What do people say when they see your Kai Ken?

I have shown pictures of the Kai to friends and I would say about 75% are turned off by there brindle coat - I happen to love it, but some people just don't. So... I'd be interested to hear what type of reactions you get from having you Kai in public.

BTW: Sorry for all the questions, I am just stoked to have some Kai enthusiasts to chat with.  :c)

~Brad

Comments

• edited November -1

I get a lot of questions about Kohji when I take him out and about.  No one really ever guesses what type of breed he is because they look so different than any other breed out there(except for other medium sized Japanese dogs of course!)  A lot of people compliment his coat color, he is a really dark brindle, with very dark brown eyes and nose.  I'm surprised when you say people are turned off by their color in pictures.  You really have to see a Kai in person though, pictures don't do them justice, and they don't photograph well unless you have a brightly colored background.  Have you ever seen Marian Campbell's red Kais?  She is the breeder from Classy Kennel, they are unusual because they don't have any brindle, just solid red in color.      

• edited November -1

I think you are right, the pics don't do them justice, but I have not been able to see one in person yet.

Yes I have seen pictures of her red Kai - they are very pretty... I am on Marian's list for a puppy from the next litter. I am hoping for a dark brindle female. I have to get a female due to my male Akita.

Thanx for the info

• edited November -1

I can just tell by the pictures that they don't show enough detail.  It's hard on dark-coloured dogs.  I have a hard time photographing Loki because he's all black.  I'm also surprised people don't like the brindle!  That's what I love about their looks, it's so unique and beautiful.  I love the really brindley ones, where there's a lot of red in the coat and it's really distinct.  I prefer brindle to red because the brindle is what makes them unique from the other Japanese dogs.  I feel that the red ones just look like hokkaiodos or akitas (sort of).  Not that those aren't beautiful dogs, it's just nice to have some variety.  

Oh, and Brad.. I am totally excited, too.  

• edited November -1

I am with you guys, I really like the brindle as well. I was always shocked people didn't like it either... Maybe it reminds them of a pitbull or something [the color, not the dog - they look nothing like a pit]. Here in the south there is a lot of dog fighting so I think there is a heightened fear of pits.

• edited November -1

I also am a fan of the Brindle as well. Though, I haven't decided whether I am going to get a Kai Ken of my own or not. Perhaps that is in the distance future. I will be an avid supporter, just as I am with the Shiba Inu!

The Kai ken are really neat to see upclose and personal. While at the Nippo Show last year, there was also a great variety in their sizes. Some were Shiba-sized and some medium and some large. I guess there really isn't a standard for this breed quite yet...at least it wasn't consistent between the breeders. I'll see how it goes this year. IF there are any Kai's entered. My group was surprised to see the few that were there last year.

• edited November -1

It happened again the other weekend - I told a lady at a Shiba meet up that I was going to get a Kai Ken, she responded with:

"Oh, Kai Ken are beautiful - their coat is scary, it's beautiful though."

See what I mean? That is the type of reaction I get a lot... I can't wait to get my Kai and see how people react in person.

• edited November -1
    Did you ask for an extra brindley one?  That's what I'm going to do, because some just look black, but I prefer the heavily brindled ones.
  • edited November -1

No I didn't specify - the only thing I have specified was a female.