Odd sightings of Nihon Ken

Comments

• I remember watching this Japanese movie when I was still in elementary school. It's about an old hunter hunting bears in the mountains, he only put one bullet in his gun while hunting, and his grandson's got this dog that no other hunters would take.... Here are some photos from that movie. I think it's a shiba in the photos but not really sure. The movie is like 20+ years old, I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet other than posters and screenshots. I don't know if anyone here have watched it, I'd really love to watch it again.

photo bearhunter.jpg
    photo NSnQ6.jpg
  • Saw a Shiba in a random video on my weather channel app today.
  • edited April 2013
    @Jun - Could it be Matagi (The Old Bear Hunter)? Found this on ebay (not the movie but it looks like it's related): http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATAGI-1981-Japan-Film-Old-Bear-Hunter-MOVIE-PHOTO-CARD-/300518037054

Edit: not sure how safe this site is, but it supposedly offers a means to download it: http://twitpic.com/bu3dpp
  • @Calia I think that's the one. Yeah the 2nd link I'm not sure neither hehe. I only knew the movie by it's interpreted name in Chinese. I'll keep looking, someday I might find an old DVD or something. Thanks! :)
  • Isn't that dog a Hokka? I'm not entirely sure, but the face looks kind of like one in the first pic.
  • Though it's not as extreme as some other breeds, I think you see some change in type for conformation shibas due to selection by breeders. That dog bears some resemblance to photos I've seen of shibas from some generations ago. The movie was released in 1982.
  • About half an hour ago, I was having a late night cigarette with my wife in front of our garage. One of the neighbors showed up with a gorgeous shiba puppy! That puppy was so cute and friendly, pretty much one-shot'd my wife lol. He was actually from a local breeder called Koyote Kennels here in Calgary. Has anyone here heard of them? We've been looking for Akita for so long and haven't really looked into shiba at all. But now wife is tempted to get a shiba first lol. The only thing is if by any chance we get an akita puppy this year, then we'll have to deal with two puppies the same time, not sure if it's a good thing or not, any thoughts?
  • Two puppies at once are a handful! Training takes longer and you can end up with dogs that are so codependent on each other that they get severe separation anxiety. They may bond with each other more than they bond with you. There is also the issue of having dogs that are the same age, which means they'll be going through health issues of old age and the end of life at the same time.

That said, two strongly bonded dogs that are raised together can be awesome and amazing to be a part of. I love the relationship Gojira had with Ghidora (6 months apart in age) and was so sad to break them up. :(
  • I saw a Shiba/??? today. From afar I first thought it was a golden retriever, till I noticed the head and tail and that it had urajiro. Maybe shiba and retriever or shiba and chow. It was very overweight, walking down the street with its owner across from the hospital as we left.
  • @poeticdragon sounds like two puppies together can be a lot of fun. I can almost visualize pointing at a poop in my bed and questioning them: "who did this? Raise you hand!"
  • edited April 2013
    @Jun My mixes are sisters. The only problem we've encountered with them is that they don't like it when you take one on a walk and leave the other behind. Other than normal puppy antics, of course, which were doubled.

I saw a Shiba on a local TV ad. I don't watch much TV and we only get like, 3 channels that aren't TV evangelists. I thought it was funny that I spot a Shiba (being walked in the background, not mine) in a local ad the one time this month I decide to sit down and watch something.
  • About half an hour ago, I was having a late night cigarette with my wife in front of our garage. One of the neighbors showed up with a gorgeous shiba puppy! That puppy was so cute and friendly, pretty much one-shot'd my wife lol. He was actually from a local breeder called Koyote Kennels here in Calgary. Has anyone here heard of them? We've been looking for Akita for so long and haven't really looked into shiba at all. But now wife is tempted to get a shiba first lol. The only thing is if by any chance we get an akita puppy this year, then we'll have to deal with two puppies the same time, not sure if it's a good thing or not, any thoughts?
    I don't think it's a great idea to get two puppies at the same time. Shiba puppies, in particular, are difficult (cute, but high speed, into everything terrorists). It's not to be undertaken lightly. I know my godmother was thinking of getting a two standard poodle puppies at the same time, and I really discouraged her, and she was SO thankful, because just one puppy at a time is a handful, at that wasn't even an NK! She got her second about a year later and was really glad she waited.

Also, if you go over to the shiba side you can find more information and discussions about a variety of Shiba breeders, including this one. You will have to join the Shiba forum to do that, but if you're at allinterested in a Shiba you should.

There are a ton of things to watch out for with getting Shibas. Too many are being bred in mills these days, so it is really important to be informed, if you're at all interested in the breed.
  • @Jun @shibamistress Yeah that looks like hokkaido to me. Especially the ears!
  • edited April 2013
    I was visiting my aunt out in chicago last summer and in her condo as we were walking out I saw a shiba that was blind but yhe crazy part was that it wad pinto. It had te cream body but had light red and brown patches I knew for a fact it was a shiba though because I remember reading that poorly bred shibas can sometimes be pinto, I slso asked if she was a shiba owner said yes. Then once we got to the dog park I saw a guy walking to AA's o.o I wanted to stalk them and just stare at their beauty lol I forgot to add my nanook is also best friends with a checkslovakian wolfdog the only one here in the states.
  • @shibamistress Thanks for the advise, I'll definitely do some research before we actually get one. There's also the Pet Expo here in calgary this weekend. Gonna go check that out too, hopefully will see some NK breeders there.

