How to Make Dog Hair Your...

edited February 2013 in Products & DIY
So I've now had Sachi two months (though holy .... it feels like I have had her as far back as memory spans) and right before I got her she went into heat (usual cue to have dogs do a full fur eject in my experience), got spayed (reason #2), shipped cross country and then learn a whole new person lifestyle (bringing us to reason #3 of stress).

So, back on topic, she has been shedding since probably week 2 but not a full coat blow. Just some hairs here and there and feeling her coat now I am thinking it might be her guard hairs as she is pretty downy. That being said there is a light dusting of Sachi EVERYWHERE, and my vacuum just isn't up to the task.

What vacuum brands and models are you using that just makes dog hair it's B..... I'm in dire need, price doesn't matter. Help Please!

Sorry, free chance to spam.

Also has anyone else's dog gone through this shed?

Comments

• Lots of people love their Dysons. I have never had one, but I suppose if price is no object, then go for that. I have 4 dogs and two cats and my Bissel Lift-Off Pet edition does Grrrr-eat! and picking up fur, and cost less than half of a dyson. The mini-vac tool that goes on the hose is terrible and always freezes up, but the big main foot works awesome, the filters are easy to get and replace, the dirt cup is easy to see if its full and easy to unclip and dump out. The rugs *feel* so much nicer after I vac. I have had it for 5 years, and had to replace the drive belt once, but it was easy to do.

Cute Sachi spam, btw! :) She's so sleek!
  • Agree with the above- if you can afford it, go with the Dyson. My vacuum works great and I will get another just like it when this one dies..... Eureka Power Plus. It was inexpensive and it works great. We have 5 dogs at the moment (1 of them is a foster) so my vacuum gets a real workout everyday LOL It has several attachments so I can get the hair that sneaks down by the baseboards and the hose extends enough to get into the corners behind crates/desk/etc. With all of that said, one day I will have a Dyson :)
  • I got my husband a dyson for his birthday first year we were married... I felt bad giving him a vacuume as a bday present... But to this day he LOVES it! We wouldn't trade it for anything!
  • I was doing research between a dyson or a meile awhile ago. They're both top notch vacuums. It all depends on your preference: classic look or modern?
  • edited February 2013
    Look doesn't matter for your dyson @poeticdragon and @ kuma123 what model or does any work?
  • edited February 2013
    Dyson. I bought a refurb one on amazon year ago. It's fallen down the stairs I don't know how many times and so it's duct taped now, but it still works. Well. (I'm clumsy with stair vaccuming, apparently! That's why I do it so rarely!) I do think I need another one at some point--parts are starting to fall off because we've beaten it to death--but still keeps going. I'd be willing to try the Bissel though.

My other thing, which is no help on the vacuum, but....no carpets. We have carpets upstairs, and they're pretty much shot due to dogs, and a couple of unfortunate washer floods, and I am NOT replacing them with carpets. I much prefer sweeping to vacuuming (downstairs we have brick floors). And also, furniture that dog hair doesn't stick to. ie. after awhile with multiple double-coated breeds, a leather sofa is not a luxury but a sanity saver. (next time I buy a car, I'm getting leather seats, too. Granted, this next time may never come, but I'm sticking to it as an ideal!)

(I've heard that model doesn't matter so much, and most people with dysons don't think the "animal" model is any better than any other).
  • edited February 2013
    @cdenney, it is 'Eureka- The Boss- Power Plus'

