Jomon Shiba

13»

Comments

• Maybe we take the Shikoku head shape discussion to another thread and not threadjack says the guilty offender.

Jesse
  • edited December 2011
    photo by Kyomachi kennel in Shibaho. http://blog.goo.ne.jp/wabisuke_1964/c/088c8d7ee8dfea9f8fb1e4d89403f926
    This is Wanta's father's grandchild's photograph. Jomon shiba have the belly which went up upwards thinly.
    It is called "巻き腹" ( makibara ) in Japanese. The dog with makibara is excellent in the athletic ability.
    He has a beautiful makibara especially.
    wabi-5wabi-1wabi-2
    wabi-3wabi-4
  • wow, nice dog! So lean!
  • I can see why you would say the longer dog has the better athletic ability. Dogs with a longer loin tend to be able to maneuver around better and make tighter turns. Shorter backs are becoming more popular in certain breeds, to the detriment of working ability. We can see this with terriers in the show rings, (and of course Shibas). The Earth dogs are getting so short backed, that they are unable to turn around in the tunnels in Go To Earth trials, and have to be dug out. Extremely long loins are also not desirable, due to greater risk of back injury. The Jomon looks quite athletic.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for the comment. It seems that I gave misunderstanding to lindsayt. Since the study of my English is insufficient, it apologizes. I think that Jomonshiba is not suitable for hunting in a tunnel.
    It is a form of the belly. I did not want to say about the back, the loins, and a leg.
    There is individual specificity also in the makibara in Jomonshiba now.I think that from now on, it will evolve into a form like greyhound.
    Dachshund with the beautiful makibara is in my neighborhood.
  • edited December 2011
    How interesting. Could you elaborate exactly on what is entailed by makibara? My understanding of the NIPPO standard is that there is also a tucked belly so I wanted to hear more detail on what distinguishes this trait.

Also, any reason for the move to a more greyhound type build? An interpretation of the Jomon shiba standard? It sounds like it has mire to do with appearance than function. I'm curious in particular since one of my pups is at least superficially built more like a Jomon bodywise but her headpiece is still much more the NIPPO standard.

I'll probably edit to add a photo.
  • edited December 2011
    It sees from side the line of the belly is going up upwards greatly.
    It may become "tucked belly" when makibara is translated into English.
    Many people of connection with Jomonshiba are said that makibara is good. and I also consider so by experience.
    If two kinds are kept simultaneously, a difference is known well.
    The direction of Jomon moves violently.
    I am glad when a Nippo follows me like a gentleman. I love both similarly.
    I found this video here.
    http://ameblo.jp/bososhishi/page-7.html#main

I think that the dog with a thick belly cannot be moved sharply.Ten years or more ago,there were few Nipposhiba with makibara.
    Greyhound is my overstatement. I think that from now on, the difference in the appearance of Nippo and Jomon will spread.

• Free running dogs!!! LOL Great video.
  • @ayk and ttdinh

Ahi's 'type' is not necessarily 'old type'. There has been, and still is some variation in the Shikoku. I may have given the impression that Ahi's type is an older type, but that was just from a conversation I had with some NIPPO members. That type was popular a while back, and there were quite a few dogs carrying those traits. They haven't necessarily been bred away from, you just don't see them much anymore.