Hearing Assistance

edited June 2011 in Hunting & Working
I looked into this a while back when I was looking into Iceland sheepdogs, and now I'm wondering if kai (or shiba) wouldn't be good at it. I should contact some people. I already wrote a letter to a breeder who I heard was selecting shiba inu for service dogs, so I'm anxious to hear back from them. Anyone else know anything about it?

Here's a link.

Comments

• I initially had to giggle at the thought of a shiba being a service dog. Dont' we all proclaim that they are aloof, full of themselves, and not very fond of handling?

Having said that - I know that my two shiba inu (having lived with me for almost 4yrs now) are incredibly attentive to us (I guess as far as the breed goes). I am working with Tsuki now to become a therapy dog since she's starting to settle nicely into adulthood.

But the differences between pet dog, therapy dog and service dog are great. I would love to be humbled by being shown a working service Shiba Inu dog! I just don't know that I've met one that would be able to fit that bill. They start them so young, from scratch, and the dedicated training starts around a year and a half, I think. I did lots of research into being a puppy raiser some time ago and the check list of things to encounter were intimidating even on a socializing scale. I'm not sure shibas could be that socially adept.

I've never met a Kai.
  • Yeah, I have a hard time seeing a shiba filling that role. I can see a kai doing it, maybe. I mean, I know they could but whether they're ideal for it.
  • edited June 2011
    @ hondru

"Something of interest I may have forgotten to tell you.. The Lemaitres, owner of the sire, are very focused on working and service dogs. It was their goal when they visited me to obtain dogs for their breeding program to select dogs more of... this mentality. They temperament tested young adults I had available as well as some young pups. The young adult they selected was a black and tan bitch that had all the bells and whistles they were looking for in a working temperment. When it came time to test the various puppies, they selected a male puppy that happened to be black and tan and just happened to be a repeat breeding of the bitch they had selected. It was facinating, to say the least, that the genetics (for this type of working temperament) were consistent with the repeat breeding. There are all sorts of things that Shibas can be trained for; service dogs, cadaver dogs and drug dogs..they are a great size for airport work. It is exciting to have a dog that wins in the show ring, no doubt. But, my Shibas serving man in a working dog capacity is just as exciting." -a Shiba breeder
  • To add to this, I had a nice conversation with a good friend yesterday, who is very active in the breed. The popularity of the breed is increasing, but the number of individual registrations for Shiba has dropped. We all know that pet ownership of Shiba Inu is on the rise, but they are coming from disreputable places (the Shiba Forum is a prime example), mills, large scale for profit online producers, and backyard breeders who at best may offer some registration, but more and more, it is less likely to be AKC.

The point is not that AKC registration means a dog is better, but that it's a sign of the times that most pet owners are not wanting to take the time to do any research to buy from a responsible breeder or nurture the working potential of the breed. There are breeders who select for wonderful versatile temperaments, working drive and stable nerves in their dogs, and I know from first hand experience, these dogs can go on to do great things outside of the conformation ring. Is the average pet owner interested in that? Not really. The available homes who are interested in this aspect of the breed are scarce.

This is why I am thrilled to read about breed fanciers who want this in their Shibas. The breed needs more people like many of those on this forum.
  • My 3 year old Shiba is trained to wake me to doorbell, alarm and knocking on door. She is very smart and learns very fast. While she has never flown I take her to the airport for training reenforcement once a week because of all the noise, kids and distractions. She loves to go and all she wants to do is please me. This is a video of Mieko waking me as my wife rings doorbell.

• Mieko in public is perfect. I think the Shiba's size, aloofness and loyalty to it's owner really make a trained Shiba ideal for busy public places. Mieko pays no attention to other dogs or people and at the airport in her down position lets people with roller bags walk inches from her nose without a flinch. My dog amazes me every day.
  • Aww! So cute! Nice that she helps out so much. I do agree Saya is very well behaved in public and in crowded places she doesn't bother other people unless they ask if I can pet her.