Ca SB1221- bill to ban the use of hunting dogs to hunt bear and bobcat. (oppose)

edited June 2012 in Bills, Laws, etc.
Another attempt to ban hunters from using working breeds.

Legislature Takes Aim at Banning Dogs for Hunting Bears and Bobcats

The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) has joined forces with Senator Ted Lieu and Senate President Pro Tempore Darrell Steinberg to introduce Senate Bill 1221, legislation that would outlaw the use of dogs for hunting bears and bobcats in California.  This misguided legislation not only threatens the long-standing tradition of hunting these species with hounds, but would set precedent placing all other types of hunting with dogs in serious jeopardy.  In addition to this concern, COHA is committed to ensuring that all natural resource management decisions - including method of take - are appropriately made by the California Fish and Commission, in public forum and based on the best available science.

COHA will work with our member organizations - including the California Houndsmen for Conservation and the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance - and our individual members to defeat this blatant anti-hunting measure. Stay tuned to future Field Wires for more information and how you can assist COHA in this effort.

Comments

• Here's the link as described by Senator Lieu. For those who support the use of dogs for hunting, please let them know that this is not right.

http://sd28.senate.ca.gov/news/2012-03-22-sented-w-lieu-introduces-bill-end-unsporting-and-inhumane-practice-using-packs-dogs-

Every thing described is untrue and exaggerated. If this passes the next up will be bird dogs, boar dogs, herding dogs, and breed bans. All coming to a state near you.
  • This really sad. :(

Sorry this is happening sad I thought this was land of the free, but it seems government is getting more and more controlled on things.

BSL, no dogs for hunting soon no dogs as pets..
  • Exactly, this is how it starts.
  • This is crazy! :(
  • Just remember, "We are from the government and are here to take care of you. After all we know better than you". Little by little they chip away at our freedoms and right to self determination. One day the average person will wake up and ask how could this happen?
  • edited March 2012
    Ugh, this is stupid. If you find a petition against it, let me know.
  • I will and InuRyuu is right one. This is just the start and what's scary is that this actually might pass.
  • aykayk
    edited April 2012
    From a NAIA alert:

PLEASE OPPOSE SB 1221 bans hunting with hounds

Take Action!
    Please maintain traditional hunting practices!

Please oppose California Senate Bill 1221, a bill to ban bear and bobcat hunting with hounds

Successful wildlife management programs rely on the application of well developed biological principles to sustain and perpetuate healthy populations of wildlife and conserve the natural environment. State-based wildlife management programs, which monitor animal populations and utilize regulated hunting to achieve their mandates, are so successful they have become the model for the rest of the world. The partnership between hunters and government agencies saves taxpayers money while enabling private citizens to help the state curb unsustainable populations and conserve habitat.

When hunting is banned, the state loses licensing revenue and state agencies must hire the same sportsmen at taxpayer expense who formerly paid a licensing fee to hunt, to cull out-of-control populations. At a time when state budgets are going broke, it’s grossly irresponsible to ban hunting without a sound scientific basis.

The ban on bear and bobcat hunting with hounds that Senate Bill 1221 seeks is not based on sound wildlife management principles, nor have any scientifically valid reasons been offered as the basis of the bill. Black bear populations have doubled since the early 1980, while the habitat available to sustain them has decreased. The number of bobcats taken by hunters in the state has steadily declined from 3700 in 1980 to only 238 in 2010. No scandalous "black sheep" events have marred the image of hunting in recent times. So what is driving SB 1221?

SB 1221 was introduced by Senators Ted Lieu and Darrell Steinberg, and sponsored by the most aggressive anti-hunting activist group in the nation, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). SB 1221 offers HSUS a two-fer: a high profile opportunity to push their radical anti-hunting agenda while sticking their finger in the eye of the California Fish and Game Commission for not caving in to their demands.

NAIA Trust urges lawmakers to follow the process established by California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) to assure that policies impacting the state's natural resources are based upon the best available science. We also urge lawmakers to oppose changes in traditional hunting practices that are based on dogma rather than an understanding of wildlife conservation.

There are no sound scientific, practical or economic reasons to support SB 1221.

NAIA Trust joins the California Outdoor Heritage Alliance, the California Houndsmen for Conservation, the Masters of Foxhounds, the US Sportsmen's Alliance and the California Responsible Pet Owners Coalition in opposing SB 1221 and calls on other California dog enthusiasts to urge their representatives to reject it as well.

Write your representative now by scrolling to the Take Action link at the top. This will bring you to a list of talking points which you can select by simply clicking on them. After selecting the ones you agree with most, please change them to your own words so that each letter will be unique.

