What's the difference between a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog & a Saarloos Wolfhound?

edited February 2012 in Other Breeds
And the dummy of the year award goes to...
ME!
Because I haven't been on here in forever. How's everyone doin'? :)

But anyways, I was browsing the interwebs when I came across wolfy breeds, and realized I had no idea what the difference was between the two breeds Czech wolfdog and saarloos wolfdog, or wolfhound, or what ever you prefer to call them!

Anyone have any ideas? Besides their origins. What's the difference?
Instead of looking it up myself, I thought it would just be better to ask on here since I haven't talked to you guys in a long long time!

Woof!

Comments

• Hi! How are you, anyway? I don't have much--er, any--experience with these dogs so I have no idea, but I wanted to say hi anyway, and hope you're doing well!
  • The Czech is lighter (26kg vs the Saarloos at 40kg), but they both seem pretty tall.

Also, they do have differing countries of origin & different founding breeders & breeding stock. (Czech vs Dutch)

The wolves used initially to create the breed are also different. The Czech used Carpathian wolf, the Saarloos used Mackenzie Valley Wolf.

Also figure that the GSDs used for each breed were different...

Really, they're different breeds. Not quite sure HOW different, but there's bound to be differences.

Hoped that helped some. ~
  • Well that clears it up much better! Thanks! And I've been doing very good, graduated and going to college this summer!
  • Glad it was of some use, wish I knew more to tell you :) ~
  • It just so happens I was researching these breeds of dogs as well. The main difference really is the way they interact I believe. Also the fact that the Saarloos Wolfhound is more protected by their breeders and they don't like to sell them (they like to keep in the family I guess? What I've read anyway). I think the Saarloos Wolfhound is more shy and an older breed (I think). The Czech Wolfdog is also know for search and rescues and is mainly used for those kinds of purposes and it has a longer average life span. The Czech can tolerate smaller living conditions than the Saarloos (it can live in an apartment as long as it gets regular exercise). I do believe the Saarloos Wolfhound is more of a pack animal and more wolf-like in its behaviour but apparently is easier to train, more amenable to urban life, and is more responsive than the Czech. There's not much information on them really though because they are both generally new breeds (under a century if I'm not mistaken). But I do believe with the Czech you don't need a license anymore to own one (depending on where you live?). This is just what I've come across on the internet, I plan on speaking to a breeder though and if you are interested you should too. When I do I will let you know what they say if you're still interested.