Yamabushi no Orry (Sept 2015)

edited September 2015 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
As I mentioned in my intro, we recently had the privilege of bringing home a Nio x Ayu pup. We named him Orry, which has a few meanings, but the one we were drawn to is "Bear." This especially stuck after seeing a few pics that Brad and Jen posted on Facebook...the pups definitely looked like little cubs. After having Orry for over a week now, his name seems very fitting. He has an even-keeled way about him but he's a very brave little guy when he needs to be. The other night he had no problem standing his ground and confidently meeting a Great Dane that approached out of the dark from my neighbor's yard, which I was very impressed by.

Anyway, so far Orry has been an exceptional pup. House training, friendliness with both people and dogs, walks, etc. have all gone very well. We are extremely stoked to have him! The hardest thing so far has definitely been the hard puppy biting that my two young daughters are not so fond of. We've tried lots of re-direction, yelps, and ignoring him, but I think time will be the main thing that helps this....he's still so young and he does seem to learn well. If anyone has a magic formula to solve this, I'd love to get some advice. It's especially difficult when he gets ultra hyper for short periods of time and is hard to calm down. Like I said though, he's overall pretty calm for a pup and we couldn't be more thrilled with him. He's doing great.

Here are some pics of Orry. Some are a little dark and out of focus, but I think these show his look pretty well. It was so hard to get a straight on shot, so my daughter had to help on the first one.

IMAG0273

P1040548

P1040519

First day of harness training during a typical Montana winter day. He loves the snow!

IMAG0296

P1040559

P1040516

IMAG0295

P1040552

P1040560

For some reason, he looks a little "Nio-ish" to me in this pic, although it's a bit blurry.

P1040556

When he sleeps, he's out!

IMAG0264

Thanks to Brad and Jen and their Yamabushi Kennel for such a great pup!

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Cute pup!

I must say I am a little uneasy by the photos of a Kai off leash in the street, after having so many bolt and get lost recently...
  • Such a adorable pup! :)

Love the brindle on him too.

• Orry is awesome!

What I tell my daughter is to give him a Yes- as in no, you cant bite my hands/toes, etc, you should bite THIS- and stick a toy/chewy etc right in front of him. If the yelping isnt working, dont do it anymore. Sometimes it just makes everything more exciting and hyper. (or in the case of my husband, an unconvicning actor, the dog just doent buy it- "really? you say that hurt you? You didnt *sound* serious..." munch) I am fortunate to have 3 other dogs for Matsu to practice bite inhibition on, BUT...I still spend QUIET time letting him softly mouth my hand and giving him information. (this is not for kids! For the dog's clarity- "no mouthing kids" needs to be blacking and white. this is just a Matsu and me quiet-time activity. not a crazy-time activity.) If he is mouthing softly, I speak to him softly and rub his gums even. If he presses hard, I tell him - AH! and he'll usually stop and look at me and I let him mouth my hand gently some more. After a few minutes, I offer him a rope toy, or a puppy chew bone and transfer him over and he'll relax and chew that. (for the duration of his puppy attention span, anyway!)

Another simple game, for kids, is to teach "kisses". An easy way to to this is to rub a little butter on the kids palms and fingers and have them holding their fingers together, palm open. Call him over to lick the butter on their hands and say Kisses, good boy! Good Kisses! He will WANT to lick, not bite. When he seems about done licking, direct him into some other play (ie. dont just watch him stop licking and see what he wants to do next- in that moment where the pup thinks "what do I do? I dont know, I guess I'll do ....THIS!" you suggest any non-biting game, so he does Kisses! and then Ball or a walk or something. He needs to see that Kisses is it's own thing, a good thing, and isnt part of Chomping, which is something else and isnt allowed.

He will need to chew stuff badly for several months as he teethes, so think of it that you are teaching "what do i do when my mouth feels this way?" and establishing a default choice for him. Protocol!

