Tsune is a natural joring dog

edited July 2012 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
I just updated Tsune's journal over on the Shiba side after a lot of procrastinating (I have to switch partitions from Windows to Mac in order to do my photo editing). Tons of SPAM for anyone who's interested.
http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/9739/tsunes-thread-dog-park-spam-426/p1

I do browse this forum more than the Shiba side though. I find the NK side to be more "rugged" in dog related activities, so I figured I'd crosspost for those without Shibas.
My little brother recently got a longboard skateboard and figured he'd see if Tsune would pull him. He took to it as if he's been doing it his whole life haha. He was obviously a Husky in a prior life.

Comments

• that's very cool! Your brother looks like he's been riding thru neighborhoods with a shiba in harness his whole life too. Very nonchalant, man! :)
  • i'm a little jealous, how awesome!!! :D
  • You know, a skateboard might be a safer alternative to inline skates because you can step off it. Maybe I'll get a skateboard.
  • Looks like fun! I've tried a bit of this (on a bike and rollerblades) with Juneau, but she gets WAY to into it for it to be safe for me. I'd like to try a skateboard since I can easily bail, but I don't have one yet.
  • did you get a scooter, Heidi?
  • edited July 2012
    Yes, I've had a scooter for a long time, but Rakka hates it. I haven't taken Sosuke out with it yet, that's the next thing to try! I was thinking a skateboard would be lighter than the scooter, so we could go further. But then again, if you scoot along with the dog, you can make it as easy as you want.
  • Ha! How neat. It's definitely much safer on a skateboard I feel. My dog is such a lunatic- he can't even run straight next to me. He thinks we are constantly playing and cuts right in front. Yours seem to have a natural knack!
  • Haha thanks for the replies guys :) I gave it a go but I haven't used a skateboard in years since breaking both my wrists. Definitely going to invest in some rollerskates to do the same thing though! Easier to bail on a skateboard but I just like the control of the skates more.
    @Hondru If you give it a go with Sosuke you should definitely get some video!
    @lockshi3 Yeah he normally zig zags the entire time on walks, on runs it's 10mins of zig zags until he empties himself out and goes into run mode.
    @Losech does she just go full on speed the entire time? lmao.
    @jellyfart Try it with Toki once he's at a good growing spot where it won't affect him! He's a big guy, I'm sure he'll barely notice :)
  • That's awesome!!! I love it :) ~
  • Yeah, sorta. She's got no speed limit and no brakes, and since she's so amped up while she's running, there's no stopping her if she spots an animal. So, generally, it's a really bad idea to do this sort of stuff with Juneau even though she loves it. I'm working on getting her to be less excited when she sees critters on walks and hikes, but though she's almost 7, she still acts like a completely untrained puppy when she spots prey. Very difficult to work with.
  • That's pretty cool! I used to ski-jore with the Akita I had years ago. She'd run super fast for about 10 minutes, but then she was done. But she was good at pulling a sled with my water jugs and groceries on it from the car down the trail to our cabin. (This is when I lived in Alaska, obviously).
  • I tried roller skate spent $200 on a pair for both me and my wife, first time out I bit it, and decided I didn't wanna miss work over a back or knee or what ever injury and boxed up those babys, then went to the chiropractor. Lol I have good luck with the bicycle, both my dogs took to the bikes very well, one just has to remember not to push the dog to far, cuz it can hurt their paws, and over exercise them pretty easy. Ares like to do a jogging speed, he don't pull cuz he took well to heal training. We walk them on the right so they are not in oncoming traffic on the bike trail, and also they can run in the grass that way. Also a good key is to not give them enough leash to get in front or behind your tires. Then u can use ur foot to guide them in slow turns to keep them away from your bike. They really like to run with the pack.
    So then anyways I spent $250 on mountain bikes. I am happy with the bikes. They work great for my wife an I.
  • While walking Sosuke yesterday (Rakka stayed home because she's limping) someone came along with a boxer pulling her on rollerblades. So, everything was okay until the boxer cut in front of the owner to come see Sosuke! Nothing terrible happened, but it was funny to hear the increasing anxiety in the owner's voice. It was like, "Leave it... Leave it... Leave it... Leave it! Leave it! LEAVE IT! LEAVE IT LEAVE IT LEAVE IT!!!! OMG I'M SO SORRY!"