Big hog down! Warning graphic photos

Comments

• @MirkaM
    That is why I only want toyotas. Or... well... I might be tempted to get a porsche for summer cruising if I ever win the lottery! XP SO girly I know...

• I still have a 1985 Toyota corolla that my brother drove in high school. That thing has like 300k miles on original every thing, except for the motor which I recently rebuilt.

Great car stories!

• Yeah toyotas are the best ;) The one I totalled had almost 300k km, also on original parts.

The one I have now is only 13 years old, but I'm hoping she will be able to keep it together for 13 more! LOL XD
  • '97 Toyota Camry all the wayyyy lol :)
  • I used to work as a mechanic for 13 years So if anyone needs help or questions feel free to ask away.
  • Psh don't say that Gen, you wont have anymore free time with the long ass emails I'd be sending you.

I do love how we went from talking about nice cars to clunkers :P
  • Any time, I pretty much fix everyone cars at work and even our patrol vehicles at times so no sweat.
  • Well if you guys are ever in the market for some new rotors and pads let me know =)
  • Ooooooh what kind? I need new rotors for my wrx.
  • We get our rotors from centric. We can either do silver zinc coating on it, or black rotors. You can get them blank, slotted only, drilled only, or drilled and slotted. =)

When Kevin and I first started dating I got him rotors and pads for his WRX as a bday gift, then he goes and sales his car less than 6 months later for an Evo 10.
  • @ jujee as in brake pads?? Do you sell them for acura tl's?
  • edited December 2011
    Yeap. Just let me know the year of your car and if u want it for fronts and rears. Also semi-metallic pads or ceramic? Since u live in riverside u are welcome to stop by the warehouse and pick them up. Oh and u get to meet the pups too :)

My email should be in my profile so just send me an email :)
  • ooh, what kinds of rotors and pads are they?

anything for '06 CLS55 or '07 range rover sport supercharged?
  • Evo 10! Blah! Just kidd'n lol. I was grew up with Subies so I'm partial and will always have life long hatred toward Evo's. Kinda like how Charger's fans hate Raider's fans.

Hmmm could you get break calipers too? If so I need loaded or unloaded calipers, semi-metallic pads, and basic centric rotors for a 2000 dodge ram 1500 2wd.
  • We can get calipers as well. I'll let you know on Monday when I'm back in the office. Wrapping things up for today and I don't work on Fridays or the weekends =)

CLS 55 rotors are expensivee! lol
  • An Evo is one of Errik's dream cars lol.
  • Better watch out, Julie! I think Brad may start charging you a Kai puppy for advertisement, lol. =p
  • ya tell me about it, it wasnt pretty the last time i had to change pads and rotors. i was glad to be able to get a drilled/slotted set that saved me 34lbs of weight with some akebono pads that produced much less brake dust for a little more than getting another oem set.

haha i hear ya on the sti vs evo rivalry, ive always liked the evo but im definitely a subie guy at heart. i really miss tracking the sti though, maybe one day ill get another one.

BTW i have a set of AMG calipers, pads and rotors for sale, maybe you can get those to fit on the ram! 8 piston fronts and 4 piston rears.
  • Nice! Mono block calipers! I could probably make some brackets lol. I'm actually getting ready to sell my beast soon so I need to do some updated repairs. That trucks been to hell and back and has never let me down.

It's funny but the first car I ever rode in was a Subaru Domingo and my dad has had nothing but subarus since he was in college. I think I caught the racing bug when my dad lapped fuji speedway in a Subaru leone rs with me strapped to a baby seat at age two.

I was fortunate enough to work at Subaru oriented performance shop both here and Japan. Although I'm a big Nissan and Toyota fan also.
  • Hey, what kind of vehicle would be good for off-road rough terrain and multi-weather proof? My Tacoma can handle mild terrain but it is still pretty delicate. So what would one recommend for more "heavy duty" that can still fit abunch of dogs?

I have about 145,000 miles on my truck. It is 6 years old (I got it new in October of 2005). So while it's still in pretty good shape, I'm thinking now is probably a good time to start thinking about and window shopping for a potential second vehicle. Which won't be until after I pay off my truck in 2 years anyways. I don't want more then 1 car payment, lol.

Also...I've gotten my brake pads changed twice already. It looks as if I will be having to get new brake pads again very soon (early next year - January or February). Is this normal or does that seem like a bit much in 6 years?
  • I would get a truck with 4x4 and diesel with good clearance. But I would also consider a tundra also. One car I like is the Subaru forester with sturdier rally suspension. Cars cheap to maintain, good room, and full time awd. There lots of parts to make it a awesome off road vehicle.
  • As for brake life the key word is it all depends. I'm on brake change #3 with 150k on the clock for my truck. So that average for you to go through two brake changes at 140k.
  • @shikokuspirit - that is not too bad for brakes.

