Odate Tosa

Photobucket

Photobucket

Chu Ken Hachiko

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Zen'Nihon Tosainu Zenshu Taikan from the Sudos, original published in Meiken Gaho

Photobucket

Photobucket

Comments

• Amazing collection! Thank you for sharing. Do you have dates?
  • Wow! Great photos. I've never heard of Matagis before... are they related to the Akita? They look kind of similar.

I LOVE the black tuxedo shikoku!

Jen
  • thank you for the beautiful animals pictures
  • Thanks for sharing these photos! It's always interesting to see how breeds have changed over the years.
  • Great photos. I'm guessing you also have the ouko nihon ken shashinsuu. Great book on compilations of old nihon kens.
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks for sharing! its interesting to see how the akita has evolved in the last recent history. (and to see old pictures of the other nihon ken:)
    Reminds me of the book called "Dog Man". You should read it if you ever run across it. It is about a man who founded the modern akita after WWII. He counted only 16 akitas after the war, and there are pictures of many of his dogs in the book. The book focuses on his akitas and breeding and how he lived in the middle of no where in Japan, bringing electricity to rural villages. He used to go to the shows in japan, I think he died a few years ago? http://marthasherrill.com/dog-man
  • You are welcome. The only date that I am really sure of, is the picture from Akita Gatama, he was an Ozeki ranked Akita in 1910.
    He had a historical fight with a Tosa called Amagiyama, son of Kubo, the most wanted stud in those days in Tokyo. Amagiyama was the first Zenkoku Yokozuna in Tosa history. After that fight the Japanese saw that the Tosa was far more superior in the ring and it was one of the last fights between Akita and Tosa.
  • Thanks for sharing! The Matagi looks awesome! Are they rare or common now in Japan?
  • edited February 2012
    Matagi means hunting dog. The current logic is that the modern Japanese Akita came from lines containing the Matagi inu as well as other regional dogs.

So in a distant sense yes the are k still around. I have always had issues with the 16 Akita theory. I saw that as 16 registered or something like that.
  • Thanks Sean, great pics.
  • I wish I could take credit for these photos.
  • I was told that the matagi ken of the tohoku region was extinct until Shigeru met someone who still has the Akita matagi hunting dogs. The matagi refers to the Professional hunters of the kantou and tohoku regions of Japan (northern main land Japan). The dogs they hunted with were the Akita matagi ken.

It would be awesome to see an actual Akita matagi ken alive today.
  • @thewalrus-- Did you happen to take a picture of the Akita matagi (not assuming that you carry a camera around with you everywhere and when you see a cool dog, you take a picture for our benefit, btw)?
  • I wonder if shig's could get me a cheek swab.
  • @*jackburton*--A cheek swab?!!! Hahhaa, now I don't feel so bad asking for a picture!
  • Great pics, thanks @kimputai!

It's interesting how rangy that Kai Ken is.
  • I find the changes in the dog from then to now really amazing. Every dog has seem to have some sort of change to it.

@ttddinh - I'd tell you why but then I would have to kill you.
  • Wow, thanks for sharing these! I really like the Matagi dogs and Shikoku. The rangy Kai is interesting. I kinda like it that way.
  • I do have some pictures somewhere, I'll try and scrounge them up. As far as cheek swabs go.... I'd have to be up there in the area again. Since I don't snowboard anymore, I don't have as much of a reason to drive 12 hours north.
  • don't snowboard anymore??? Wha????? Shame on you!
  • Hope you are still surfing though.
  • @kimputai- Thanks for all the great old photos. Was especially interested in the Mikawa, since it is rumored that they may have contributed somewhat to the Shiba lines. I had always visualized them as small dogs, but that picture shows a very solid, fairly good sized dog. (I'm one of the folks on the Shiba forum.)
  • Those are great pics! Interesting to see how different the Akitas were, though one looks like the AAs do now....
  • edited February 2012
    That Kai Sachi looks tall (long legs), very pretty though. The Shikoku reminds me more of a Laika, lol. Cool photos, thanks for sharing.

Oh and I love the Akita Onishiki!
  • Matagi Fuchi

Photobucket

Matagi Potsu

Photobucket

Akita

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • Those akita's look so much like Norwegian elkhound!