Kai Ken Growth Rate

Comments

• I am not sure. The only recent pics I saw of him did not give a good pic of his overall frame. He was always a very thick boned pup.
  • Orry's dealing with a bit of stomach issue, so I had to take him to the vet yesterday. Anyway, he weighed in at 28.3lbs. He's 5 months old. Considering his weight and age, I think he'll finish close to the 45lb mark.
  • @5 months, Toshi was 32.4lbs
  • @Hinata23 I think I will!

I'm sorry if my earlier post seemed like I was encouraging fast growth or was trying to make my pup grow more with special food. That was not my intention with that post. Just trying to give my input to what Saki has liked and what we have been giving her.
  • edited March 2013
    Matsu is 32.5 today. he's 5 months +1 week. I dont have to look carefully anymore to see that he's bigger than Juno, and I can't believe we used to confuse him with the cat at a glance...
  • Well, Ginko is coming in at 24.8 lbs at 5 months + 12 days. Definitely on the smaller side :)
  • edited March 2013
    Shelby has to be closing in on 30. She feels like a chunk of lead when I pick her up now and she just had another growth spurt. She goes to the vet on the 19th for her spay, so I'll have an exact weight then.
    Edit: I measured Shelby 2 days ago and she is 15 inches at the withers. Still not sure of her exact weight.
  • Okay, 5 months and 12 days- they ARE brothers... ;)
  • hahaha i honestly did not even look at the time of your post!
  • Tomo was 27 pounds when he was 5 months old. He is a brother to tjbart17's Mika.
  • edited April 2013
    Matsu is 33.8 lbs today - 5 months + 27 days . his growth is entering a slower period, as @brada1878 said it would. :) He feels pretty heavy when i pick him up- and if I think about it - I buy a 30lb bag of dog food, so he weighs more than the dog food.
  • I was just going thru Juno's papers and looks like she was still growing at 11 months (22lbs) but by 13 months she was at full weight (28 lbs) from which she hasn't budged since (she is now 2 yrs, 2 months old.) She was 7.2 lbs at 8 weeks when she came to me and 11 lbs at 10 weeks, 14 lbs at 13 weeks. Really different from Matsu, who was 8 lbs at 8 weeks, but 24 lbs at 16 weeks.
  • Leo is now 40.6 pounds. He was 1 year old in mid March. He was weighed yesterday while being neutered. :(

He grew taller at around 11 months. I don't expect him to grow anymore though.
  • edited July 2013
    Matsu is 35.2 lbs today- which is just as @Calia guessed when she lifted him on Saturday- a little less than shikoku Miyu (37lbs). Matsu will be 7 months old in 1 week and 1 day. :)
  • LoL, after picking up Miyu enough times, it's not hard to tell if another dog weighs more or less than her. I think Matsu may actually be slightly taller than her though as last I checked she was at 19.5"
  • So I had to weigh and measure Shelby after reading this again. She is about 18" at the withers and she weighs 29.6 pounds as of today. Her height growth has showed down a bit, but she has gotten longer and her weight is coming up pretty regular. She did get sick not long after we got her though, so it seems to be taking her longer to put on weight. She lost a few pounds when she was sick and didn't put it right back on.
  • Hanako is 6 month's old now and she weighs 11.5 kg ( 25.3 lb) and measures 42 cm ( 16.5") .
    She looks like small on my mind , do you think Hanako size is correct ?
  • since I have come this far, might as well keep logging his weights: Matsu is now 37.6lbs. He is 7.5 ish months old.
  • Kona has hit 20.8 at about 7.5 months as well... i think maybe she's got a couple more pounds, but looks like she'll be around this size, my little petite kaigirl :)
  • ...dont forget "speedy" :) She'd outpace her brother in a flash...
  • Hahaha..she is a little zoomster!! i just found this awesome agility center about 2 mins from our house, signed her up for 10 classes, i think she'll really enjoy it! Hopefully III can keep up with her :P
  • Oh, neat! I will look forward to Kona's Agility tales! and videos, if you get some.
  • I will definitely try and get some ^_^
  • @sylvieTRD Hanako is the right size. The bitches can run alittle smaller.
  • @WrylyBrindle I'm kinda wondering what the latest stats are of Matsu, the Kai Giant. Have you checked his height and weight lately?
  • He has been holding steady at 40 lbs for a while. He has started to look more leggy, he is 19.5- 20" at the shoulder this morning. Matsu (and littermates) will be 10 months old next week.

Here he is with the other Brindles: Sage is 65lbs, Matsu 40, Reilly 70, and Juno 28. Reilly is about the height of a greyhound.

photo 100_0285_zpsfcdd2c45.jpg

Ive been fussing over his coat since he's dumping undercoat like crazy in this weather, and feeling him I notice he's growing a nice mane- and his neck is very strong and hard muscle. His feet look less big, now, too. I think he'll end up between Leo and Goro.

photo handsomeMatsu_zps82244c4e.jpg
  • @WrylyBrindle LOL Yay for Matsu! He's already being called the "giant kai!" lol

That's a pretty manly mane he has there! Oh and I love the new signature banner!
  • Oh handsome handsome Matsu :) LOVE him!!
  • @WrylyBrindle Thanks for the update. You have such a great looking boy kai to go with your great looking gal kai! I love that family picture. All the kai look so proportional it strains my spatial reasoning to understand their true size without meeting them in person. Having the heights and weights is nice because at least I can hold up a measuring tape to my dogs and get a sense.

@Hinata23 So now I'm wondering how Goro measures up?
  • LOL omg...i just opened this post up with my browser instead of my phone. @WrylyBrindle, your new banner is AWESOME! :D