Funny, that is what we are doing with our next car. A Forester Sports 2.5XT, a 2008 for manual. Husband already made a list of all the mods like STi turbo and suspension, should be a fun ride.
  • edited August 2013
    Sounds awesome. That would be next favoritesubaru is the forester. I drove the 2007 model Forester STI in Japan and holy crap that thing handles like a FR sports car. I just put the Red subaru 4 piston calipers on my wife's SH Forester with STI rear mufflers. Now only if Bilstein made shocks in the US I can put on some STI rally coils with Bilstein shocks.

Here's my WRX "STI" bugeye.

Missing is the Japanese STI Ver 1 front lip that I destroyed on a parking stall stopper...

Motor:
    Japanese EJ207 with custom 2.2L (Mahle pistons, STI forged connecting rods, US STI 79mm crank)
    Tomei ARMS 7760 turbo
    Tomei Exhaus system from manifold to downpipe
    HKS exhaust
    Skyline GTR fuel pump
    ZeroSports N1 clutch
    Front Cusco LSD 1way
    Rear Cusco LSD 1.5way
    Bilstein/El Sport coilovers
    Cusco Zero 2r (track)
    Bride Zeta II full bucket seats in front (switching to Recaro soon)
    HKS Kansai front crossmember.
    Prodrive mirrors from 2002 World Rally Car
    ZeroSports carbonfiber wing risers
    Cusco ventilated hood
    Volk 17X9 CE28N with Falken RT615 (track)
    Advan RCII 18X8.5 with Advan Neova

There's a crap load more stuff but these are some of the stuff on the car.

• @shikokuspirit - You call your Taco delicate? lol. I'm not sure what you're looking for, because Taco's are wonderful offroad vehicles straight from Toyota. If you want something more rugged than that from the manufacturer, I'd look into a Ford F-150 Raptor. Otherwise, you'll need to customize the hell out of whatever you get.
  • Well...mine isn't 4 wheel drive. =/

True though it has been through quite a bit of thrashing and has survived. My Tacoma did get stuck in the mud once while in tall grass and I was all by myself when it happened (well...no other humans around to help). Thank goodness there literally was plywood randomly laying on the ground (enough for both front and rear tires). I'm guessing that people must get their cars and trucks stuck in the mud in that area quite often. Ever since...I've been kinda leery about driving my truck through such mucky or high grass terrain. It does handle steep upward, dirt slopes pretty well...though it's kind of a scary drive.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly...which is why I asked, lol. I do love my "Taco" but for my 2nd vehicle...I want something different but sturdy. Just exploring my options. Thanks for the recommendations ( @shishiinu @dlroberts )! I'm looking forward to some test drives in the near future. =]

Meanwhile, maybe I just need to learn what to take with me on off-roading explorations? During the Winter I plan on packing snowchains (for trips to the mountains). I guess I should keep my own personal stash of plywood as well...
  • Ah. Well, if you don't have the TRD offroad package, your truck has an open rear differential. It will be a great trail truck due to it's clearance, but won't handle mud or snow particularly well. My F-150 is a 4x4 and has en e-locker in the rear, which is an open diff when not locked. In 4x2 mode, I can't go anywhere in slippery conditions. I would expect your truck to be the same. If what you really care about is traction in slippery conditions, you need a locking diff, or a limited slip at the least.
  • edited December 2011
    i find it strange that u can only get lockers with the access cab tacoma and not in the full cab. at least here in canada, is it like that in the US as well?

i went and test drove the 2012 CLS63 with performance pacakge today and i must say that i was a little underwhelmed. :( the interior was quite nice though.
  • Not only has my truck gotten stuck in the mud but it has also slipped in the mountains (Big Bear) while it was snowing! There was an area that was a problem for everyone though and 10 guys were there to hold/push my truck through to keep it from sliding further. I didn't have any chains either. My friend drove my truck downhill through the snow since he was able to drive it in 1st gear and without using the brakes. I guess that's what I meant by "delicate". Since it handles just fine during dry and favorable weather conditions.

So yeah...I need what you said Dave. Thanks!

( @jikjak ) I'm not sure how it is in the U.S. I really wanted the TRD Tacoma with double cabin, a long bed and a bed outlet. I don't remember why I couldn't get it. It had something to do with unavailability or price.
  • @jikjak - You can get a locker (TRD Offroad package) in any configuration taco with the V6 in the states.