to a Kai. While she agreed the Akita was a great looking dog she was so glad we went with the Kai. I think the size intimidated her.

Alas no shibas or akitas in our future, we have our heart set on another Kai when the time is right. I have Brad's site set to favorites (hehe)