Odd sightings of Nihon Ken

edited December 2012 in General
I know there is another thread for this but I can't find it. Sorry!

My husband and I are watching Marmaduke (2010) and I was FLOORED to see a red Japanese Akita in the dog park scene. I made him go back and rewind and play in slow motion. Later on it showed up multiple times hanging out on a rock. So exciting! LOL

Anyone have other recent sightings?

PS. The cgi in Marmaduke is pretty good. I haven't watched talking animals since Cats and Dogs, and this is an amazing improvement.

Comments

• I saw that too! hehe

I don't recall anything really.. Except I did see a shiba on pit boss.. It was a quick scene of showing areas of California I think a owner was walking a red shiba. I forgot what episode was it.

Was quick scene so wasn't on the camera for long. Just showed the side of owner and dog or the back they were walking off..

Movie wise no.

Sword of stranger is a anime with a red shiba I think? Bandai is no longer selling dvds anymore.. sword of stranger is sold by bandai.
    blu ray is only version available dvd sold out on rightstuf.. other places might still have it. Really bums me out they're no longer doing dvds.. :\

Ah well I gotten most series I wanted from them.
    http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/euRGlOyxhqXzzig6zq/browse/item/83176/4/0/0

I gotten the sword of stranger recently as christmas gift so haven't watched it yet so can't comment if it's good I first learned of it from house of two bows someone posted about it on comments.

I posted this in case someone might want a blu ray version to watch. Amazon sold out on dvd while ago so some where else might still have the dvd..

Art work someone did. :D
    http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=sword+of+the+stranger#/d2i45su
  • edited December 2012
    I saw a JA while driving in my neighbourhood and almost rammed the car infront of me because I was in such disbelief (and kept staring to prove to myself I wasn't seeing things) LOL ! I haven't seen that dog since.

I only know of 1 fabulous import in Toronto. He is a red male, son of Youushou Go Saginuma, son of Kitanojou Go Saginuma (Meiyosho 2011) from RamsRaspel Kensha in Germany.
    There are also probably a spattering of dogs from akitainu.ca.
  • I met a white JA at a Starbucks across from my vet's office this summer after Mika and Koda's appt to get shots.

I met a Kishu at my doggie boutique. He is an import who lives near me. That was a shocker.
  • Wow, a Kishu!
  • I had already been told he was around so it didn't shock me but it wa still cool. His owner couldn't believe he was meeting a Kai. I guess that was his shocker.

Same with the JA owners. They were amazed to meet Kais in person. I guess my dogs are other people's odd sighting.
  • Koda and Mika were a woman's odd sighting this morning. It's very rare that I meet someone who actually knows what a Kai is, but it does happen. This morning, we were coming home from our walk when this woman asked me if the dogs were keeping their paws warm and commented on how pretty they are. I answered back that they'd rather it be snowing than raining, and she asked me where they were from. I told her they were Japanese dogs called Kais, and I swear she squealed! She said that in Japan her father had a book about Japanese dogs and she always loved looking at the picture of the Kais and Shikoku.

I told her that a Shikoku lived about 300 yards from where we were standing and she squealed again. She was super cute, and Koda adored her. He was trying to walk in her house with her. :-P
  • In Tramps like us (kimi wa petto) i think there is a kishu. Its a medium sized, short haired, spitz white dog, and since its in japan, might as well a kishu, right? And there is a shiba with correct urajiro markings. But I guess it shouldnt be a surprise of japanese dogs in japanese books.

And on The Chive, if anyone if a chiver on here, usually every dog gallery had a shiba or the occasional white akita, sometimes long haired.
  • edited December 2012
    I was watching some flyball in Florida and noticed a black dog that they said was a Kai. I think he was a mix if he wa but he did very well!

I looked up the team and he is a very accomplished pup!

http://www.doggoneflyball.com/page23.html

• I thought of this thread today while I was out with the dogs. We met a B&T Shiba. Shibas are common enough, but I rarely see the black and tans.
  • Yeah, that black dog is not a kai. Looks like a border collie mix I had right out of high school.
  • Yeah I thought it looked more like a border collie mix I dunno.. I seen pictures of long haired kai ken, but they didn't look like that. Either way cool dog! Very athletic. :)
  • Yeah. He was found in the streets of Miami. I was too far away to get a good look. I wanted to talk to the handler but I couldn't meet up with them to get some photos.

Now on the site he holds several number one Kai titles. Does anyone second guess what the owner claims the dogs are before giving the title?
  • edited December 2012
    No. They don't. There is a supposed American Akita with a bunch of performance titles, the owner of which goes round bragging how she has the best Akita and she's the best trainer because she can get the dog to do all kinds of things Akitas normally aren't willing to do. It neither looks nor acts like an Akita; much closer to a GSD in both respects.
  • edited December 2012
    That dog doesn't look anything like a Kai Ken. That's pretty annoying, actually, because it does look like a border collie x and bc's are very different than Kai Ken....it would be hard for a real Kai Ken to "beat" a border collie cross that is holding the Kai Ken titles! But who knows....the behavior sounds like a Kai Ken, though the dog doesn't look even remotely like one).

Wierd (and also annoying) about the Akita too.
  • Last night myself and a friend were driving around the local neighborhoods admiring the Christmas light displays (we get some pretty cool ones) and it was 10:30 at night and all of the sudden at B&T Shiba crosses in front of the car. So I pull over get out and crouch down whistle and the Shiba just runs right over gives me a once over and paws for pets (or treats it was rather on the chunky side). We ended up finding her home several houses down and she seemed happy to go into the festivities. Most random encounter with a NK though.
  • Wow, glad she didn't get hit!
  • My most random encounter with an IRL NK was just after I got Ghidora. I was on my way home from my parents and there was this guy walking his 9-10 week old brindle Japanese Akita puppy across the intersection. I was floored.
  • The most random encounter we've had here was someone selling white Japanese Akita puppies at the flea-market...for $1600 a pop.

