Crisp's Foster Dogs (foster failure runs in the family 5/17/13)

edited May 2013 in Other Breeds
I thought... after posting so many of them... that my foster dogs deserved their own thread.

I foster and volunteer for a rescue called "Big Fluffy Dog". We specialize in LGD and their mixes along with herding dogs and other "big, fluffy dogs". Since the rescue has found out what I do for a living, most of my foster dogs have been the "problem children" in one capacity or another, but I enjoy every one of them.

Lainie is a Maremma/Pyr cross who tortured London mercilessly and went to a nice home with an older couple with a lot of experience with Pyrs. We were tempted to foster fail on her a few times, but held it together.
A video of London and Lainie.

Champ is a Pyr/something herdy puppy who is deaf and has some pretty serious separation anxiety. He was bounced around a lot and suffered emotionally for it, but has finally settled back down in Tennessee in a foster home. I hope there's a happy ending for this guy soon. He really deserves it. He tried to help me violently rid my home of cats when he stayed with me.

AND... now I have Parker... who came to me because he was being very naughty to his wussy foster brothers (Newfies). He was LITERALLY walking all over them and beating them up over toys. He hasn't tried to pull the same crap with London and Takoda (or me). We pulled him with his brother (who looks the same)... but the rescue really doesn't know what he is outside of "LGD mixed". I swear I see bloodhound in there sometimes, but I don't know what kind of LGD he could be mixed with. Super cute face though. Super cute everything.
One thing I notice is that his tail set is very high and he keeps it in a wheel when he walks and he has the strangest rear dews I've ever seen. They're literally just tiny nails sticking out of his leg. I know some of the people here are a little more experienced with LGD. What do you think?

Comments

• Aww, they are all cuties! Got no idea on the dews though. That sounds really odd.
  • LoL, he has rear dew claws like Miyu. She just tiny nails that the fur covers up and is easy to miss.

With Miyu I can feel a bone structure attaching the nail, almost like feeling up an actual toe. I wonder if Parker is the same.
  • It looks like he's got even less pad/toe than Miyu.

More info - he's a smidge taller than Takoda (so probably around 20-21 inches) and according to paperwork, 55 pounds. He's only 18 weeks! He's gonna be a biiig boy. I suspect he'll end up with a double coat like an Anatolian. He's got thick hair and baggy skin around his neck and shoulders.

Car full of dog this morning.
    Urge to foster fail is strongest with puppies. Must. Resist.
  • edited April 2013
    I have an Anatolian Shepherd for my newest foster. I think she'll be staying with us for a while. She's super overweight because the previous owners were terrified of walking her (reportedly insanely dog aggro and mildly people-aggro). She WAS very much a guardian when it came to her property, but so far everything's gone very well. She was only mildly reactive to dogs when I was walking her with her previous owner, but I can see how someone might be frightened... it's just nothing I haven't dealt with before.

She met me a few times before I took her in, so I think that helped the transition. She's curious, but not overly so, of my dogs and she's been took meeting my boyfriend very well, but I know she isn't settled in yet and things may change.

ANYWAY... she needs a new name. Her name is currently "Sadie Belle", but the rescue likes to rename the dogs to give them a "new lease on life". I've picked out a few names for her... what do you guys think?

Ayla
    Ceyda
    Esra
    Sibel

Ayla and Esra have been the most popular so far.
    ...and here she is!
  • Ayla is Better Than Ezra :)
  • @JessicaRabbit hahaha

@WrylyBrindle I like Ayla and Esra (Turkish name) because they're both 'moon' names.

Ayla has a nicer ring to it... and a more feminine meaning.
    (It'll probably end up Ayla)
  • She's a pretty girl! I like Ayla.
  • Cute!! I like Ayla too--Esra sounds like Ezra, which is usually a masculine name XD Not sure which way Esra usually goes in Turkish, though, as I don't speak it.
  • She's pretty! I like Ayla too!
  • I like Esra better, personally. Course, on the kinda masculine note, i want to name my daughter Zeus, but i think Esra is really cool. She's a complete cutie pie, i hope she ends up in an awesome forever home. Til then, good luck!
  • I like Esra :)
    She's a cutie!
  • edited May 2013
    Meet Joseph. This is Joe's awesome glamor shot. He is, yes, growling at the camera. He was a little stressed out... but I want Joe. Bad. (un)Fortunately, London had to be dramatic and remind me that I can't afford another dog on my own in case of emergency. I'm still going to foster him over my "weekend" (Sunday-Wednesday) and see how he is in an urban environment. I want to get more pictures of him without him trying to eat the camera.

He was originally taken in by my rescue as a Great Pyrenees (which he does look a LOT like a Pyr outside something as trivial as color) but then some schmuck adopted him and changed all his paperwork to say "Saint Bernard". The only similarities to a Saint I see is in his color - his body is way off and his temperament says "I AM A GUARDIAN" - yes, in capitals. I think he's a total diamond-in-the-rough and could make an excellent -anything- kind of dog if someone put the time and effort into him. Someone needs to show poor Joe how to be a more confident dog and he'll be amazing.

Joe is only a year and a half old and he's massive, but very athletic and lean. I'm really curious as to what he's mixed with (I always am, it's like a game). My first thought was that he wasn't, and that he's just a very dark Pyr... but I couldn't shake the feeling that he reminded me of another dog. Eventually, I realized it was this dog that used to come to daycare named Tanker (Pyr x CAO?) - who I shared with the forum a while back.

• Does Joe bear any similarities to a Central Asian shepherd? (I don't know my CAS.)
  • @ayk
    I'm not too familiar with them in person. I think it was Brad or Jen who said Tanker somewhat resembled a CAO/Pyr... and I can see it in Tanker - he's got that head shape and the body reminds me of the CAO I've seen in pictures. HIS temperament is certainly something different than "Pyr", even the working Pyrs I've seen. Tanker is serious business about keeping the waters calm and gets extremely frustrated with barriers if he sees something he dislikes outside of them. "Etreme" being the key word.

Joe is kind of lanky and skinny (could be because he's a pup) and he has Tanker's head... but with a little more of a stop. Other than that, I see a LOT of Pyr in Joe. I basically see a Pyr of a different color. What he's giving me in way of temperament - right now - is a little more extreme than I'm used to seeing in a Pyr, is all. That could be the stress of having his whole life flipped upside down. If I didn't see what color Joe was, there would be no question in my mind that he was "just a Pyr" going through a rough patch in his life.

I don't know if Pyrs came in that dark a red... but since I've started working for the rescue, I've seen brindle Pyrs and other crazy rainbow colors from working dogs I didn't know existed (these dogs might be mixed with a little something else - but they've got to be like, 80% pyr). I guess "red" is a color in the GP standard, but I can't seem to find a dog that is... what I'd call "red", like Joe.
  • My brother decided to adopt Joseph after meeting him once at my house.
    Here are some more pictures since then.

Tiny, but you'll get the point. My mother sent this to me this morning. She'd given him a solid "no" and "off" when he jumped on her bed and he ran into the corner and hid under the night stand. He's so insecure. :(

Droopy Joe.

Derpy Joe

I don't know if my brother is really ready for a Guardian (with a capital G). Joe has taken Russell (my brother's dog) as part of his "flock". If Russell barks at something, Joe goes on high-alert and starts pacing the yard or checking the windows like a madman.

He also jumped a 6 foot fence to "follow" my brother to work after the first night he stayed. I had to jump into the car at 6:30 and help wrangle the beast and get him back home. He hasn't done it since, fortunately, but my brother wants to put up taller stockade - he wanted to redo his fencing anyway, so I guess he has a reason now!