Working dog evaluation

edited July 2007 in General

Anyone ever try the PAWS evaluation on their shikoku?  I'd be interested to know how your pups would do!

http://www.malinut.com/ref/write/paws/

Comments

• edited November -1

Here's Ronan's results:

Prey:

Test 1: EX

Retrieve:

Depends, Ronan will do any of the top 3, depending on value of toy. Some he'll immediately bring back, others he wants all to himself.

Persistance:

EX always, always, always. Maybe relentless is a better term for Ronan. It's why he's called the Ronanator. He will NOT stop. He will NOT give up.

Tug:

EX This is Ronan's favorite game.

Possesiveness:

EX Ronan will do any of those listed in EX, again, actions depend on the value of the toy.

Recall:

Hmmm. They didn't mention if I still have one of his favorite toys or not. If I do, the answer is EX. If the value is high, Ronan will jump up on me without fail. If I don't have anything of interest, Ronan will usually flat out ignore me.

Attention:

EX - IF I have a high value toy. He won't cock his head though. He'll bark or do all tricks and obedience things he's been taught to illicit me in giving up the prize. 

• edited November -1

Tenji scored excellent in prey, retrieve, hunt, tug  and in possessiveness he is excellent in regripping and trying to re-engage.  He could be excellent on recall but it depends entirely on where and what Turk is doing. He is also easily distracted but I attribute that to his adolescence.Undecided   It would be interesting to try this test again in about 9 months.

• edited November -1

This is EXACTLY the kind of test I did when assessing the Shikoku to see if the breed would suit my lifestyle. And obviously they passed! 

I would be interested to know too any changes from adolescence to adult. In 9 months My unborn Shikoku puppy should be around a year of age by then too.

I'm hoping to see in my puppy:

- Excellent Prey Drive (crazy excitied; almost bursting with energy; high pitch barks; difficult to restrain)

- Excellent Persistence (pushy, pushy, pushy!)

- Excellent Tug Response ("Oh a toy!" -clamp- "I'm gonna steal it from you!")

- Excellent Possessiveness ("Mine!" hopefully will run around with or carry it)

~~~> I would also like to see some resilence.

[-giggles- I did this test using a rope tug on Retsu (Katja dog) and what does she do? She grabs it and then flings it into the air. Picks it up and shakes it. There was a bit of chewing and then she dropped it (I think something had distracted her as she turned her attention somewhere else). It was SO cute though! I loved the flingingness - THAT'S not anywhere on the test, lol.]

Though it'd be great to have everything else just as "natural", I know that may not always be possible. Especially since I don't know if I will have more then 1 male to choose from or if I'll have my pick from mutiple litters (maybe I won't have a choice? I just have to trust my breeder; he knows what I want). Everything else can be worked upon through training and building the dog up for these behaviors/responses anyways though. Either way, I believe I will get a great dog, tis' just going to be a matter of how to raise and train him.

Anyone else going to take this test?

• edited November -1

We plan to try the test this weekend - we have been waiting for the landscapers to come and cut our grass. [we are lazy]  Embarassed

• edited November -1

Oh Corina...

I have no doubt the Shikoku is the PERFECT dog for you. Perfect, perfect, perfect. 

Did I mention perfect? 

• edited November -1
    Sounds like they'll be perfect for me, too.  I have a lot of jobs for my shikoku planned!
  • edited November -1

I think they are perfect for both of you - you both seem to have the breed's best interest in mind and obviously have a good deal of experience with 'working' breeds. You guys just need to hurry up and get one.

We planned to do the test this weekend but it rained all weekend - sucked. I'm sick of the rain.

Rain + Dogs = sucks