Hokkaido picture

Comments

• I found this photo a while ago. I like brindle hokkaido very much :)
  • @Kitsusi That brindle dog is awesome! Thank you for sharing! I can't ever quite decide if I want a white or a brindle Hokkaido (though I really do love the white Hokkaido).
  • gorgeous but I am a brindle girl myself... go brindle!
  • Brindle is very beautiful. :)

B&T, Brindle, red, white is my preference for coloring.
  • Hokkaido's are totally badass.
    @JeffnKazuko - what colour are you guys getting or prefer? :)
    I LOVE the white...!
  • @kitsusi Oh wow. That brindle Hokka is stunning!!

@whobitme I also have a hard time deciding between white, brindle and even red!! For some reason, the urajiro is REALLY cute to me... which is why I love the red guys so much... but white is beautiful for its simplicity and brindle is just stunning because it's brindle. :)
  • Seta is the cutest Hokka puppy :)

Really awesome brindle Hokka too! Apparently Hokka come in all the colors of all the Japanese breeds. That's pretty cool.
  • @mapletwinke
    Our litter was born yesterday! There were 4 females and 1 male and we will go to pick out the best female in 3-weeks. They are all white pups. As for the coloring in Japan, white is most popular followed by red, then brindle, black. I think this is partly because people want a dog that doesn't just look like a bigger Shiba and also something to do with bloodlines. Having a dog that is part of the Chitose bloodline is kind of a big deal and the dogs are white. Our puppy will come from this line.
    PS: there is also wolf grey coloring but it is very rare. I was at the all Japan show and didn't see one.
  • edited January 2013
    @jeffnkazuko I said this is in a different thread, but I'll say it again (because it is so exciting): Congratulations! And that's pretty interesting about the Chitose bloodline. Is there any particular reason why the Chitose bloodline is so important?

@thegela Part of the problem is that Hokkas are awesome in every color. I really do like all the types.
  • Hokkaido has six colors:
    Red and white are the most common.
    Then is black and tan.
    Brindle and sesame
    And the latest is black. I don't know will be born black puppies anymore..
  • holy cow the sesame is pretty awesome too!
  • I am not too sure those last two dogs would fit the breed standard. Definitely not an all black dog. Whites are becoming more prevalent recently and from what I saw whites and reds were the dogs winning at the shows.
    They are all great dogs thought and really do have unique personalities.
  • The sesame is interesting.

All black dog is neat I'm fan of darker colors.

I really love the B&T Hokkaido the most the ones I seen in pictures I can really tell difference between them and my B&T shiba their face is a bit different or at least to me it is. Athletic and stuff.

Though I notice Saya has some muscle on her from all her walks and running around.

I hope the other colors of Hokkaido stays around I love the white don't get me wrong, but I prefer B&T, brindle, and red more.
  • @whobitme TOO TRUE! I would be the MOST annoying picker if every color option was available. :P
  • edited January 2013
    @jeffnkazuko , they've arrived! I'm so excited, have fun on your trip and take lots of puppy photos. :x

All this Hokkaido talk is making me want to get one too!
    White is my favourite and the agouti is my 2nd favourite.

@whobitme - is says here on Nihon Ken blog that the Chitose is the most famous and has the highest quality. I also read somewhere else that it is the oldest too.

http://nihonken.blogspot.ca/p/hokkaido.html
  • Wow that grey sesame's coloration is beautiful. I'm really taken by the B&T Hokkas though, especially yours @Kitsusi!
  • @Kitsusi Thanks for the pictures! Those are awesome. :) Although when I said "every color" about the Hokkaido I only meant the colors the Hokkaido actually come in. I didn't mean to imply that there were more colors. Sorry about that.

@MapleTwinkie Oh, yeah! Man, it's been a while since I read that and I obviously forgot about it. I remembered the word Chitose, but I forgot the rest of it. Thanks for re-pointing that out to me. Sometimes I wish my brain functioned properly more often, hahaha.

@jeffnkazuko Shigeru's blog lists these colors: Sesame (red fawn hairs with black tips), brindle, red, black, black and tan or white.

The UKC standard: Sesame (red fawn hairs with black tips), brindle, red, black, black and tan or white.

I'm not sure what colors are acceptable in FCI, though I figure it must be pretty similar.
  • I was showing my husband pictures from this thread and the parents of @jeffnkazuko's future puppy. I commented on how if we ever wanted one, it would be even more rare and difficult to get than a JA cause there's like... 5 here. His response? "We did Akitas until they got too mainstream."
  • Here is a picture of the winners at the 2012 All Japan Hokkaido show in Sapporo. Notice the color of the dogs.
    P1080250
  • And for you B&T fans check out this Shikoku I met in Tokyo.

RIMG0332

RIMG0331
  • Love B&T shikoku too I think of Miyu whenever I see one. :)
  • @krisz Do you know tall she is now and about how much she weighs? Just interested to see how big a 6-month female would be.
  • @jeff: Seta is bigger a little bit than my shiba male (he is 40 cm) so I think Seta around 42-43 cm.
    Weighs: she was 11 kg at 4 months of age, so she is around 15 kg now - maybe. She has very strong bones.
    I will make a measurement in this weekend :-)
  • Seta at her first show =D>

• @Krisz Seta looks amazing!
  • Seta looks so beautiful. :)

One thing I noticed she doesn't have eye stains that some white dogs have like poodles, white boxers and so on..

Which is great.

• @saya
    Most white hokkaido pups have the eye stains you talk about, but grow out if it.