Vomiting, help!

Toki can't keep food down, but seems otherwise okay :/

We had our housewarming party Saturday night, so about 3 nights ago. Saturday night around 4 or 5am was the first time, and it was mainly just bile with some food particles. Well, the next morning I found the rest of his dinner thrown up in the backyard. (during the party, we kept Toki in the bedroom and bathroom, careful to pick everything up, and check on him every once and a while. when everyone he "hated" left, we let him and another friend's dog play in the backyard for a while). I attributed the vomit to possibly stress since we had like, 30 people over, but he is still vomiting three days later, so I don't know now.

And ever since then, he has thrown up everyday. Infact, as I write this at 6am, he just threw up his chicken I cooked for him last night. I had fasted him sunday to reset his tummy, but monday morning he threw up yellow bile. and now again at this very early morning hour.

Oh, and his poop looks good. Nothing wrong there. He might seem a little more laid back, but it is hard to tell because Toki is a very relaxed dog. He was flipping out for chicken yesterday, so he still has an appetite. But come to think of it, he hasn't been playing with his toys much.....

(and yup, I am going to try to take him to the vet as soon as I am able, but I wanted some opinions beforehand. I'm worried. I have ran out of home remedy options.)

Comments

• Skwizgaar, the other puppy who came over to the party as well, has been acting strange too since that saturday night. According to his owner, he can't hold his pee through the night and is constantly trying to be near his owner. Not exactly similar issues, but maybe worth noting? Though, the dog is a 5 month old terrier puppy, so I don't know how much to contribute his issues to puppydom.
  • Careful, he may be bloating or have some other obstruction. Best to take him to the vet.
  • I'll look into it. I'm trying to remember what happened to his bully stick he was chewing on. That is the only thing I can think of that he would chew on. My vet opens in 20 minutes. Time can't go faster!
  • I don't think it is bloat, I've seen the video with the Akita with bloat and he doesn't act or look like that.
  • Hope Toki is ok.
  • I hope he's ok, and yeah good to get him to the vet. I'll be thinking good thoughts for him, and let us know what they say.

You know, often you never figure it out. I don't know what started Bel's vomiting a couple of weeks ago, but she got dehydrated fast, because she couldn't even keep water down. She now has been diagnosed with chronic kidney failure. Was she vomiting because of the kidney problem or was there another reason and her kidneys started to fail because of dehydration? I don't know (but I would feel awful it was the latter, because it was a weekend and I thought she would be ok if I kept giving her ice cubes and got her to the vet at a 8am monday, so I certainly hope it wasn't me not taking her to the e=vet that made it worse, but honestly, we don't know).

Anyway, keep us posted.
  • It is probably either pancreatitis or obstruction.

The vet pointed out on the x-rays that his stomach is a little irregular and there is some cloudy stuff in his abdomen. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that he has an obstruction, but if it is, it is
    A) probably something like a shirt, sock, ect... which, could be "good" new because it could pass through. (of course, if it doesn't pass....surgery)
    B) partially obstructing, which, is "good" news.

I have a hard time believing obstruction only because he still has intact toys (and plays with them) from when he was 8 wks old and now he is 10.5 months, and I have never seen him try to eat an inedible object. He has always shredded. But who knows. I'm not ruling it out.

He had a hot dog that night. The hot dog fell and the dogs ate them. I wasn't there, or else this would not have happened. But that is no excuse, I should have been watching Toki better.
    Apparently pancreatitis happens because he ate something fatty. But does it happen overnight suddenly like that? I know so little about pancreatitis that I don't really even know what to ask or what to expect.

He has medicines and I/D wet dog food. Diarrhea is expected, but if he vomits, then they will do a barium test. Hopefully he doesn't vomit. That would be ideal.

ANY suggestions for either pancreatitis or obstruction would be great.

thanks!!!

• I would not think 1 hotdog would trigger pancreatitis in a dog of his size. Not that is could not happen. I have seen dogs with obstructions that were never destructive a day in their life. Something happens one day and they eat something they never should have.
  • edited July 2012
    My dogs regularly get hot dogs as part of treats, training, getting them to take medicine, etc. Although they are lean turkey dogs...
  • ^^^ that is what I was thinking about the hot dog ^^^
    I have given him cheese as treats for a period of time, but plenty of dogs get cheese. but then, maybe the cheese is the culprit, every dog is different.
  • Yeah, I can't imagine a hot dog would do it.

Did they run tests on his liver/kidneys? That's what was going on with Bel--kidney issues. And my other Shiba had liver issues once that cause vomiting.

I'll continue to think good thoughts for him.
  • Fatty stuff doesn't cause pancreatitis, but if there is an underlying condition affecting it, then a fatty thing can sure trigger it. My dogs have yet to "get" pancreatitis from eating fatty stuff, and they get a lot of that. (raw chicken skin/fat, meat drippings, bacon grease, etc...)
    Until you figure out if it is pancreatitis or not, I would avoid fatty stuff and new food items just in case, keep everything real simple.

I'd definitely do the blood tests to rule out organ problems. I'd get as wide a screen as possible to make sure it wasn't something other than the liver or kidney.
  • i don't have any suggestions, but my dogs eat hot dogs (beef, kosher) as a treat. I hope he feel better soon!
  • All I know is now Toki is in a superb mood and is really really hungry. He was barking at me for food last night, poor little guy, haha! (I was not supposed to feed him dinner).

Bloodwork comes in today. I'll keep posted.
  • Not pancreatitis! :)
  • good news! But what is it I wonder?
  • Could it have been just a stomach bug?
  • That's good to hear! But I hope it's not anything worse and was just a stomach bug :/
  • edited July 2012
    Pacreatitis last last about a week and a half, my shiba got it and it cost $100 for the first visit and I was so worried that the vet was wrong I took him to another vet and they did x-rays spend $300 more then got more pancreatitis food went home and a week of eating almost nothing. I felt better when I realized dogs can go along time with out eating, and that part of the remedy for pancreatitis is to not eat much. All I feed him was a full cooked 5oz pork chop and an egg a day. Vet said I was giving him to much rich foods. A symptom of pancreatitis is depression. Among the obvious ones.
  • Well, we are basically going to watch him and see how he does. He has been in a really good mood and is very hungry. I still wonder about blockage since the x-rays looked questionable, but at this point, he is doing good so there might not be much else to do.

Who knows, maybe he got some sort of bug, which is what I originally thought, or he was so stressed he vomited. But then I took him to the vet and they said "pancreatitis" and "blockage" and that all sounds scary. Sometimes I wonder if all he had was a bug....

But anyway, Toki is good at the moment!!! :)
    I'll keep posted if there is any changes or revelations.
  • Sounds good! Like I said before, I hope it was just a bug. These sorts of things really put me on edge, even if it's not my dog. There's just something about this forum that makes me feel incredibly stressed when I read about someone's dog going through something, and there is nothing I can do about it.
  • @losech aww, thanks! that really means a lot, even though i've never met you (or almost anyone else on here for that matter). I really feel like I am a part of a very intelligent and caring community, i love it! :)