When we got Juno, she liked to play rough pouncing and 'attack' biting, jumping at my face if i was sitting. Ending play can be very effective- standing up Game Over, but when she took advantage of opportunities, so I did finally have to take a cue from my older dog's book and roar at her NO! like I REALLY meant it (and its how i felt getting bit on the nose in that moment) and she understood and toned things down. Take it out on your plushy toys, pup, because no matter how much I love you and how cute you are, that is a game we will not play! Puppies need reminders, once you teach them something, (make sure they know it first! not fair to 'remind' them of something they dont understand) so expect to continue to redirect him onto toys, anticipate if he seems like 'this is when he gets bitey', and try to appreciate that he stopped biting more quickly this time after, or wow, he is using thebone more ("Youget what you pet" and "catch him being good" are important phrases at our house. If I see the pup chewing his bone, especially when noone told him to- he just chose it- I go over and give him enough loving to let him know I think hes a *really* good & smart boy, but not so much attention that he leaves the bone completely and refocuses on me. Its a fine line, which is why it's a science AND an art! I want him to know that relaxing with a good bone is AOK!
  • edited November 2012
    CUTIE!!

Yeah... we got bitten a lot during Goro's first few weeks... It was painful and we still have a few marks!

We did a few things one of them was putting a treat (we used kibble) in our hand and closing our hand in a fist around it. If he bit at my hand I would correct him with "A-AH" and say "Kiss". He would bite 10 times and give 1 lick and when he did I would praise him with a very happy "good boy" and give him the kibble in my hand. After a couple of days of this (painful) exercise he was able to give licks on command. It did not eliminate biting completely, but he figured out that biting gets him a "A-AH" and licking get him a reward. Another thing that we realized what not to try to play with him when he was super excited from playing with ChoCho... he just wanted to transfer that energy to his month and my legs. I know you shouldn't run away because they will just think you're playing, but I ran up on chairs and the couch a lot! hahahaha He was a monster...

Overall puppy biting is a pain (literally). It will pass, but it's important to establish rules when they are young.
  • @Hinata23 Haha, that made me laugh about running from Goro as a pup and jumping up on the couch. My girls keep doing that and although I tell them not to for the reason you mentioned, I can't say that I haven't been tempted to do the same. I definitely think he'll get it, but you're right, rules are pretty important when it comes to biting! We've definitely noticed that this behavior is very much elevated after play with another dog, so I know what you're saying about not playing with Goro after his play with ChoCho....we'll most likely implement this rule too. Thanks!

@WrylyBrindle Thanks for all of the suggestions! These are very helpful. I've already noticed after a week of redirection that the duration of his bitey period has shortened. It's pretty much down to his hyper spurts, usually in the am, and after he's played with another dog. The yelps worked at first, but like your husband, he especially stopped buying it with me. I think he started to think it was a game...not good! He's probably a little young for "Leave It" but surprisingly he seems to respond to it when he's locked on to our pant legs, but only when he thinks I have a treat in my hand. I'm afraid he's sort of a smart little pup (or maybe Kai are just smarter than the dogs I'm used to), which is good and bad, lol.

