"Beware of Dog" "No Trespassing" and liability

13»

Comments

• Brad, that made me laugh, but you know, I am constantly astounded by the stupidity of people!

apparently, this process server wasn't a total idiot though. He came back tonight, because the douche of a lawyer he's working for said he wanted the subpoena delivered in my hands (giving it to my husband wasn't good enough, nevermind that I've already been called by the other side, so will be there anyway). This time, he honked the horn and didn't come in. When I went out, he apologized for his return, and said "your dog scared the crap out of me!" Then he asked if Oskar would "really" bite, and I decided to say, yeah,probably. I told him there were two others too (but didn't mention they were Shibas!) He said "you guys have really good security here with those big ass scary dogs!" *lol*

• That's an interesting story, kinda scary, but still interesting.
    My dogs sound big and scary but once you open the door and step in, they are all lovey and will help you carry out the TV. Well, Conker isn't, he's the "alarm" dog and won't shut up unless I go see what the cause of the disturbance is. But the Girls? Nah, everybody is a friend.

But yeah, the stupidity of people really astounds me sometimes.
  • Good thread and, @shibamistress, that's a scary story about the process server! I've had two salesmen step over an iron gate on a small porch and walk through the open door into my house; fortunately, the Akitas I had then just smiled. With the blind Akita I have now, that wouldn't have ended well. I'm interested in the dog bite insurance Bard wrote about, http://www.xinsurance.com , and wondered if anyone else has bought it and if anyone has used it when a dog bit. My Akitas are covered under my umbrella policy homeowner's insurance but would having a separate insurance for dog bites would protect me from being dropped by my homeowner's insurance?
  • Brad, not Bard--arthritic fingers and brain don't always work well.
  • I don't know about what Brad has. I just have the regular homeowner's insurance. But having seen Brad's COs in action, well, all I can say is, anyone who so those dogs and still tried to come on the property would be too stupid to live.
  • Just thought I'd add a pic of the new sign we got. My husband picked it out--I wanted the "protected by Akita security company" but he chose this one:

• edited March 2012
    @shibamistress--ROFL, you made my day. But in America, someone would probably claim that that is an implicit invitation to come in. Only in the US, where one rewards stupidity.
  • @shibamistress That's awesome!
    I saw one with a picture of a Shiba, teeth bared and all nasty looking, that said "Guarded by attack Shiba" and wanted to get it but it was something like $50. Too much for a sign for me.
  • I'm pretty certain my Lapphund wouldn't bite anyone (she barks and howls, but her bite thresholds are such that the chances of her even putting her mouth on someone are very low, and she's only ever growled at one person)--but I try to be aware of these things anyway. I'd always read it's best not to have a Beware of Dog sign unless you're afraid you might actually need it, and then just to be aware.

But what I really wanted to say was just what the signs I saw all over the place (once fences and gates) in Ukraine said. The majority of the "Beware of Dog" type signs--or even just paint scrawled across a fence--say ОБЕРЕЖНО! ЗЛАЯ СОБАКА!--that is, in the more comical way it can be translated, "Careful! Evil dog!" but really is going for more "Careful--bad-tempered dog." I preferred to translate it as "evil dog" though, because it amused me more that way.
  • Yeah, in Poland I saw zly piesky (not sure I've spelled that right, it's been many years since I lived in Poland) which is "bad dog") I do like "evil dog"!
  • What an interesting thread! We have "Beware Of Dog" signs up but it almost seems like people see it as a challenge instead of a clear warning to "keep out" in a lot of cases..... Some people seem to have less intelligence than a bag of concrete lol

• In FL it's actually strict liability for dog bites, means you are liable when your dog bites someone, period.

Now there are defenses to that, i.e. if you put up "Bad Dog" signs on your yard and someone trespasses your yard, you have a defense to liability. BUT, if a child < 6 enters your yard you are STILL liable.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0767/Sections/0767.04.html

Search your state's statutes. There's usually a dog bite one.