Play Pen - alternative for crating.

edited March 2008 in Products & DIY
Well, I went ahead and copied Brad's idea on the Pen.  I thought it was a really great idea and even better, it is quite inexpensive and is very easy!  So I thought I would put together a little DIY so if any of you are interested in getting pens for your pups, you can see how easy it really is.

THINGS YOU NEED:

1. Pen
2. At least 1/2" board/wood
3. Vinyl Sticky Tile
4. Screws or Nails (optional)
5. Zip Ties
6. 30 minutes time (if you have all the parts)

Step 1: Measurements

Set up the pen in whatever shape you like, measure the pen length x width and that will give you the dimensions you will need to get the correct amount of flooring. 

(Romi's = 4 x 4 = 16 sq ft., I went ahead and went a little bigger just in case and went 5 x 5 = 25 sq ft.)

Step 2: Making the flooring

I used 1/2" Hardi Backer Board in 5 x 5 size.  And I got 25 pieces of Vinyl Sticky Tile (each 1 foot in size).  The tile is VERY sticky, so you won't need to use any additional glue or adhesive.  Just start sticking the tile down on the board any way you please. 

Step 3:  Putting it all together

Once you have the flooring done, place it in your home where you want to keep the dogs.  Put the Pen on top of the flooring and rearrange the design whichever way you please.  To keep the pen in place, you can either drill a hole through the board and put a zip tie through and tighten it to keep it in place.  Or you can use screws or nails and stick those in the board and zip tie the nail/screw to the pen.

(this is how brad did it, using screws and zip ties)

Step 4: Add accessories

Add a bed, blankets, toys, chews, whatever you want to dress it up and make it comfy for your pup.

AND YOU'RE DONE!

PROJECT COST:

Gold Zinc Exersize Pen 24W x 42H 8 Panel - $85.99 (petsmart)

Hardi Backer Board Flooring 5 x 5 - $20.00 (home depot)

Vinyl Sticky Tile - $0.39/Each = $9.75 (home depot)

White Zip Ties - $2.48/case (home depot

Total project cost: $118.22 (no tax)

the final result...

PEN

Flooring

Ninja checking out the new pen

Portia checking out the new pen

Comments

• edited November -1
    Very nice DYI!! I might actually copy the idea with the one I was supposed to have delivered today.
  • edited November -1

That looks great Romi! Ninja's got a nice pad now, with a window and everything. Smile

The only issue we have had with our pens (we have used them for 3 years or so), is that Ahi likes to pull the tile up. It takes her a lot of time to get it going but she can do it. She has only done this a few times tho, times when we had to leave her in there all day because we had an event to be at or something.

They work really well tho, and are very mobile since it all folds up... and if they have an accident while they are in there it doesn't get all over your home.

Hilo loves his pen, he will just go right in and sleep - doesn't bother him at all.

• edited November -1

Lol Ninja and Portia are in the same position when checking out the pen.

You guys have a great idea. I'm gonna steal it when my shiba comes home. though it'll be another year

• edited November -1

Yeah, I tried to make it like a hotel suite, you know with a view and all...and so he can sunbathe if he wants lol.   I don't think he is tall enough to see the view though.  Portia seems to like it better than Ninja.  It might be because we're using her bed in there and she likes to sleep on it.  Wow, Ahi is a smarty pants!  I dont' think that Ninja or Portia would be smart enough to figure out that you would be able to pull the tiles off. 

• edited November -1
    Very nice Romi!!! I'm sure they are going to love it in there.
  • edited November -1
    Awesome job!!
  • edited November -1
    That is really nice.  He gets to lay in the sunshine all day.  That is also a really good price for a pen that big and sturdy.
  • Getting a JA puppy this coming Friday (4/6) and found this awesome DIY post to make an enclosure. Here is how mine came out:

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii570/rdgim/

My costs were a bit more compared to OP due to a larger footprint but here is how much it cost for the whole project (incl. tax):

1.5"x4'x8' Hardie Backer board (Home Depot) - $20.58

Box of 30 Vinyl Adhesive Flooring (Home Depot) - $29.70

2 Extra Vinyl Adhesive Flooring (Home Depot) - $1.76

Box of 1" screws (Home Depot) - $6.97

Bag of 100 zip ties (Home Depot) - $5.99

2 Precision Exercise Pens 30" (Petco) - $159.98 ($79.99 each)

Total - $236.23

• edited April 2012
    Nice work there. :)

My next pup I'd love to do that so she/he has more room during it coarse I'll work on crating so he/she will be used to it for times we stay at hotel or traveling.
  • That is a nice pen! I am defiantly going to do this whenever I get another pup.
  • We do this for Miko and Ruby and they love it. I also made "curtains" for them by buying and hemming fabric, punching holes along the top hem and inserting grommets, and just attaching them with grosgrain ribbon. The dogs love them even more. They really enjoy the privacy. And my dining room is prettier, than just having two massive cages in it.
  • edited April 2012
    Lmao I read this like didn't Romi get me to do this for Koda three years ago? Then I looked at the date.

This is a good bump for all the Spring pups going to their new homes.
  • lol, yeah it was an old post but still a great DIY instructional. It should be sticked imho.

• It is most certainly a great post. Around that time there were a lot of prepping for your puppy threads. It was a trend on the forum as so many of us were getting NK for the first time. Even if we were experienced dog owners, we really got into being the best we could be. It was a cute time on the forum.

I used two expens for Koda with linoleum underneath. He was such a cute puppy. I can't believe he will be three in 18 days.
  • Great idea! And Jessica, I love the idea of curtains! We have a really giant midwest crate, and it would look a little more attractive with curtains. I see a project in my future!
  • @JessicaRabbit Great idea for the curtains. Would you be able to post a pic so we can see how it looks? =)

Thanks, Rob
  • Very cool! I love it! I have some fabric that would be perfect for this, too!
  • I agree, very nice job....bet the dogs like their privacy!
  • Very neat. Do the dogs jump out, though?

Jess, I always like the decor in your house.
  • Ruby used to jump out when she was a puppy. We put a ceiling on the kennel for about a year. After that we took it down and she stopped jumping out. Miko never has.

Heidi, thanks! I just put up a new light fixture in the room too that I am SUPER excited about.
  • Holy crap, I LOVE that! Where did it come from?
  • I first saw one like it in an antiques store in France. I obviously didn't buy it. I then saw a sad looking one at a flea market in New York for well over a thousand dollars. I found this one in an antiques store 3 miles from my house for $500 I talked them down to $300. I almost cried. You can't see in the picture, but the thing is all metal. Every flower, the rope, all of it. I just keep look at it and smile.