& yes, they were most definitely Japanese Akitas, not american Akitas, & I could tell you they were as close to pure as possible. Right up there at the top of worst experiences seeing someone else's NK :(

That was a few years back. ~
  • Selling pups at a flea market? Weird. :\

So glad that B&T shiba got home alright.

I've seen some red shiba inu while driving around saw one B&T shiba I got excited since I love B&T coloring of dogs she/he was a pretty one..

A lot of college kids in my area so bound to be a few shiba inu around there.

I seen one American Akita at the dog park and another being walked by owner downtown. both were pretty dogs and the one at the dog park was nice and young. I no longer go to it anymore so not sure if the akita still goes to it.
  • Glad the Shiba got home safe! It would scare the crap out of me to have a dog run in front of my car.

I see Shibas pretty frequently, including an incorrectly marked b/t that frequents a dog park sort of near where I go to school. I've seen Akitas (mostly American) around from time to time as well. The only other NK I've seen in person were Kai at UKC shows years ago.

Not NK, but it's still so bizarre to me how my Lapphund went from being an "A what?" dog to people when they ask me what she is to a "Oh, I've heard of those!" even outside of "doggy" circles and Finns. It's all because of AKC recognition and televised dog shows, I'm sure, but... still so strange to me. I'm still used to the days of "What is that dog?" "She's a Finnish Lapphund." "A Spanish poodle?" "No..."
  • edited January 2013
    When I was driving in Gainesville, Sasuske had his head out the window and we pulled at a stop light with another Shiba Inu looking back. It was great!

When I went to petco with Eevee, someone asked if she was a Shikoku. I said she was a Kai but I was happy that they were really close. Many people say she is a chow because her tongue :(

On my way home from work/school, there is an Asian college student who lives in an apartment complex on a fairly busy road whit a white NK. From far away, the dog looks like a Shiba Inu but looks a little bigger, which leads me to believe it may be a Kishu, but I thought pulling over and inspecting her dog would be awkward.
  • I just left my vet with Sachi and as I get in the car I shit you not an Akita inu walks into the vet after me a light red male. Never seen the jas in person really cool looking dog!
  • edited March 2013
    So, Sunday I was out and about with a friend on the way to the usual Sunday activities and I saw a person with a pinto American Akita along the side of the road. It looked like the Akita was wearing a harness with packs on it. The immediate conversation I had with my friend went like this:

Friend: "Look! A husky!"
    Me: "No, that's an American Akita."
    Friend: (said in a sheepish voice) "Exactly. I was just testing you."
    Me: "Uh-huh. That's why you said husky."

It was pretty hilarious, actually. :)

Also, I was watching an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and one of the villains (Chris Bradford) had...I want to say a Shiba, but who knows, maybe it was an Akita Inu, named Hachiko.

And for a third sighting. I got roped into playing a Nancy Drew PC game (Shadow at the Water's Edge, I think) that takes place in a ryokan in Kyoto, Japan. There are some math puzzles (sudoku, nonograms, etc) in a book and there is a picture of what I assume is a Shiba.

Do those even count as real sightings?
  • "Turtles! Quickly, transform and roll out! It's Rock Steady, Bebop and...the nefarious Chris Bradford!! "
  • This was strange.

I fostered out/delivered a dog today to a family who must have known @JessicaRabbit & family! We walked the blocks from my house to theirs with London and Lainie (the dog they're fostering to adopt) and they heard Takoda in the back yard (I didn't take TK for the walk, though).

They acted like seeing a Shikoku was something you do every day and that it made total sense that Takoda was a Shikoku. It was disarming! Normally there's this quality people have when they aren't totally sure in what they're talking about and I just kind of smile and nod, but they were SO confident about the Shikoku it wasn't something I was used to.

They said that their friend Jason had a Shikoku in the past and had a Shiba, an Akita and a Pitbull now. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that the Shiba and the Shikoku in the story must have been mixed up and they had to be talking about Jessica and Jason. Who else could have that combo of dogs? :p

Small world, Rhode Island. :)
  • Who were they?
  • @JessicaRabbit - A woman named Kristina who lives on the East Side near me. I forgot her husband's name (I'm horrible with names). They had two boys. They lost their dog not too long ago and are doing a foster-to-adopt. I think they said her name was Stella? Some kind of herd-y mix like Aussie or BC/Shepherd.
  • That's the drummer from Jays old band. They are wonderful folks!
  • My dad is a big doomsday or apocalypse watcher on various shows..

One of the episodes had a red shiba named kai. The show called Apocalypse 101.

The guy lived on a camp and pretty much lived almost off the grid going to town to do odd jobs and stuff.

The shiba was there mainly for alert to intruders in his camp. He was off leash and actually behaved really well. Must be a NK dream to live with owner outside.. hehe

I myself isn't into doomsday shows if it happens it happens.. I'll fish and stuff if need be plus Saya is pretty good with treeing squirrels and holding them up it for a bit.

I do like that about Saya she won't bark for heck of it. If there is reason she sounds alarm like skunk in the trail by the pond or raccoon off in distance, coyote, or opossum she alerts me by looking alert or letting an alert type of bark.
  • Sadly over the last month my little brother has seen two shibas around town. I am so jealous, but i met a wolfdog so he thinks its fair.
    Anyways, i got this book called unlikely friendships about these awesome bonds between animals. It is soooo adorableand i recommend everyone read it. But i flipped to the back to read the author bio and, lo and behold, in their picture there was a shiba!!!! I was shocked.