Rakka ate a whole tub of margarine...

Yeah. And she puked most of it on my bed and the rest of it all around the rest of the upstairs. This was overnight. I let her out in the morning and she just curled up in the snow and slept. She refused to come in for a long time, but then I got her to come in. She's just been sleeping in her crate ever since then.

It looks like she vomited up all the margarine, or at least most of it. She seems to feel really crappy, though. At what point should she go to the vet, I wonder. Maybe I should call them.

Comments

• Might want to find out what the symptoms of pancreatitis are. All that oil/fat...
  • Poor girl, I bet she couldn't believe it's not butter. ;0
  • Is Raka eating normally now?
  • Oh man, I hope she threw most of it up and feels better soon. Pancreatitis is nasty, the more it happens the more easy it is to come down with :\ How did she get into a tub of butter?! lol
  • edited November 2012
    Joking aside, you'll be fighting dehydration and shock. The way to deal with dehydration is to drink which in turns can inflame the situation again. IV would be a better route so if you do not see a major change in the morning head to the vet.
  • oh man! I hope Rakka feels better!
  • Her tail is re-curling, which is a good sign. She isn't eating or drinking much, but it's hard to tell if it's anything to worry about because she often just picks at her food and doesn't eat much. Plus, she's just been sleeping all day, so I don't think her fluid needs are very high. She's been pooping and peeing normal. She doesn't seem dehydrated, as in her mouth seems wet and her eyes aren't sunken, but I know that she can still be dehydrated without those symptoms. She stopped vomiting a long time ago, now she's just still acting a bit weird. She's just hiding off in her crate and not doing anything. She had hiccups for a bit, but I'm sure that's unrelated.

I'm surprised she did this... when we saw the tub knocked off the counter and licked clean, we figured Sosuke, but Rakka's the one who puked up at least a tub's worth of greasy, yellow slime. I figured since she did vomit it, she'd most likely be fine.

I'll have to get Noah to take her in tomorrow (I'll be at work) unless she's completely back to normal. I should have taken her in earlier. I didn't know about pancreatitis... that's nasty. I see a symptom is depression, which would explain why she's just not doing anything. She only seemed to be in pain while she was vomiting, now she just seems sad.
  • Looks like there's no actual treatment, though, just IV fluids to prevent dehydration. That's a little worrying.
  • edited November 2012
    Poor pup! I would caution that she is not out of the woods yet but it's good she evacuated a lot of it already. I hope she recovers quickly.

Sometimes it can take several days for any acute signs after initial ingestion, but with some dogs it can be completely spontaneous or chronic. Acute pancreatitis is a big concern with dogs who counter surf and is one of the big reasosns most Vets will try to frighten owners away from giving even the smallest table scrap. It can be really awful to treat. Signs I have seen are guarded abdomen (owners sometimes mistake this for back pain and it turns out to be pancreatitis), and almost always vomiting with slimey yellow diarrhea. The dogs appears listless and ill, with a very mopey depressed expression and a funky odor from the bile. You're right, there isn't much for treatment except IV fluids, no food, and sometimes steroid injections, antiemetics and antibiotics, and eventually a bland diet of rice and broth. In worst cases, dogs can experience acute necrotizing pancreatitis, which is very serious.

• I hope she is ok! Keep us posted!
  • Is Raka ok? Lindsay said basically what my vet said blood levels for toxins go up for three days.
  • Man, this was a puking fest week!
  • How is she this afternoon @Hondru?

@Hinata23 Ren had a day of vomiting bile twice the same day Goro had an upset stomach. It's as if they were all girls working in the same office lol :P
  • @cezieg LOL Poor Ren. Hope she didn't have a bad day like Goro.
  • edited November 2012
    Well, Rakka was acting normal this morning and eating and drinking. I called the vet and she said to just watch her. She seems fine now, so it looks like the only remaining damage is to my mattress, because OF COURSE the mattress protector was in the wash on the day Rakka decided to puke on my bed. I'm not having much luck with this grease stain...

Noah said he offered her some margarine just to see her reaction and she was like, "Uhh... NO."
  • Good hope she learned her lesson! Crazy things these dogs do to us.

I'm glad she is doing better.
  • So glad she is feeling better!

Have you tried using resolve on your mattress? The kind made for clothes. I used it on mine when Jerzzee threw up on my bed. Oxyclean works good, too.
  • Man that's really good to hear, glad she's turning down the margarine too! What a little trooper, feel better Rakka
  • Good news! Glad she is feeling better and "just saying NO!" lol
    My heeler dog long ago ate (seriously) a 1/2 of a new bag of dog food when my roommate left the pantry door open! I thought for sure I was going to loose him to impaction or something! He made it through fine... a normally "decently fit" dog and he looked like an overstuffed pillow!! That was a scary few days - the funny part of it though is that the day after he was begging for his normal breakfast and dinner - the lil food monger!!! He was incapable of saying, " no"!!
  • glad she is better!!
  • edited November 2012
    @CarabooA lol, sounds like Taki xD - she's never full. She once at 2 pizza's worth of pizza crusts at a friends' apartment because the boxes were left in a Taki-reachable location D:. She was fine and hungry for dinner the next evening (I made her skip breakfast but I wouldn't put it past her to want to eat again -_-).

@Hondru good to know Rakka is ok :). When Taki ate some funky stuff she had a fluid pouch inserted under the skin on her back - looked like a little camel xD.