• Thanks for posting!
  • Sent! Thanks for the link
  • That link isn't going to work for me, because I'm not from California, but I will figure out a way to send a letter. Rules about hunting and working dogs made up by people who don't understand hunting or working with dogs are complete non-sense!
  • Thanks for posting!
  • Well guys unfortunately SB1221 passed te senate Comittee for natural resources approved the bill 5-3. I believe this will now goto the house for approval to be on the ballot box in November. Even with 600 opponents and mass e-mails, phone calls, and speech time, the politicians ignored the opposition to SB1221.

Sad day for the hounds men and women of California and the nation. HSUS comming to a state near you.

• Counting down the days until hunting boars with dogs become illegal...
  • I'm really sorry to hear this. I was disturbed, too, but how the description of the bill posted in the beginning of the thread makes it sound as if this really is something people who care about animals and dogs WOULD want to oppose--it really distorts what hunting with dogs is about, and makes it sound like people who hunt with dogs area also routinely cruel to their dogs. Of course the majority of people who care about animals would read that and say "oh yeah, this is a terrible thing" instead of knowing what hunting with dogs is really like. This kind of misinformation is really awful.
  • Exactly, it's just a bunch of lies and distorted opinions. The fact is that ca hounds men and women are a vital part of conserving black bears and bobcats. Not only does this allow hunters to accurately choose mature animals, it also teaches the animals released that humans are scary. We'll see what happens after this, it's going to take some money to fight this now but there's still a chance that it may not pass.

Keep fingers crossed.
  • I really hope the bill doesn't pass. It would suck if we can't use our dogs to hunt anymore. Is the DNR opposing this bill as well?
  • The bill is up in the full Senate for a vote. Here's a link on how to write to your Senators:

http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/issues/alert/?alertid=61280081&queueid=8268433756
  • I will just never understand why people think hunting with dogs is cruel. It's really normal where I'm from and honestly I think it's a blast for the dogs. I'm not really interested myself, but I honestly still thought about taking it up because I think my dog could be really good at it with the right training and I think he'd enjoy it too.
  • I think people are opposed to a pack of dozens of hounds chasing down and ripping to shreds a defenceless wild animal, which admittedly is less humane than a simple bullet. Of course, people don't realize that that's not really what's going on.

From what I've read, hunting with dogs became illegal here in Alberta after someone let their pack of dogs rip apart a coyote close to the city. There was an uproar and they just took the whole thing too far. I think it's mainly the fact that hunting is becoming less popular, and all these laws are being pushed by urbanites who don't really know what they're talking about and are taking a black-and-white approach to something they don't understand. It's a real shame. It's not even legal to blood trail wounded game with a dog now because of this overreaction.

And then of course they frame these laws like you'd be a monster not to support them. It's like if I went up to someone and said, "Either you're a child molester, or you'll give me $50!"
  • @hondru, your comment reminded me of this newspaper clipping:

It's sad because so many people actually think like that, or feel that since you can get meat commercially then there's no use to hunting. These are the same people who don't realize how poorly treated the livestock are and how many bad things are in commercial meats.
  • wow ^^ i think hunting is better for the animal than feedlots... i mean at least they get to roam and eat then one day it ends abruptly. Feed lots are terrible conditions, the animals are overfed and have health issues. Best case scenario is raised on a nice big farm, but its not practical to feed a lot of people.
  • @lizzysilvertongue Properly done sustainable farming with crop and animal rotation is a very good system for producing a lot of food in a small amount of space. Some farmers do it and provide more and healthier food than your standard feedlot without the terrible environmental harm and animal abuse. Most that follow that style are pretty small though, but if more people (consumers) paid attention there would be more demand, and more farmers who'd do it, and the need for food would be met. There would be less of a "need" for inhumane treatment of animals intended to be eaten if people actually gave a crap. Same goes for crops. The current system destroys the soil and pollutes water, kills beneficial insects, encourages disease, etc.

Anywho, yeah, hunted meat is much better than feedlot meat in both life and taste. Most people don't see that because you, the hunter, goes out and shoots the animal instead of going to the store and buying it already killed and cut up for you. And it tastes better because it ate a proper diet during it's entire life.
    Why should they care what other people do for food? It really doesn't affect them at all. It's not fair for someone who doesn't participate to be able to make the rules. But hey, that's how this wonderful country works.

Once banning hounds in in effect, what's to stop them from coming after the bird dogs? And hunting in general? I really don't understand a lot of people.
  • Sorry, just came out of a stunned state after reading the news clipping.... hunting is so prevalent where we live I forget sometimes how people think (or rather don't think) about where their food comes from....
  • @CarabooA - Yeah, it's amazing how people lack the basic understanding of where meat comes from. I've met a few people who actually believed that meat was something the animals would drop, kind of like how chickens lay eggs. And there was another person who believed that all meat was manufactured, like how candy and soy foods are manufactured. When they found out that the animals had to actually be killed and butchered, these people looked to be about to lose their lunch.
  • @Calia - again I say "Gasp" !!! I really think I would be lost for words if I came across that...lol