Importing into the UK

2»

Comments

• @Venus Thanks a lot for your informative response. I definitely will take you up on that offer soon :) Both your JAI and Akita sound great.
    I want to just be sure about the dog I get and don't want to make the wrong decision that's all.

@Hinata23 Thanks for the advice :) Whichever breed I go for I'll make sure to devote enough time to train them, and give them the love they need. Thanks for your help, you've been extremely helpful with all my questions! Once I have my pup I'll be asking hundreds more! haha, just warning you all. :)

I will await the response from the breeders in re to the Shikoku and will keep you all posted on my hunt for the hunter.

Thanks guys.

Joey
  • It is generally stated that all of the Japanese and Nordic spitz are terrible off leash, and should never be off leash in an unfenced area. Sometimes even with lots of training, you are not going to get 100% recall out of them. But even so, it all depends on the individual dog and your expectations. Many members on here are able to walk their NK off leash, and my boys have been good in fenced areas, so it is possible.

Huskies can be destructive when bored, sometimes they never grow out of it, so a crate is essential. For the longest time, both my bf and I were working 9-5 jobs and all my pups did well with being crated during that time so long as they were given exercise before and after. Now that my bf and I have different work schedule, they are only left alone for about 4hrs. But with a walk in the morning, a jog in the evening and a dog minder in between, should be good with tiring out the pups. What could also entertain them is leaving a stuffed kong with them, it will keep them mentally occupied while crated.

Something you might also want to check in is canicross, which is an activity where the dog pulls you while attached to your hip. It's great exercise and really helps tire the pups out since they are expending more energy in the same distance as normal walking.
  • @Caila Thank you for assuring me about that. It makes me feel better knowing you raised your Husky whilst working 9-5.

So my daily walk in the morning, a walk with the dogminder and some evening activity will be good for the husky. With my 10x12 foot odd room, would u still keep a crate in that room? Or would you just use the room as it’s spot? It’s a very safe room, no sharp parts, nothing to really break or rip open lol. I intend on putting some toys and things in there to keep him/her entertained whilst I’m gone.

Also, when you say they can be destructive is that when nobody is around? As in when they are by themselves? So for example what if the family are just sitting watching some TV. Would a husky be content enough to sit with us for company and just relax for a while, or would I still need to keep him crated when not supervised (once he is out of the puppy phase I mean).

Sorry for the noobish questions  I really do appreciate the help.

Thank you for those tips too! Will definitely rememeber that.

Thanks again.

Joey
  • I would still use a crate, even when giving them their own room. With some dogs even the walls, floors, and doors can become chew toys (not just with huskies). Plus, giving them that much space will make it harder to housebreak them, as they have enough room to find a place to potty without having to step in it. In a crate, a dog will not potty to avoid sitting in it (unless they absolutely can't hold it in anymore).

As far as relaxing in the house with the family, it all depends on the individual dog but I believe many will learn to relax over time (especially after a good walk). Mind you, some of that puppy mentality could last until they are 3-4yrs old, so be sure to check on them should they decide to wander into another room. When my boys were young, I would contain them in the same room as me so as to supervise them and teach them that hanging out with us is preferable. One thing you may also want to practice is crating while guests are around, so that they get used to it should there be a need for it (such as a visitor who doesn't like dogs, or a repair man).

Needless to say, you should try meeting some dogs to get an idea of how they are. Visit dog parks and dog shows, the later being a good way to find some breeder contacts. When you meet and interact with them, you may find that a dog breed you weren't considering would actually be a perfect fit for you.
  • edited July 2012
    @joeyxoto I have three Japanese Akitas and one American Akita. I've personally known and interacted with at least 10x this number of both breeds. A lot of times people ask me about the differences in temperament between the two breeds or between the two genders. What I tell them is this - the differences between the personalities of two individuals are far greater than that between the breeds or genders. Stereotypes exist because they're based on truth, but each dog is a unique individual and doesn't necessarily fit the stereotype in every single way. Some folks will tell you the Japanese Akita is less aggressive than the American; others the reverse. For each person who says male Akitas are more difficult than females there is someone else who says exactly the opposite. What this tells me is that the Akita breeds and genders are on average about the same in terms of temperament, and that any deviations can be chalked up to individuality.

(PS. I personally think females are more difficult, but only when discussing unaltered dogs. Bitches are... well... bitchy!)