@poeticdragon Yeah, I hear what you're saying about the off leash thing. However, although that looks like a street, it's more like our driveway. We live at the end of a cul-de-sac and don't really have any traffic. I read about the missing Kai and their tendency to bolt before getting our pup, so I'm aware of this issue. In fact, this is why I plan to do as much off leash training at a young age as is possible. Orry will be my hiking companion, and I hope he'll adjust to being able to do this both on and off leash. I don't want to him to grow up having only spent outside time on a leash. My fear is that there will inevitable be a time when he's outside without a leash, and I don't want him to "freak out" because he's never experienced it before. Instead, I'm hoping that by training him young he'll maintain his composure in these situations. I'm realistic though, and if he shows a tendency to be a "bolter" we'll adjust. In talking with Brad, it sounds like both Nio and Ayu are pretty good off leash so I'm hoping this was passed down. Trust me, the last thing I want to do is lose this pup...I've already grown quite attached.
  • My female kai Juno is an off leash hiking dog, it can be done! Talk with me anytime about it... as you are doing, practice early in life, stack the odds in your favor ridiculously with training and always giving great attention to auto-check ins- when he comes to you on his own idea, you will go a long way to reaching his potential. We have lately been training Juno with coming to me to be leashed, (as at trailheads or summits) so that THAT isnt the end of the world to her either. "Come!" vs "Leash!"- she does the same thing, but "come" is frequently "come here and see me" then I release her back to play/hike.
  • @MontanaKai Totally agree with what @WrylyBrindle said! I used that technic for when Goro found a shoe/sock/remote/book to play with. I would calmly grab one of his chews/toys (you don't want them to think you're going to start the chase game. Don't make a big deal out of it) and trade him. It's a good way to practice "drop it".
  • Welcome :)!
  • @WrylyBrindle Awesome. Great attention to auto-check ins is a really good tip. I've so far only been rewarding when he comes after being called. I definitely may hit you up for some more ideas as he grows and we venture out. I've ordered a Tagg GPS so that should help for a worst case scenario. I'm not sure if all puppies do this, but so far, Orry follows me very well outside. People have even commented that they're shocked by watching this...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this behavior will continue to some extent. I know it will change some when his prey drive kicks in.
  • Oh Orry is so cute!!! What a Nio face!! When Kilbun gets excited, he likes to jump and tear my hair from its scalp. Definitely a big no no. I just stood up, left and ignored him. He does it (less often) now. As for off-leash training, my other dog is horrible at off-leash (I don't even attempt with Kaiju because we live in the suburbs with roaming rabbits), but my hub wanted Kilbun to be an off-leash dog. So, when we go on walk, I carry his favorite toy (a squeaky ball) and everytime he runs too far off, I squeak the toy, and he comes running back and then treat. Sometimes, we play hide and go seek. Where we would hide, squeak the toy, then let him find us, then treat. @wrylybrindle, you said to treat when Juno comes back and checks in, so do you just let her be until she comes back by herself? Or do you leave her on a long line?
  • Oh holy crap he is frickin' adorable!! I can't get over it. What a looker! Oh my....

@MontanaKai I have a 3 1/2 year old male Kai who has been off leash since he was four months old. He would never bolt, and I don't worry about him. My parents have a 4 year old female Kai mix who is great off leash. She's a hunter and will go off a bit, but always finds her way back.

I have a 7 month old female who feels like she never has to listen to me. She stays on leash. I know that everyone says that we should keep our Kais on leash, but I'm not sure where they got that reputation in the US, from one breed line or breeder? The fact is they are hunting dogs, and are meant to be off leash working with humans. I think that it's definitely do-able. Even though my little monster is horrible, I'm sure she will be able to hike with me off leash someday. I just haven't worked with her enough.
  • Tag GPS is great just in case. :)

I gotten these ID tag for Saya and Bella I like them as they're attached to the collar can be put on harness too.
    http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=collars

This is how the ID looks I just drew over my phone and address.. hehe
    Photobucket

I figure they'd hold up better if the dogs go into the woods then the dangling type tags as it might get stuck on a tree or bramble..

Saya my shiba does well off leash, but I've been working on it pretty early it was long line at first when I did chores and couldn't watch her she enjoyed dragging it around and exploring. I eventually worked up to some off leash time once her response was better on recall.

Be sure to work some on recall daily make it fun. I love hide in seek game Bella loves doing it.

I seen this dvd recommended for working on recall not sure if it's good I really nee get it to see..
    http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb810p

Teaching command leave it, drop it is good in case the dog is going to eat some animal poop or gotten something. Coarse sometimes it's too late.. :\

Saya dropped a thing of deer poop she was off leash walking in the trails she was behind a bit sniffing and I saw her pick up something so I said drop it. Luckily she did and she coarse got a dog treat for doing it.

I use fish fudge, string cheese, dehydrated meat, ziwipeak dog food for recall treats. I try rotate so it's a mix of it or something different each time..

Each dog is different on what they consider high value in rewards.

I have a squirrel pelt and also a flirt pole and Saya gets to play with that as a reward too.

Saya is food motivated so treats works much better for her recall reward.

I live in the country so I have decent bit of space to practice it. Shiba aren't really good off leash due to their independent nature and ability to have shiba selective hearing.

I'm glad both parent's do well off leash maybe that will help.

I'm fine with working off leash, but be sure an collar and id tag is on in case something happens.

I sometimes take collar off for pictures and then once done I put it back on.
  • Orry looks very happy. That first pic (and last pic) is super cute.

