The HSUS BS

edited March 2012 in Bills, Laws, etc.
This has been our heated issue pertaining to the rediculous things that PETA, HSUS, and preservationists do to push their worthless agenda.
It may not mean much to many of us dog owners but these are the same people who would like to do away with special breeds like the ones we love so much.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/mar/07/california-hunters-animal-rights-activists-collide/

Comments

• It means a lot to me, not only as a hunter, but as a dog owner too. If they get all hunting banned, they're gonna come after pets even harder.
  • Yep, it's ridiculous that they're asking for his resignation because he legally took a mountain lion in another state.

• I hate PETA and HUSA with a passion.. I mean the guy hunted one where it was OK Right? IT wasn't in California so?

Hope things work out in the end.
  • Gen! You know how this makes me feel!!!! Don't even get me STARTED!! lol

They've been targeting reptile keepers for years. Last year they've started going after bird owners. Who do you all think is next? Dogs of course.

just remember this quote;

" First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me."

As well as the hunters, anyone who eats meat, anyone who produces milk & eggs, people who fish....

& remember HSUS is NOT the Humane Society!!!! Please no one donate to them. HSUS are lobbyists. If you want to donate, donate to your local pet rescue, not HSUS!!! ~
  • This is ridiculous! I understand conservation, but he did not break the law! Ugh.
  • edited March 2012
    Regardless on individual beliefes on hunting and fishing, the bottum line is we all need to stick together to fight these organizations that constantly try to control and take away our freedom. Soon we will all be seeing mandatory neuter/spay laws spearheaded by these organizations and unless we fight back by voicing our concerns we will all be on the same boat headed toward loss of our freedom to enjoy our animals and pets. Currently the HSUS has invaded the Dept. of Fish and Game in California, to the point that there are HSUS agents working with Game Wardens out in the field.

Please keep this from happening in your state, fight back by writing, e-mailing, and calling your state reps and tell them that this is not ok. Let them know that when a Government representative supports these organizations, they will be voted out of Office by the people who they represent. Please dont let the HSUS, PETA, and other radical organizations infiltrate state governemnt bodies and take away our freedom, act today so there is a future tomorrow.
  • This is absolutely ridiculous. PETA and the HSUS are beyond radical and try to push their points of view onto other people.
  • I HATE those 2 groups so much. And the fact that they're trying to make him resign for doing something legal is ridiculous.

@shishiinu is there anywhere we can go to sign a petition against his resignation?

@sangmort what is this about them going after bird owners? Like what have they been doing recently against us? (I haven't really been keeping up with bird stuff recently)
  • @Araks - The same stuff they try to do with the reptile & exotics people. I can't remember what it was specifically ATM, I remember hearing about it last year when I started going to the Bird Expos. ] Lots of crackdowns at the show from Fish & Game on all the breeders, pushed by...guess who? HSUS. lol

Ultimately tho, they want everyone to not be able to enjoy any pet, whether they're a responsible owner or not :\ ~
  • I will keep you guys updated and post petitions on this thread. So far Comissioner Richards told every one to pound sand so he's staying on as the Comissioner. Best thing I can think of is to flood Rep Ben Hueso's email letting him know that he's in the wrong.
  • Hope things work out for the guy. Sucks organizations like this exist. I don't hunt, but I respect those who hunt for food, pelts, and stuff.

I'd hate it for laws to get stricter on these good hunters it's already hard for hunters who hunt with dogs. :\

I only own three corn snakes used to be three, but he died he was pretty old..

I agree all PETA and HSUS wants is for all pets to be banned..

I'm not into hunting like I've said, but I do enjoy reading up on how dogs are used in different types of hunts..

I do fish in my pond so that's semi hunting hehe. Blue gill and bass yummy..
  • @shishiinu--Yes, let me know. I will sign petitions and send emails (please, if you have the email address, please let me know, thanks).

