My non-Nihon-Ken nihonken: Hakuzan no Kurozakura-go

edited May 2014 in Other Breeds
I present to you Tosa Inu Hakuzan no Kurozakura-go aka "Sakura", recently imported from Japan...

Kochi no Kurozakura-go (高知の 黒櫻号) aka "Sakura"

Kochi no Kurozakura-go (高知の 黒櫻号) aka "Sakura"

Sakura

Thank you to Shigeru ( @TheWalrus ) for helping to make her a reality. :)

Comments

• I love her! Her paws are too cute.

So, when you adding a Tosa section now that you've got one? j/k
  • She's beautiful, and I love her name! (but now that Losech pointed it out, I do see she has the kind of dog toes that kind of freak me out--ok, so I just won't look at her paws! :) )
  • OMG
    Finally!
  • I love her face. :)

How is her temperament? She looks really chill, but aware.
  • I swear you manage to acquire the most good looking dogs. I am so interested to see how she develops.
  • Thanks all!

@Crispy - She's doing great.

Her temp is pretty nice, she is typically cautious for a Mastiff, but not not overly cautious. She has shown very little fear so far, she's playful with some of the dogs and friendly with all of them. She LOVES Chase, but we are working on her manners with her - she's mos def a puppy!

Oh, and she chews EVERYTHING! lol

Interestingly, she is the most athletic Mastiff I have owned at this age - she's pretty fast and can jump really well!
  • We're taking her out to lunch with us in a bit, so we'll see how she does with that.
  • @brada1878
    I really like/am interested in the Tosa breed (I feel like I say this about so many breeds)- every one I've seen (IRL or on the web) always seems very quiet and dignified and generally very impressive. I love her expression and how she carries herself, even as a puppy. :)

I can't wait to see her grow!
  • Ooh she's gorgeous! Congrats!
  • She's cute! Congrats!
  • How'd she do?
  • Oh, yea, she did GREAT! She LOVES food, so that makes it super easy to socialize her.

A few people that met her thought she was a Dane... No one knew what a "Tosa" was.
  • Congratulations! She is gorgeous!

• Cute puppy! Her paws are huge! How big do you think she will end up at full grown?
  • @Edgewood - She's from Japan, so I'd expect her to be a more modest size... Like 100 lbs and 26" or so. The Tosa being produced outside of Japan tend to be much larger. However, she has some rather large dogs in her pedigree so she might be larger.
  • She is so adorable! Food motivated is good. :)

Can't wait to see how she looks full grown hope socialization goes well.
  • Sakura is cute! Congratulations!
  • wow great looking dog! keep up the spam!
  • I can't tell you how many things in my house she chewed lol. But she was a terrific pup, quite easy to handle most of the time, and her obsession with food made it really easy to socialize her. She loved my nieces too, and they loved her.
    Her dam is 50 kg, so somewhere in that ballpark would be reasonable I imagine.
    And @brada1878 that was an athletic mastiff? LOL I'm so used to NK pups. I lost count of how many times I saw/heard her face plant, and cringed.
  • @TheWalrus - She does face plant a lot. lol ... but she also does that from jumping off the couch. It took Blue to like 8 months to jump on anything. Also, she runs as fast as she can. She's the first mastiff pup I have owned who will run flat-out at this age.