I'm so used to the puppy biting thing I don't really notice it, but I know how hard it can be to manage around kids. Everyone already gave good input, so I don't have much to add. I will say that the way I deal with it with our dogs is to just leave if they mouth me. So they learn that if they put their mouth on "dad" he leaves. This seems to work pretty well as the mouthing is typically an attention seeking behavior and if the bite make the attention go away, the pup learns that it's not working.

About him having a little puppy zoomie freak-out. When he gets that way and is being too nuts, pick him up and put him in his crate with a chew or something. He'll probably pass out - like with a child - it's probably a sign he needs a nap.

Keep the pics coming! :o)

PS: RE: the great dane... Orry was probably like "psst... you don't scare me, I used to beat up on a CO when I was younger!" ;o)

----
  • I should add Nate ( @MontanaKai ), you met our dogs. They're not exactly polite... So maybe you shouldn't take my advice. LOL
  • @brada1878 haha, yeah the great dane didn't seem to phase him at all. The funny thing is, the only time Orry has really perked up and barked was when I showed Samantha the video that I took on my phone of Luytiy wanting to eat me. Orry got up right away from a sleep and was very interested in what he was hearing...he knew that sound from somewhere! I'm very glad he got to be around a big dog like a CO. He seems so calm and confident when big dogs greet him, which I really like.

Considering how many dogs you have, I'd say they were really well behaved in our meeting. The only one I can honestly remember really trying to get my attention was Kishin. It was in a playful way though so I didn't mind at all. He's a super cool dog.

I'll definitely get some more pictures up as Orry grows. Next time I'm going to get some help from our friend who is a photography. She has a very nice camera...these were taken with my phone.

@Saya Those tags are great. We have a little shop in our town called Hattie Rex that just opened, and they make custom tags just like that. We bought one for Orry, but it's a little big for him right now. Thanks for the dvd link!

Thanks all for the helpful training suggestions!
  • I started Juno on a long line at a few months old. She wore a harness and the line at first was a cotton clothesline- veyr long and very light. She could explore, and naturally wanted to follow me and Reilly, and to stick with the group. The line ensured success and no loss. Later she graduated to a bright orange line by Permatack- this line is heavier than the clothesline, but visible and doesnt pick up burrs or soak up water, so its ideal for forest training.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1755945340571&set=a.1664606777164.80079.1297085320&type=3&theater

I recall her, and train her to "come," "wait," and 'follow' commands: "This Way!" and "Let's Go!" I meniton the auto check in because it is so easy to take it for granted, or to say "yeah but Simon Didnt Say"- when in actual fact anytime the dog does something you want to see again, reinforcing it is the most powerful way to ensure you WILL see it again! So, when we are in the woods to this DAY, and Juno breaks off her hunting action to come say hi to me, she gets pats and talk 100% of the time and a variable small food reward as well. (Reilly will play me for the snacks, but Juno isnt a pest about it.) Remember that a variable reinforcer maintains the surprise factor and is the most powerful tool in R+ training.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3501993950695&set=a.1664606777164.80079.1297085320&type=3&theater

When I felt Juno had earned my trust time and again I graduated her to her blaze orange collar and bell, and retired the long line. With the bell I can hear her, which is important to my serenity :) as we go along. I am comfortable with her out of sight briefly, but not out of earshot. And I dont like to take her off leash near roads, trailheads, junctions or houses. She has been a terrific little hiking dog (and a superb scrambler!)- We hike off leash for an hour each morning in the National Forest, and longer on weekends, so she has lots of practice!
  • Gorgeous pup!
  • So cute!! Orry looks great!

@WrylyBrindle - I kept meaning to ask you the name of your leash again - Kunai is due for one :o) We plan on ordering one for him as he is a lil like Mika in the "huh, did you say something to me?" when we are out walking/hiking... lol
  • @WrylyBrindle I checked out the Permatack leads and I can see why you like them. Do you know approximately what length Juno's bright orange one is? You may have said this somewhere already but I think I missed it.

Juno looks like such a great dog. It sounds like you've put in a lot of time with her....that's awesome. I love the idea of using a variable food reward by the way. I've been using the same treats with Orry for the past week and I never thought to change it up yet. I could tell he was much more receptive when I first starting using them. It makes sense...the surprise factor! Thanks for the tip.

