Jomon Shiba

Comments

• edited December 2011
    @matagi1961 - 私の日本語はへたです。。。でも、あなたの犬は美しいです!!

Absolutely beautiful. :) Thanks for sharing! ~
  • It is the latest photograph. A little dog becomes large immediately.
    w-129-2w-129-1
    k1.5-2
  • They look great! I especially like the black one.

I feel like their head shape resembles a Shikoku a bit. That is interesting to me.
  • Head shape reminds me of the old-style Shikoku like Ahi. Wonder if they'll be a group that will keep the old-style Shikoku like in the Shiba?
  • Is it me or the Jomon resembles to the now extinct Japanese Wolf?
  • The Jomon has been back bred to resemble canines with bone structure similar to the bones unearthed from dogs that lived 1000's of years ago in Japan.
  • So, it's a re-creation breed?
  • Yes, Shibaho broke off from NIPPO way back when to breed toward this ancient Japanese dog type.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that small size Nihonken needs to move more sharply.
    Because small size Nihonken cannot win medium size by power.
    I feel functional beauty in Jomonshiba.

My dog's parents' photograph will be uploaded if an owner's permission is obtained.
    Please wait.
  • Thanks so much for posting pictures. I love the Jomon shiba look your two looks very beautiful.

• Wanta and parents' photograph. Photo by Komachi kennel in Shibaho.
    http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/qwywh515
    Appearance differs between Nippo and a Jomon greatly now.
    It is a result of the difference in standard of the selection criteria for about 50 years.
    komati-3
    komati-2
    komati-1
  • It is Kuro's parents' photograph. Photo by JSRC.
    http://jomon-shiba.sakura.ne.jp/
    ran4731
    kuri2963
  • Wow, they look really cool!

I'd be very curious to know how they stack up as big game hunters. Given how morphologically they have become so similar to the shikas, and especially the shikoku, I wonder what working instincts have varied along with that.

Does anyone know if there's an english translation of their standard somewhere? (*coughs* @TheWalrus *coughs*) :-)
  • I don't have a copy of the Shibaho standard in Japanese. I do have visiting the Shibaho HQ on my list of things to do when I have time, and I've always been interested in the breed. I think that physically they've got what it takes to be very agile hunters, especially in comparison to the standard NIPPO Shiba. I asked Shibaho recently about anyone hunting big game with Jomon Shiba, and they mentioned that there are a lot of bird hunters, but not that many big game hunters.
  • edited December 2011
    The standard of Jomonshiba is together with NIPPO. It is an abstract sentence.
    about 50 years ago, the late Mr. Nakajo differed in the method of the understanding, and he parted from NIPPO.
    The late Mr. Nakajo is father of Jomon shiba. I feel functional beauty in Jomonshiba.

If Kuro meets with a deer and a wild boar, she barks. It is not long time. It returns within 5 minutes.
    She likes a bird by nature. She chased bigger pheasant than herself at 75 days old.
    The pheasant ran and escaped, without flying.

I think that she is able to fight big game if young friends will increase in number in the future and I continue wishing.
    I heard from both Shibaho Akita branch and JSRC, Jomon being used for bear hunting in the Tohoku district now.

I think it dependent on an owner that can wake the instinct of a dog.
  • @matagi1961 - Is the standard for the Jomon Shiba focused on working ability? Or is it a more common conformation standard?
  • Since I do not have experience which appeared in the exhibition, I do not understand.
    Many hunters ask for the performance of a dog than beauty.
    I think that standard is a standard for examining impartially.
    I would like to make a wise dog.I am satisfied when appearance does not change large from a standard.
    The method of a standard understanding is different for many people.
  • Kuro's parents are very nice I love the first picture of the parent.

• Those are some cool looking Shibas. I like their build a lot.
  • There is a word of Japanese 姿芸両全(shigeiryouzen). It is my ideal.
    姿 is Appearance.芸 is work performance. 両全 is Both are good.

I live in the environment where it is the side of a mountain and can release a dog safely.
    There are few people who live in the same environment as me in Japan.
    There are much those who cannot release a dog in the same environment as me.

Those who cannot manipulate a dog can win at an exhibition.
    Moreover, it can become an executive of an organization.
    The staff of SHIBAHO corresponding to Walrus has a high possibility that he was such a person.
  • This is so interesting about the Jomon shibas--great pics too! And I love the Appearance and work performance together. Very cool.
  • @ayk--what do you mean by old-style vs new style?
  • @ttddinh - I'll need to find the thread to remember the details, but roughly, the Shikoku in NIPPO have been moving from having a very flat stop/longer face to having more stop and a rounder face. Their body build has also moved towards a narrower frame.
  • photo by JSRC
    http://jomon-shiba.sakura.ne.jp/
    Jomon shiba have a big mouth and tooth as compared with the body.
    However, there is a difference according to sex and age.
  • @mataga1961 - "Many hunters ask for the performance of a dog than beauty." true that. *likes*
  • One of the my You Tube videos was rewritten into English.
    Please read an English explanatory note.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aT2DhFzXbOA
  • edited December 2011
    @ttdinh: Take a look at Brad's Facebook pictures of Ahi and Loa with profiles, then take a close look at the profile pictures of Kaiju and ChoCho. Between their two ages is *I think* the time that Nippo decided to move to a rounder face, shorter muzzle, with a more noticeable stop. Shigs and Brad can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ahi:

Kaiju:

Jesse
  • @ayk and @crimson02-- thanks for the clarifications. In general, why did NIPPO make those changes? IMPO, I think Ahi is absolutely gorgeous...I wonder if I could still find imports that have the "old-style" of shikokus...or are they now banned/prohibited?

@crimson02--Is Kurenai considered old style or new style? Maybe it's just me but I feel that she has quite a mix. Her look is not quite new style as Kaiju's
  • aykayk
    edited December 2011
    @ttddinh - Similar to the Shibaho, it's not the standard that is changing, but the interpretation of the standard.

A good thread to read over is TheWalrus' thread about the different Shikoku bloodlines:

http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/6787/shikoku-bloodlines/