PoongSoon the Poongsan

Comments

• She's beautiful! I love that pic of the two of them together too--it gives a good idea of the coat contrast, but I also just love the pic.

Hey, did the JA from the neglect situation ever find a home?
  • I haven't swapped updates with ShaSha's foster home in a while, but I think ShaSha is still looking for a new home as his petfinder ad is still up. He is courtesy-listed with Ace of Hearts Dog Rescue.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20082621
  • Love the 'fro.
  • Nice pictures. She a really pretty dog. I barely knew that this breed existed haha.
  • I can see why some thinks they have a bit of Laika in them; the Amur Laika, one of the aboriginal types which now make up the artificial East Siberian Laika breed, has a lot of Asiatic features to them.
  • Beautiful photos! I love the male Poongsan- look at his lips! I just want to squish them. :)

Jen
  • I like that second picture too.
  • Oh, I like those pictures! It's very interesting to see the differences between the two dogs in the second pic.
  • It was great seeing you and your lovely girl this weekend. She looks a lot different than these photos now. :D
  • aykayk
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, I haven't updated here.

She also looks different than yesterday. Got dirtied up again. :-)

Here's a standing view. I'm hoping her legs will catch up to that huge chest of hers.

Her happy, dirty face:

And here's her favorite way of playing with BokDol:

• Do they have the double coat? BokDol's fur looks really thin and rough still.
  • What a cutie! I miss that grizzly main she had tho lol ~
  • aykayk
    edited March 2014
    Her parents had a nice double-coat. Harsh, upright, and prickly.

One of the reasons why I'm suspecting that he's hypothyroid is because of that coat and the skin on his belly. He doesn't have the irritability/aggression typical of hypothyroidism, but his coat is not staying on him.

For comparision, here's an example of a Jindo that was hypothyroid:

and after he started treatment:

The coat is still short/tight but in much better condition.
  • i've never heard of this breed, and I love that they're a larger breed too. I love the long hair behind her ears!! so adorable! :)))

Question, (and forgive at how ignorant this sounds).... but why does wikipedia say that this is a breed that is mixed with wolf? I have a hard time believing this, can you shed some light?
  • It's folklore common to a lot of Asian breeds. Shouldn't be taken too seriously as *if* it did happen, it was a very, very long time ago.
  • I really liked PoongSoon! She was very mellow and reserved, and super soft to pet! I also really enjoyed meeting you, Ann ( @ayk ). Sorry we didn't have much time to chat... I never feel like I can chat with people individually as much as I'd like when I have dog so manage.
  • She was actually more active when we first got there, but when she saw all the strange adult dogs arrive instead of her old classmates, she got a bit stressed and minded her manners really quick. She's not a confident reserved dog like my old male Jindo. She's still mentally a puppy despite her huge size.

Her coat is pretty and nice to pet, but it's really non-functional. Yesterday, the rain parted the fur on her back down the middle and wicked down to her skin. :-p

I'm leaning towards attending the Pet Expo now. If I go, there'll be plenty of deadtime to talk there. :-)

• @ayk - haha... yea, that is a rain-coat fail for sure! I hope you do go to the expo, Ann. I'd be great to chat more. :o)
  • Ah, you'll be at the Expo too, Brad?
  • @poeticdragon - Yep! Well, that is the plan, tho it may end up being Jen and Chase and not me. Depends on my work situation. I guess I will have Kai and a Kishu with me for the expo. No Shikoku, since I had planned to take Kaiju.
  • Well, kaiju could still be there! :)
  • I hope I did enough convincing to get you to go Ann!
  • aykayk
    edited April 2012
    Took some "nekkid" pictures of PoongSoon today. She's 1 yr old now. About 70 lbs and 24 inches at the shoulders.

Here's her chaperone BokDol. He's maybe 1.5 - 2 yrs old. About 80 lbs and 25 inches at the shoulders. Hard to believe that he used to be ~46 lbs when I first got him last June.

And here are two Poongsan brothers that I've temporarily taken in. They're both around 8 months old, 44 lbs, and 22 inches at the shoulders. Supposedly they were from N. Korea -> China - > Virginia -> soCal.

And here's a picture of PoongSoon and one of the brothers playing. PoongSoon does love to grab/catch her playmates. :-p

• Look at that fabulous tail! I'm in love with her coat. It looks so silky and soft (and feminine!) in these pictures, compared to the boys who look quite coarse and masculine. It's kind of cute.
  • PoongSoon is quite a gorgeous lady! And BokDol looks great! The Poongsan bros are pretty cute. Love those floppy ears.
  • They are great looking! Love those tails!
  • Man, I really like that first "brother" (first pic)... He has a nice head. And being form N. Korea is pretty amazing.

PoongSoon has matured since I met her. I really liked her, her coat was soooooooooo soft!
  • I like the first brother's head, but I also like how he recovers relatively fast from new situations.

I like the second brother's pigment, but I'm not too sure with his temperament yet. He is clearly bonded and submissive to his brother, looking for comfort from the same brother. Once his brother is gone to his new home, I'll be looking to see if he becomes bolder and recovers better from new experiences.

I think PoongSoon is nearly done growing physically, but I'm still waiting for her mind to catch up. I'm hoping that she'll be "grown up" enough to do the CGC in 4 weeks. :-p

I think BokDol being neutered at his mystery age last year altered what he could have looked like. I kinda wish he had more masculine physical traits so I could use him for exhibitions.
  • aykayk
    edited March 2014
    PoongSoon at 3 years of age. Last month's weigh-in at the vet was 81 lbs.

• She's matured quite nicely! Very beautiful girl.