I believe that's a picture of Matsu on your signature line. He looks awesome! Can't wait to see more of Orry's brother.
  • So lucky you two have pup from same litter.

I wish Saya's siblings were on the shiba forum would been nice to see how they grown up looks and personality.. I only met one of Saya's brother he was vocal pup. hehe

I love Nihon ken pups hope to see more pictures. :)

Saya was mouthy as a pup, but now she doesn't mouth and if she does it's soft, but not often it's only when she greets my mom she gets over excited and happy to see her.
  • I think I bought the 25 foot line but cut it into a 15 and a 10-

re: variable rewards- sometimes its diff treats, but its also diff amts of treats. So 100% of the time they get my attention, happy talk and pats, 95% of the time they get a small treat- like 1 little zukes mini. But once a walk or so, randomly, they get a repeat delivery of one, another and another zukes mini, before I say "Okay, Let's go!" and release them. In this way, they also stick around and give you eye contact and dont just watch the hand get the treat and blast off again, because there *might* be an extra treat coming. When they hear "Okay, Let's go" the treats are done, and YAY! I can go back to sniffing & hiking!

Another tip is to build-in a collar touch - so you call them, they come and maybe sit if you require it, but as the treat is coming (and later before the treat comes) while you are giving a quick pat, touch and gently handle the collar. When hes eating the treat, let it go. This gets them used to you taking their collar and prevents the "I'll come *this* close to see if you have treats/grab the treat and bolt away." If you practice this in your recalls, it sets you up really well for when you have to call him and leash him, he wont spook that you have his collar or reach near his head. We may have to do this quickly in an emergency someday and nothing is worse than the dog flciking away or panicking.

In addition, whenever you call him and its a really great performance, like you call him away from a distraction or a danger- JACKPOT REWARDS! :D
  • Nice post.

At puppy class trainer sent home work for owners one was getting the puppy used to having collar grabed.

I worked with Saya and Bella with it and it's worked well.

My neighbor's lab/mastiff mix is very dodgey she won't let me pet her.

She dodges almost like she thinks I'm going to hit her.

Her owners can't really control her or get leash on her easily when she is off leash.

It's sad.

It makes me happy I worked with the dogs and they come to me or doesn't flee from me if I come over to pet them or put leash on them.

I hope things work out with him.

Puppies grows up too fast I miss how small and silly Saya was.
  • Saya still has the sillies! she's a super dog and very cute!
  • edited December 2012
    These are extremely helpful tips. I'll definitely be working the touch on the collar as I noticed Orry already likes to play "catch me" when he sees I have the leash and I start reaching for his collar to get it on. I would certainly prefer this to be a seamless transition, especially if we're in a stressful situation.

The good news is that I found a really good 5 week puppy course for Orry to take. Bozeman is a pretty pet oriented community and it sounds like the trainer knows her stuff...she apparently has some popular books out (one specifically about hiking w/dogs!!) so we're excited to get going. I've grown up with dogs my whole life but it's been quite some time since I've raised a pup. The course should be nice refresher.

The other good news is that Orry's biting was less today than yesterday and yesterday was less than the day before...we're liking this trend. Maybe it's because he loves his toys so much, like this one, lol:

• orry--ur so cute!! what a lovebug
  • So I had to post some updated photos of Orry. A couple of things about these pics. We've had a couple of white-out blizzards in Montana in the past few days (finally) and all of these shots were taken during one of them. The lighting is incredibly bright, so much so that you can't even see the border of the photos. This is simply how they came out since Orry is completely surrounded by fresh, very white snow. With that said, I thought they turned out kind of cool in a unique way.

243 2

246 2
    Love the intense stare.

253 2
    It's rare to find Orry outside without a good amount of snow on his noes like in the above photo...I think he actually enjoys it.

He really did his best to pose for the "above the fireplace" pic, lol.

249 2
    Showing his deep love of the Montana winter!
  • Love the pictures. I think the whiteness really made them nice almost intentional.. hehe

Orry is growing up nicely.
  • Cute!!! Love the snow pics!
  • I *LOVE* the last one!

Orry looks great!
  • I love these pics! I love orry!