Change in Habits--When Do I Need to Start Thinking Vet? 12/21 New Question!

So given the recent increase in cuddling with Sachi I have noticed she has a sensitive spot. Given I haven't really petted her until now I couldn't tell you if it has always been that way. When petting she is uncomfortable (but not twitchy or making any pained sounds) with me stroking or scratching her behind enough that she will nose my hand off and then lick it apologetically. Additionally (again not sure if correlated) for the past four/five days she has been in a bit of a funk about eating (not the chow hound she was when she first got here). She isn't feeding from my hand except treats and she gets to her bowl in her crate in her own time (within 15 minutes of me putting it down-I tried the if you don't eat it you lose it, it doesn't make a difference and she would be missing more than one meal by now). Again not sure if correlated but this has also thrown off her "movements". From normally one AM, one PM to maybe one afternoon, definitely one PM. Movements are otherwise normal.

Is the sensitivity related to her being constipated? Is she just sensitive there? Does she need an anal expression (never had a dog that did so not sure when they need it or if they do)? Or is this a symptom of a much larger underlying cause?

I would appreciate any feedback because, well, I want my girl to be healthy and happy and not in any discomfort.

Comments

• ChoCho sometimes won't eat until we take her on her morning walk. Maybe she needs to go.
  • About the sensitivity I have no idea... sorry.
  • Sachi gets fed after her walk normally and today had a fine appetite. I'm think I need to give her alittle wet food see if we can't get all systems go.
  • If she's not eating a regular am/pm meal then you are not going to get regular poops from her. In multi-dog households it's really not an option to just leave food out. I've seen Jen give the dogs their meals and it's like clockwork. They gobble their food right away. I would get her back into that habit. If she doesn't eat for a day or two she will not be harmed. A little bit of wet food to entice would help but it will put you in a habit of always doing it so be prepared.

Mika does the butt thing but from over stimulation not pain. She likes her butt scratched but can only take so much and will bump my hand off then kiss me. I just can't think that Sachi is in pain. I think she's a healthy dog.
  • PS Koda in a new environment will go without food for up to three days and he's fine.
  • Okay that's reassuring thanks @tjbart17.
  • My dogs have been known to miss a meal or 2. Some days they are just not hungry.
  • @cdenney
    How old is Sachi?
    If something is gastrointestinal related, you can usually feel it in their belly, whether it's hard or soft.
    If it's anal glad related, they'll scoot their butt on the floor... but not sure you'll otherwise have issues w/ petting.

My 11-yr-old shiba started to shy away from me petting and rubbing him (esp. around hindquarters and hip) when he turned 9. The vet said he might be feeling joint discomfort and doesn't want to be bothered there. He's fine w/ us petting around face and head, shoulders.
  • @rikumom she is a year and a handful of months. She has done a butt scoot twice on walks but it was also two walks with her being goofy (which is happening more and more but isn't common)
  • @cdenney,
    I see I see. My shiba didn't do the butt scoot ever, but somehow the groomer and vet figured out he needed his anal glands expressed and it was done a few times. As far as I know, anal gland issue is correlated with diet and having poop that is too soft to express the gland during the natural bowel movements... We increased the fiber in his diet (via pumpkin puree, he didn't care for green beans), then the problem went away on its own even after we stopped the pumpkin. You can run a Google search on this subject...

http://boogiebt.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/what-is-my-dogs-poo-telling-me/
  • I don't recall her being sensitive about her rear end being touched with us at all. Jen doesn't either (just asked her). I wonder if it's related to her spay?

It could simply be that she is just not comfortable enough to be touched there yet. I dunno.

However, a dog who stops eating, and shows some pain, is IMHO a sign a vet may need to be consulted with. Sachi was not one to pass on food when she lived with us.

----
  • Seems fine now, eats two meals a day and usually on schedule but occasionally gets backed up. I don't think shes in pain, isn't showing signs, and let's me touch her rear selectively but her scar/belly is okay to touch.
  • @cdenney It's difficult to get my dogs to eat, but I mix 1T pumpkin with wet food and add it to their food when they get a little constipated. Works wonders.

Glad she's feeling ok.
  • Well Sachi is off her food again but takes treats. Today she went nuts for the trainers treats which is actually just a cooked freshfood--but a product sold at petsmart? She noses it if there is salmon oil in her normal kibble (earthborn holistic) but is eating it now with this second product mixed in it. I called the vet they just think something upset her stomach but it is not a intestinal obstruction because she still poops...I don't know what to do. Change her food? Go in for another visit?
  • I'd also try the pumpkin in her food, it really does work well for dogs tummies. You can get the cans that say 100% pumpkin. That and a consistent feeding time, which I think you said you do already, should help even her system out assuming nothing is wrong inside.
    Mirra most certainly has her sensitive spots that you have to be extremely gentle around, but they are her soft spots like armpits etc.... top of the rump isn't typically an issue - Is it possible she was frightened at some point and bumped her rear hard? My old heeler dog was so happy to see someone one time that he wagged his tail so hard into the edge of their oven that he woke up screaming in the night from moving it.... it's an lol memory now, but we/he didn't think so for about 10 days or so... any possibility of something like that?
    Might be worth consulting with a vet... maybe now that she is starting to settle down into your routine and home her system is just now catching up and trying to regulate as well. Never hurts to ask. :o) Hope you get it figured out for her!