Home Made Bully Sticks

I recently just bought a box full of raw bully sticks, not knowing it hasn't been dried yet. I was wondering if anyone has ever done it before and how they did it. I've done some research online and see there's a couple of methods. Baking, sun drying, and dehydrator. If you tried any or all the methods, what did you prefer?

Comments

• Yikes! I didn't know you could buy raw bully sticks! I'm a little scared to ask what they look like!
  • I have never gotten raw ones before... But I know I probably would not try to dry them in the house.
  • There was a photo on the forum once of a box of raw bully sticks- its pretty gross. I would not attempt this myself, but I am still curious how this goes, so let us know!
  • Smoke them!

My friend gave me a whole calf to dress out for dog food. The bully wasn't that gross and I just fed it to Grym whole and raw. Meh.
  • i'm interested in your adventures in making bully sticks.... but you're brave. Not for me! :D
  • I've got nothing to add, other than to wish you luck on your box of gross, wet schlong.
  • The UFP makes an appearance at yet another thread!
  • Muahaha!
  • I think i would return them and replace them with already dried ones. Just a thought...
  • Lol Thanks for the comments. Well it doesn't bother me much. Vet tech world, this isn't bad.(^-^;) I would rather mess with this then holding a broken leg to be splinted any day. Anyways I'll let you guys know how it goes.

@lindsayt how long would you say to smoke them for? I found a video of a group just smoking them, they smoke them for 70hrs.... It can be done but I'm just see if there was a shorter time or not. I was thinking giving it to my shiba raw, but it's a lot and my pups aren't big enough to handle it yet. I also think it will be a nice learning experience too.
  • I smoke jerky about 6 hours, ribs are about 8 depending on the thickness. I can't imagine 70 hrs!
  • Maybe it depends on the method?
  • Do you have a smoker? I think as long as they get sufficiently dried, then don't worry about how long it takes. In this heat, you could probably do the old fashioned thing and set them out on your roof in the hot sun or over a smokey fire like a rack of salmon.
  • On the bright side, you could probably make some interesting shapes with them. Spirals, braids, rings...
  • UFP art? Yes, please do.
  • edited August 2012
    Call this new art form: Cock a doodles :)
  • Good thread here!

I seen some people get bully sticks raw and they just fed them raw..

I don't know many beef farmer in person just a chicken, turkey and pork farmer..

I plan get dehydrator so I can make my own dehydrated liver, heart, meat or sweet potato treats eventually.

Smoking or dehydrating would be good..

I'd probably cut in pieces and dehydrate it doubt my dad would want me to use his smoker.. lol
  • Lindsay.....*lol*

• You can take them to a place where they smoke and process game meat.
  • LMAO... the UFP has been overdue for an appearance...
  • Ok this is now an official raw thread with @Saya 's appearance! ;)

As a guy, this all sounds horrifying LOL
  • Hahaha^^
  • Haha so funny.. My dad gave Bella one once I wonder if he knows what it is..

At least it keeps the dogs busy.