The SoCal Kishu crew's boar hunting adventures.

edited October 2012 in Hunting & Working
Recently I been slammed with work and kids and havent really had much time to give my Kishus the needed hunting attention they crave so today I decided to take the misguided boar dogs out for a little hunt. To make a short story even shorter, we didnt get a single thing today. I took Taro, KoYuki, and Nami outto a spot where we usually get tangled up with a hog but looking at the conditions, every thing is dry and now I'm going to have to do some serious searching for a solid water source. Today was actually Nami's first "real" hunting trip. As some know, Nami is a Yushoku Kishu ken that had a little rough start with eating problems and not being able to keep the weight on. She lives with my brother and he did a super great job with her socialization and getting her through some of her earlier health issues.

Nami is now healthy as a horse and is a stunning kishu. She is a sweet girl who is absolutely a great hunting dog and is easy to handle off leash. She hasnt had much off leash time so I was a bit wary but I strapped her with a radio collar for tracking and let her off with the rest of the pack. At first she was all about playing with Taro and Yuki but soon she figured out the Taro and Yuki was much more into hunting then playing. nami put two and two together and started hunting with the pack.

It was a beautiful morning in the SoCal mountains and even though we didnt get anything, the dogs got to stretch their legs and I got a little exercise.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Comments

• Neat pictures! Too bad there weren't any hogs. Hopefully there'll be some next time.
  • Cool pictures!
  • Great pictures! Sorry about no hogs, but still good experience for Nami and dogs got to stretch their legs. :)
  • I really like Taro! :) I like his tipped ear, his big grin and that he's a good family boy and still brings home the bacon! He's my fav kishu. even when hes all dirty! give him a scratch behind the ear from me!

That said- time in the woods with dogs is almost always time excellently spent- boars or no. nice weather, good scouting and still a good day for all of you!
  • I sure will Chrystal! Taro is an amazing dog, he will go out and put his game face on and get down whatever hog he finds but once he's home he makes sure to give everyone hugs and big kisses. He is especially fond of my 1 year old boy, they have this really cool connection. My son will go up to the window and its as if Taro already knows he's at the window and comes up to greet him like clock work. He's never rough with the kids and understands that they are much smaller. This the true nature of a hunting kishu.
  • I love updates! Sorry to hear that you didn't get anything, but it sounds like it was some good first time experience for Nami. The pack looks amazing--Taro always looks so goofy with his ears, but I like them--it makes him unique. I really like Nami's head--she looks very dignified. Would you say she's a quick learner or were her powers of observation normal as far as your experience? I'm just curious about how easy it is to get a new dog (Kishu) into hunting.

They all look very happy and healthy! Love it!
  • She's a quick learner for sure. The one thing she did that I just laughed my ass off was when taro and yuki went through a regular barbed wire fence, nami just would not go through. She just sat there going back and forth barking at tri and yuki but she would just not go through at all.

She also got her first experience with lion tracks and lion droppings. I thought for sure they would have treed one since the tracks were probably just a few minutes old. But nami was really into the scent of the lion and followed it until she got bored.
  • edited October 2012
    Oh, cool... Nami, the lion hunter! :o)

ETA - I read that somewhere in SoCal there is such an issue with Mnt. Lion that the cats are actually organizing themselves into a pride - which is a behavior that's never been documented before in Puma concolor before.

----
  • edited October 2012
    I could see that happening. There are so many lions here that they constantly show up in urban areas. In a area that I hunt I know of 3 different cas that hunt the area. They sure have taken the deer herd down to half of what it used to be. This all started with the bann on mt lion hunting and we will soon see similar impacts from bear and bobcats.
  • Nami is so pretty with her chinky eyes! I love taros pic so cute!