Ca SB1221- bill to ban the use of hunting dogs to hunt bear and bobcat. (oppose)

2»

Comments

• Reading about where people think meat comes from makes me want to start bashing my head into a wall. I can understand not knowing exactly how the animals are farmed---it's not exactly like people really put that out there for people to farm---but not knowing it's dead animal is kind of lacking a basic understanding of the human language and what it means for something to be meat.
  • lolol, so I've had this thing playing in my head all day and it goes something like this:
    So, you just walk up to the cow and ask it to open it's hide and give you it's rump for a roast you'd like to cook, right?
    Sure! Try it... the meat the black cow grows tastes best!
    Excuse me mister cow... I'd like a 3lb roast for tonight, please?
    Mooooooo
    Cow opens up and hooves out the meat it grew just for them......
    Hmmmm... I think it plays much funnier in my head... lol
  • "poorly treated the livestock are and how many bad things are in commercial meats."

That's why I go to farmer market and get Saya's organs and sometimes meat from local places.. I went to a local farm who raises pig's, chicken, turkey, and now duck. The smell isn't bad I didn't smell anything.

If you drive by usual closed in pig farm you'll notice how disgusting the smell is.

You see pig tails sold at grocery and the tail is cropped, not curly they do that because the pig's are in such close quarters.

I seen some gruesome videos of fox pens where there is 6 dogs tearing up a coyote while it's still alive barely able to defend itself.

Things like that ruin people's perception on hunting with dogs to me what I've learned on dogs hunting, but it's not much is most dogs are used to retrieve, bay, and catch, flush rabbits, pheasant, and chase deer for the hunter. I could be wrong, but my perception is the hunter should make the kill and or final blow not the dog. If your hunting for pelt or food a torn up animal won't make a good pelt or food item..

Sad so many bad hunters ruin it for good ones like you guys. :\

I gotten some yummy free deer from local hunter they thought it was freezer burnt so gave to me. looked fine when I thawed it out. Ah well.
  • @CarabooA - LoL. "Order our specialty cows today, equipped with meat growing compartment. Pay a little extra and the cow will come with an upgraded compartment that preseasons and tenderizes the meat, no more worrying about preparing the meat, just toss in the oven and the food comes out tasting great every time."

I'm glad that my mom raised me with at least some sense of how the world works, it also helped living next to a lake that we would fish in every summer (though we never ate the fish because of the pollutants in the water). Some of my relatives and people I know can't even handle cutting up an uncooked whole chicken, and here I am practically ripping it apart with my bare hands and a knife. Grew up prepping whole squid for frying up, drooling the whole time because I loves my fried calamari.

But seriously, the more restrictions made the more doors are opened for other restrictions and eventual elimination. Ban the use of dogs now can lead to banning hunting altogether, and if there are no hunters then who are we going to rely on to get us meat and furs should there be an apocalypse.
  • @Calia - I WANT THAT COW!!!! lolol
  • I thought this would be the perfect place to put this. Oh, and this scares the crap out of me.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/11/us-science-meat-f-idUSTRE7AA30020111111

It's literally something I had been dreading since I read the book "Feed" by M.T. Anderson. If I recall, there is something like a filet mingon farm there where blood is pumped into the meat. It's a very interesting book, and I'd recommend it. It made me not want to used electronics for a while, and kinda scares you about the advancement of the world and what not.
  • Yucky.. Food inc. and the doc Fresh was good enough for me to know the meat industry is disgusting..

I get all Saya's organs grass fed and free ranged some meat too. I figure since organs has the vitamins and minerals it's important to have good kind and fresh.. hehe coarse not everyone has sources for it with local farms and stuff..
  • Sorry I been lagging on the forum, with Riki's passing I been anti social. So SB1221 has moved up to the assembly floor to the parks, water, and wildlife committee.

I urge those of you who truly believe that hunting with dogs is part of sound conservation and good wildlife mangent to call assembly member Mike Gatto at 916-319-2043 to have him oppose SB1221.

The anti hunting and anti animal group have stepped up and have gained quite a bit of momentum. They have based their agenda on emotions and lies and 1221 will hurt california's bear population tremendously. It amazes me that a groups emotional propaganda is louder then sound scientific research even with a overwhelming opposition to SB1221.

As I have said before this is just the start and as most know HSUS will affect everyone including non hunting dog owners.

Please call assembly man Gatto and ask him to vote against SB1221.
  • will do!!
  • @ttddinh: thanks! I sent you a PM.
  • @shishiinu-- I didn't get your pm
  • That's weird...
  • Anyhow, I called and left a msg
  • Well after a short lived success to keep the bill from passing, SB1221 finally passed today. What a sad day for sound wildlife management, it's amazing how law makers can bypass the hard work put in by state biologists and basically give them the middle finger to say they know what's best for California's wildlife. I'm sure that hunting wild boar with dogs will shortly follow and every other hunting in the state.
  • This is really shitty.
  • That really sucks.
  • how did Gatto vote?
  • Unfortunately he voted in favor. I don't understand how they get to do re-votes.
  • I didn't follow this one as closely as the state-wide MSN, but they vote, find out who voted which way, pressure those who voted against it with threats of killing their own bills or withdrawing funding of their upcoming campaigns if they're of the same party, and then the Speaker or what-not brings it back to the table for a re-vote.
  • There's two more steps left for this bill to become law so next step is the senate appropriations comittee. Time for more phone calls...
  • I have called but is the voicemail. Is there anything specific we should say?
  • I just leave a message urging the legislators to consider looking at te truth behind the work done by the dept. of Fish and Game. I'm at the point of begging them to look at the facts over personal feelings shown by the HSUS.