I know it isn't fancy but it works great. We have AA's and any vacuum that will pick up that much hair day in and day out and still functions properly wins my vote hahaha It is lightweight and easy for me to carry up and down the stairs. But I still want a Dyson ;)
  • edited February 2013
    Love my Dyson. I had the Dyson animal when my ex and I were together. When we split my mom gave me her baseline basic Dyson. It is beat up and held together with duct tape, but still gets the job done
  • My bissel does great with Kaylee's fur so far...
  • Thanks guys ill see what's going at the nest price on ebay!
  • I use a Dyson and I won't ever buy a different brand. most vacuums seem to pick up about half of what a Dyson does.
  • Yep, Dyson here too - we didn't upgrade to their "petfur" model 7 years ago when we bought ours and if I remember right the only difference was the price and 1 extra attachment. Everything else was the same - anywho... it's still going strong 7 years later and is what we use and love too!
    Oh, also the way Kitora shed was her undercoat first, then that came back in, while it was coming back in, then ALL her guard hair fell out - it was really WEIRD (I've never had a dog shed like that) and then while the guard hairs were growing back in she looked like a puffed poodle cotton ball that was perfectly manicured! It was HIlarious!!!
  • I have a bissel pet model and it works really well. It has an attachment for the furniture that I use on a regular basis. I also have a kong brand "zoom groom" brush. It gets a ton of hair out and doesn't strip the coat because its made of rubber. When it comes time for my Shiba to blow her coat, I vacuum every day and brush her daily as well. I have always wanted a dyson, but they're so expensive!
  • I love my Dyson animal! It's the only one I know so I can't recommend any other vacuum.
  • @myabee09 better than a furminator brush?
  • I use the zoom groom during baths as well. It works really well.
  • We got the Dyson cordless animal over the holidays when they have their annual sale (20% off?), love it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008SH86VC
  • We got the Dyson DC25 and we love it :)
  • i love the zoom groom!!!

Some people will say that the furminator is damaging to the coat. I personally don't use it for this reason, though, since never having used it, I can't say if it really is damaging. Nevertheless, I stay away from it and use the zoom groom.... and i love love love it!
  • I do have a furminator, have used it numerous times, and I do believe it is damaging. Also, because it cuts the fur, it doesn't actually help shedding. It seems to prolong the shedding process. Pulling out the loose fur (with a zoom groom, comb, slicker, deshedding blade, etc) works much better than cutting fur that would otherwise not be ready to come out...

I only use the furminator on my American Akita, who has a short, soft coat already and doesn't need to be kept in show coat.
  • I have used a furminator on my show dogs with no damage to the coats. It really is about how you hold it and the amount of pressure you put on it.
  • @Cdenney, I have a furminator for work (groomer), and I don't recommend it to my customers. Sjp051993 has it right. It's all about technique and pressure. When i furminate any dog, I never go over the same spot twice and always follow up with a cat shedding comb and my zoom groom. The zoom groom is also a lot less expensive and works on all lengths of hair. I find that a lot of dogs don't like the furminator, but they love the zoom groom. I think it's like a massage for them. I do love the furminator conditioner, though. I lather it up with the shampoo and I get TONS of undercoat out.
  • wait till black friday if you can lol dyson had 30% off on their site.
  • I love my zoom groom, too! It works great and the dogs think they are just getting a massage :)
  • @timkim but there will be so.much.hair. by then. As it is my cream carpet is looking alittle grey.
  • Our groomer (for the last 9.5 years) Furminates my shiba when he goes in for a bath and brush out--in our experience nothing else helps w/ the shedding but a good bath every 3-6 weeks. The only coat damage I've ever experience was w/ Advantage flea med, it seemed to burn his guard hair.

She mentioned that Furminators don't work well on longer coat breeds so we only use a comb on our midget long coat JA pup to de-tangle and remove dead hair before matting.
  • @rikumom your description of your pup (meichan?? Not sure on her name) makes me crack up everytime.

• I have a dyson (not sure of the model). My only problem with it is that mine has too many filters on it. Between two dogs and a cat i have to take it completely apart and clean everything 'bout once a month or the air flow restriction light comes on. will definitely get a dyson again, just not the same model.
  • Dyson!!! It's a monster and lives up to its' repuation. It's quite a beast.
  • The thing I love most about the Dyson is how its emptied. With other vacuums, when you change the bag or dump it out, dust gets everywhere. My husband has some sensitivity to dust mites, and used to have flare ups and rashes every time we'd clean. It hasn't happened since we got the Dyson though! Just take the whole canister to the trash can, push the button, and all the dust goes in the trash -- no cloud of dust everywhere, no getting it on your skin changing the bag. Great!