Those extremists drive me nuts. When I was at Davis, they burnt my lab's corn fields to protest against genetically modified corn. Well, they burnt all the wild-type (normal) corn. Then, there was a big shut down in our building because they came and some idiot strapped himself to this DNA structure in our building (he even wore diapers with the intention of staying there for a long time). Mind you, this DNA strand is a structure suspended from the ceiling, held by cables! Of course, I am sure he would have sued if the structure fell and he hurt himself.
  • Yep, HSUS and PETA are turds. Right now, HSUS is lobbying to get a bill passed in West Virginia making it illegal to own a pet that hasn't been domesticated or raised as livestock. This could include the banning of popular exotic pets such as guinea pigs, parrots and tropical fish: http://www.pijac.org/_documents/wv_sb_477_wild_exotic_animals.pdf

PETA keeps getting weirder and weirder. Their recent campaign was about how Vegans make better lovers, their commercials upsetting many women's rights advocates who feel that it demoralizes women. Another somewhat recent thing PETA was fighting against was Nintendo's Mario wearing a Tanuki suit in a newly released video game. Somehow, wearing a suit that you acquire by grabbing a leaf, and can make you fly, promotes the wearing of fur coats.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/11/peta-takes-on-nintendos-mario-and-his-tanooki-suit.html
  • Also there's that "Big Cats" law on a federal level in attempt to make it illegal to possess, own or breed any of the big cats (i.e. Lions, Tigers, Cheetahs, etc) in private ownership:

"HR 4122, The Big Cats and Public Protection Safety Act, sponsored by California Representative Buck McKeon and Representative Loretta Sanchez amends the Captive Wildlife Safety Act by removing the exemption for USDA licensed professionals. This act also amends the Captive Wildlife Safety Act by adding three new prohibited activities “breeding, owning or possessing” any of the seven species of great cats defined as “prohibited wildlife species”."

"Only AZA member zoos are exempt from the prohibition on possession, ownership and breeding great cats."

"USDA licensed breeders and exhibitors will be prohibited from engaging in the commercial activity that their federal license permits."

"Captive habitat for great cats created by circus, television, movie, outreach education, and conservation breeding and zoological facilities will be eliminated."

"Irreplaceable genetic lines of threatened and endangered felines will be managed into extinction."

"The Big Cats and Public Protection Safety Act is another animal rights agenda cloaked in the false label of “public safety” to enable these extremists to manipulate public opinion and legislators into thinking that a safety issue is being addressed."

http://capwiz.com/gwpark/issues/alert/?alertid=61054931
  • Sad thing is is that some of these animals would be extinct if not for the private ownership and care of responsible people. I think there are a few tiger species that are extinct in the wild but still kept in zoos, private households and sanctuaries. I myself own a species of gecko (Rhacodactylus Leachianus) who has various locales(breeds) that are believed to be extinct in the wild due to rats and fire ants.

In the end, if they succeed at banning exotic pets, who's to say that they won't go after domestic pets such as cats and dogs. Some smaller groups are already using these exotic animal bans as fire for BSL.
  • edited March 2012
    @Calia - That's exactly what they'll do.

These organizations want all contact between humans and the other animals severed. They make it quite obvious. They're slowly winning too.

PETa's president is one of the biggest threats to the Pit Bull. She was bitten by one and wants them all destroyed. Once she bans them and all "bully breeds" she will go for dogs with high bite rates. Then she'll probably campaign against the most popular breeds, claiming they're "to unhealthy to exist".

Pet ownership is an “absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation.”
    -Ingrid Newkirk, PETA

“…Eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship, enjoyment at a distance.”
    Ingrid Newkirk – Founder, PETA

“In a perfect world, all other than human animals would be free of human interference, dogs and cats would part of the ecological scheme.”
    PETA’s Statement on Companion Animals

“Probably everything we do is a publicity stunt…We are not here to gather members, to please, to placate, to make friends. We’re here to hold the radical line.”
    Ingrid Newkirk – Founder, PETA
  • See, and I hope I'm not the only one, these extremist groups (not just PETA and HSUS), often anger me so much that any intelligible argument I may have is reduced to: [profanity] you.
  • edited March 2012
    @BradnJess - Nope. You're not alone!!