@Hinata23 That dog does look like a hokkaido, that's why I wasn't too sure :D I don't really know too much about the two breeds to tell the difference.
  • edited April 2013
    @Jun - I have four dogs, all under age 3 years old, all I got as puppies [ the oldest to the youngest are exactly 2 years apart. Wraith & Fate are 5 months apart in age, Fate & Dragoon are 15 months apart, and Dragoon & Aggro are 5 months apart.

So, it's definitely do able. The only case I have of [ extreme ] bonding is Fate & Wraith. Fate is extremely attached to Wraith, if you take Wraith out and leave Fate at home, Fate will continually cry. [ he does stop eventually ] That said, Fate is still very much bonded to us as well. None of the dogs bonded more with each other than us tho. They're all pretty close to us.

They did bond by way of age which is cool tho. So Wraith, being the eldest, doesn't favor any of the other pups. But Fate favors him, Dragoon favors Fate, and Aggro favors Dragoon.

It can be hard tho. my house is never quiet since they're all youngins they're constantly playing and rough-housing non-stop. LOL And it sucks to have to go through potty-training so many times right behind each other, but the bright-side to that is I get it all out of the way in one shot. And, they'll all calm down together too. [ I expect I'll be able to get all four to lay down & chill at the same time by the end of the year...LOL ] People are always surprised when they come over and my pups play relatively well together, even with toys or food around, I think it's because they're so close in age.

The expense can be killer tho!!!

That said, I have 4, not 2, 2 is a little easier then 4 :p Definitely doesn't work for everyone, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Would do it again in a heartbeat, and I think I will always get my pups as youngins together in the future. ~
  • @jun - also, if you really want a shiba too, think seriously about rescuing an adult that is puppy tolerant, or getting a retired show shiba first, then a JA pup. Having both raised a puppy, then integrated a retired show dog into the household 1.5 years later, I can tell you that the adult is so much easier and just as rewarding. I also had an unusually easy shiba puppy and it was still a ton of work.
  • @Sangmort You are a very lucky person :) Sounds like you got a very happy house there:D. I don't think I'll be able to handle four puppies though. Two would be the maximum for us for now, but down the road in three or four years, if we move into a bigger house, that might be possible.
    @violet_in_seville I like that idea, getting an adult shiba first might be a better choice for us. Although I still prefer to raise my dogs from puppies. I guess that's because when I was little our family always raised dogs from puppies. But anyways I'm not going to rush for the idea, so far all we know about shiba is they are cute and funny, and not so easy to train. Will need to take some time and look into the breed first :) I think I'm being too greedy, right now I'll be happy if I could have just one puppy (Akita Inu) :D
  • OOH, yesterday was really awesome. I was at the park with my sister and i was watching the dogs that went by. First i saw a little dog with a curl tail, my bad eyesight didn't reveal more but then i saw it was a pug. But then, i saw a little red dog and i asked zohey(me sister) if they looked like a shiba. They were!!!! So i went over and asked f i could pet them and the lady was surprised i knew what a shiba was. The pup was soo adorable!! He was a red named copper and almost two years old. He was so friendly and nice, i was on a shiba high for the rest of the day.
  • Saw this lovely baby yesterday in a park here in Calgary. I think she's a Hokkaiko, not sure. :D :D :D :D :D

Yume April 28 2013 photo photo1.jpg
  • Hey, I know that dog!
  • lol I'd think so, Jeff.
  • YUME!!! WOW she's so big. She's the CUTEST thing I've ever seen :x
  • I tried to hold her but she wouldn't let me :( instead she ninja'd my water bottle and took off :(
  • Man, Yume is so cute. :) Love that she stole a water bottle.
  • edited April 2013
    So cute! :D

Crazy how big she has grown.
  • I found this today. She's a sesame? She still had black hairs like a sable dog on her back.

London REALLY liked her. Thought she was a pretty lady. I think they said her name was Mayumi? I might have misheard. The owners got her from a breeder in Florida.
  • I know the breeder in Florida.... Not good news. :/

Cute sesame though!
  • @poeticdragon - Bad news bears. My first impression of her was that she looked a little different than the JAs I see here on the forum. I realize now that she had a white collar and tail tip (outside of her saddle/sable hairs). Of course, that faded into "omg, shut up there's a JA standing RIGHT there!"
  • I saw an (American) Akita at the dog park the other day. I took the Girls down to the creek, and the Akita was playing with a hound(?). It was a real cool looking Akita too, had some cool reddish sable and white markings going on. Almost the whole head was black though, that was a tad odd.
    For some reason I keep thinking that Akitas are BIG dogs, but every time I see one I think "That's a lot smaller than I thought they'd be..." And the Akitas I run into are full-grown so it's not like I'm seeing pups. Are the AA's bigger, smaller or the same size as JA's typically? I've never seen a JA in person, just the AA's.