Dog in heat

Well, I am not sure which category to place this topic in so please admin you could feel free to change it if it's in the wrong place.

I have a female WSLaika and she is 8 months old and she is in her first heat. She started bleeding on June 14th, though I suspect she started lightly bleeding on the 12th. Anyhow, they have been kept apart (crated; one out in the backyard at a time, etc.) but Kaiju is going crazy now. I have never seen him act so crazy in my life. Even to the point where he running towards the door, scratching, biting it to get to her. I have a one week trip that I have to go to next week and I am really scared. I don't want Kaiju to hurt himself. Also, Bea and Kilbe have been fighting like crazy too so they have to be separated as well. My father in law will be home to watch the dogs. Anyhow, with those that have multiple dogs, how do you keep them "comfortable" at this time? Also, when should I expect this craziness to be over...I really want my fun loving non-whiny dog back! :)

Also, I can't board him because the one close to my house does not accept non-neutered dogs and others are either too far, too expensive or looks kind of questionable.

Comments

• aykayk
    edited June 2012
    When does your trip start? July 1? She might be out of estrus by then and then you could board her or Bea.

Some vet offices also do boardings, though this means increased disease exposure and limited exercising.

• edited June 2012
    Well, I was gonna suggest boarding him until I read the last part... That sucks!

Can you send him to live with a friend for a few weeks? Or take him to work with you? The best way to reduce the stress is to remove him from her.

Kaiju does kinda freak out a bit about heats. LOL ... fun stuff!

The good news is, WSL only come in season every 9-12 months... so you'll have a nice break.

----
  • Theresa,
    Email or call me. I can take Kaiju while you are gone. He and Kurenai will have a blast.

Jesse
  • Can I just say?... I love the Forum Family!
    helpin each other out :)
  • Thanks!!
  • Well, let's just say an accidental tie between Kurenai and Kaiju wouldn't be a bad thing ;-)

Jesse
  • Jesse...it would not be accidental, lol! =p

Theresa, I was going to offer to swing by and take Kaiju as well. Kotomi would enjoy it and Sakura would eventually "warm up". Depending on how Kaiju is unsupervised with the girls...I could always rotate Shoushuu and Kaiju. One day leave Shoushuu with the girls, take Kaiju with me to work and then visa-versa. Only thing is that Kaiju would need to be updated on his DA2PP, Rabies and Bordetella has to have been done within the past 6 months even if he has the 1 year boost.
  • No real advice either, except that removing him from the situation will help. I also have a male shikoku who goes absolutely bonkers when the female is in heat. Completely loses his brain, cries, whines, pulls towards her, etc, etc, etc.

Hopefully Jesse and Corina can help you out! You feel for them because the instinctual urge is so strong to make the nice well behaved dog a crazy boy during this period!
  • Conker goes nuts for in-heat females, and he's got no balls! He's not insane about it, but I can always tell when a female is in heat nearby since he starts ignoring me and looking for her in a manner that he does not use with anything else. I guess he didn't get the memo that males aren't supposed to seek out females when they don't have their rocks anymore.
  • thanks everyone, I will probably have him stay with jesse since I already got stuff sent to his house :-) @shikokuspirit--thanks for the offer!
    so far, Kaiju has chewed through his crate (not all the way mangled), drywall and a leash; his eating habits is bonkers, mainly because he refuses to eat unless it's raw or ziwipeaks (even then, I have to leave it out for him and wait for him to settle before he eats it). If it's kibble, forget about it. Kilbe is loving all the attention she is getting from him (he didn't like her prior to this heat business), but catching flack from Bea. Bea has managed to nip her several times so they are on permanent time out (Bea is spayed). I don't know how breeders do it...this is crazy.
  • @ttddinh - mine started almost at the same time as yours. So far, it hasn't been that bad, beside the fact that they walk like a 2 dog train, lol. I had this elaborate plan the keep them apart in my little apartment but they still just follow habit so i don't have to do much but put one on either side of my bed. They'd literally have to walk/jump on me to get to one another! The only thing I have noticed is that Ciqala usually cries when she wakes up now (Why?) and that food time is always tense because Saru gets whiny which pisses Ciqala off.

@brada1878 - If this started when you got out here when is it over? We're at the "honey" stage i think :(
  • @ttddinh - Kuma never eats during the heat, it is very hard to get him to eat, even the most yummy food, during that time. So it seems Kaiju is doing the same. And I know that he gets worse and worse as she comes into her most receptive part of the heat (her heats usually last 3 1/2 weeks, first week he is manageable, second and third week, he's a basket case).
  • @Yandharr - The best way to tell is to look at her discharge. If it has any color to it then you still have at least 2 weeks. If there is no color, but she is still swollen, you probably need to keep her separated for another week. If she is no longer swollen, and she has no colored discharge, then you are at the very end. The safest way to tell if she is safe to be around your male is to watch how he is acting - if you notice him being less interested, and she is not swollen or bleeding, then it's probably safe - tho he he may still try to hump her for another few week.

----
  • @brada1878--From what you describe, it seems that Kilbe is getting out of heat. There has been no discharge since this past weekend. Further, her swelling is a lot less. When he tries to hump her, she growls at him (whereas before on sunday, she "offered herself" to her).
  • Yea, that sounds like the end of it!