Dogo on Boar (mildy graphic)

edited March 2012 in Hunting & Working
This morning hunt resulted in a fat young 50 kg boar being taken in the native bush of the south island in NZ.
Bruno. 65 kg Dogo Argentino
Bruno
Bruno keeps hold of the pigs head while it is stuck
Hunt- NZ
Bruno rests after the kill
50 kg Wild boar
Bruno gets rewarded with his favorite food. A whole adult possum for breakfast
Breakfast

Comments

• Awesome!
    what is being eaten in the last photo?
  • Sweet! Looks like Bruno is putting a hurting on those hogs. Possum hunting was one of favorite when I was over there.
  • Nice!
    That looks like a good breakfast for a hog dog!
  • Wow! Does bruno "catch" the hogs too? It looks like there are scratch and bite marks on it. Did you or Bruno induce the stomach wound?
  • Just to answer your questions. @ ttddinch- No Bruno only puts his teeth into the boars head to hold it until I get there to heart stick with a bayonett. I remove the gut of the pig before carrying it out whole and that is why the gut cavity is open- This keeps the meat fresh. @ Jellyfart There is only one target species that Bruno is aloud to hunt and that is Wild pig. The bottom photo just shows Bruno having his breakfast which in this case is a whole possum which I have already trapped and killed.
  • Hey Clay what kind of tracking system do you use?
  • Nice catch, and nice dogo!

I think Parka would love being a catch dog. Blue too probably.
  • Cool pics.
  • I would love to see Parka or Blue catch hogs!
  • Hey Shishiinu- I use garmin tracking gear.
  • Thanks Clay.............that took away my appetite for the BBQ. -)
  • I love Dogos! I have looked into them for a few years now ... unfortunately, they are too big for my place right now.
    Bruno is very handsome =] !
    This is one of my many favorite pictures of Dogos!
    Photobucket
  • This is also one of my favorite photos too!
  • Very cool! Until a few days ago, I had no idea what a hog dog was. Our new pup was being housed with ten of these hog dogs. These dogs are amazing! My son had to give a shot to a pig that was over 200 pounds this evening and it took three teenagers to keep it still. It takes a lot of strength to keep a hog down and for your dog to do it alone is simply WOW!
  • WOW this is sooo cool. I am so interested in hunting with dogs, but to be honest I'd probably never try it. I don't think I could ever shoot or put a spear into something, lol. But it fascinates me so much. I love reading @TheWalrus 's blog for this same reason. If my hubby wanted a nihon ken and go hunting with him, i'd encourage him.
  • My Kai hunts squirrels if that counts :)
  • @amti - I knew of a dogo hunter that also had a pet shiba. By chance is the dogo hunter Cazadores?
  • Holy Cow! Look at the muscles on that dog (Last picture, dog on the right)!! He's like the Dwayne Johnson of the dog world! Gosh...
  • aykayk
    edited January 2013
    That's Morocho De La Cocha.

La Cocha kennel in Argentina is run by the family of the breed founder. Dogs are true to their original function.
  • omg, is that the dog that fought the puma to save the kids?
  • Those are some pretty nice looking dogo in that pic!
  • Hey there Nihon community- Its 2012 was a good year for my Dogo Argentino Bruno. He sustained very little injury in all his hunting. The last boar he caught with this other dog pictured (a Dogo X Greyhound...the black and white dog) was an 80 kg wild New Zealand boar caught in the rain forest in the top of the south island.
    Photobucket
    Bruno & 80 kg wild boar -NZ
    Photobucket
  • We honeymooned in New Zealand, I miss South Island!!
  • Nice hog Clay! Man I miss NZ, I hope I can go again soon. Congrats on the nice hog!
  • Wow nice kills!
  • wow awesome kill!
  • Here's the dog's 101 video on "Morocho" (the Dogo mentioned above)

I have the opportunity to get a puppy from a Morocho son... Tho I dunno if I will do it.
  • edited May 2013