---

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2012-02-01/exotic-animal-industry-us?page=5

Relatively recent show regarding the exotics bans. you can see Wayne Pacelle [ CEO of HSUS ] true colours come out. ~
  • @BradnJess I've had personal experience with a PETA nut attempting to take one of my dogs from me (thanks angry neighbor for freaking them the crap out with a sledge hammer!) so I do not take kindly to them when I encounter them on the streets no more. I often say quite a lot more than a simple [profanity] you if they so much as look at me.
  • @Losech I'm honestly at a loss for words. There are boundaries you DO NOT cross, and I think one (among many) fundamental problem with these extremist groups is a complete ignorance those boundaries. Crossing those boundaries really, truly violates a person, I feel (but I highly doubt their agenda in any way, shape, or form, cares about the well-being of humans). Where an extremist's logic goes awry and feels it is perfectly within his/her rights to cross the boundary of ownership and relationship between a human and his or her companion is beyond me. Sometimes I think that they are even ignorant of what companion animals actually are: to separate a companion from a loving, warm, secure relationship with human(s) is unbelievable distressing. How they've managed to fool themselves into thinking that's in the best interest of the animal is also beyond me. Along similar lines, how “in a perfect world, all other than human animals would be free of human interference, dogs and cats would part of the ecological scheme” even makes viable sense elludes me. Somehow I don't see the majority of the companion animals seemlessly integrating into the ecological context after how many centuries of co-dependence and development relatively independent of the natural environment?

Anyways, that's my long rant/digression that ends in: I can't believe that happened to you, and I am incredibly thankful you had a very sane neighbout with a sledgehammer, as odd as that sounds!
    It wouldn't be pretty if someone tried to snatch Arg.

On a side note, I was discussing this with my supervising professor, who, as a behaviourist, worked with animals for 30+ years and had to deal with the early extremists on a consistent basis. The unbelievable irony is, when he was on the Canadian Psychological Association panel for the development of an ethical code for the treatment of animals and was involved in the early surveys of the laboratories and (extremist) animal shelters/groups alike, it was the laboratories that were already adhering to the majority of the principles, while the so-called shelters that endorsed extremist views were severely violating those principles. :\ I believe they were evaluating the shelters with the purpose of establishing the realistic expectations of the principles on the original premise that those shelters would probably be treating the animals well. That fell through.
  • On a funnier note, these groups psychological bearings are so out of whack they tries to free shamu from sea world under anti slavery laws...

But the California director for PETA owns a dog as a pet...
  • edited March 2012
    I have a funny story. I was at one of our rescue's mobile events infront of a store that was hosting us, and we had a couple kittens and puppies in crates. I was holding a pair of kittens, when some freak came up to us and said some PETA B.S. along the lines of, "Get those animals out of cages. They don't belong there!"(just crazier) All the volunteers and adopters gave her the funniest looks, and she basically made herself sound like a crazy person.

And let's all not forget the volume of animals that PETA euthanizes each year.
  • I was at a began ice cream truck here in providence, and I mentioned my distaste for PETA (I believe my exact words were "I'm convinced PETA was created by the meat industry to make animal advocates look bad"). A woman at the truck informed me that she actually was an employee of PETA for many years and wanted to hear what my complaints were... I informed her that I have no support for an organization that advocates the slaughter of my most beloved breed of dog (no secret I am a huge supporter of rescuing pit bulls) and that PETA had killed more than 92% of the animals they "rescued" last year. She actually just shut up and walked away. First time I ever got one of them to go away peacefully.
  • I thought it was the HSUS that had that 92% kill rate.
  • Maybe they both do it? I read PETA has that 92% kill rate.. Who knows.
  • edited March 2012
    I'm glad you started this thread, Shishiinu. There are orgs to defeat these people. Here in NH, OI work with www.nhdogs.org.
    We fight for our rights of ownership of ALL animals.
    I subscribe to www.humanewatch.org.
    It's a fight we'll all be partaking in at some point.
    DOGS has a good track record. The HSUS rep is in the same hearing rooms as we are and they are in every state.
    HSUS and PETA are one and the same. Same people etc.
  • As far as I know, HSUS does not have any actual shelters. Remember, they're a lobbyist group...not a humane society. ~
  • Both hsus and PETA operate kill shelters. Recently Virginia PETA shelters killed more cats and dogs then local animal shelters. Hsus here in San Diego advertise as no kill but they actually have a special kill room for returned animals and animals that can't be adopted. It's all bs
  • Are you sure Gen? HSUS is NOT the "Humane Society." Humane Society [ local shelters ] have no affiliation with HSUS itself. I'm pretty sure HSUS doesn't have any shelters, but PETA does. ~