The "Kaiju Re-branding" Thread (aka "Kaiju's PR Campaign")

Comments

• For all we know, you drugged them both with Xanax Brad! :-P He has a beautifully round face!

Jesse
  • Kaiju is so cute! His badassness is just him being a shikoku I'm sure. The female shikoku I met was calm and stuff, but I'm sure they require lots of exercise.

I like his face too. :)

I know Bella my parent's boxer can be a real jerk if she doesn't get her two walks a day or at least one walk and one run a day.. She gets into stuff and acts obnoxious when she has excess energy.
  • I love Kaiju. I think he was the cutest pup (that comes to mind right now lol) that I've ever had come through my door. He had a lot of attitude for a little guy, but then again so did Rome. I think Rome and Kaiju are brothers from another mother. In your face Shikoku males... lol. He and Baron saw each other for the first time in a couple months on Sunday, and Rome just rudely got right up in his face. Almost had a little tussle, but after a timeout and a long drive crated next to each other, they were back to being buddies. And yeah, Rome tries to climb every dog he meets.
  • beautiful dog that is Brad, congrats
  • @ivanmeza03 - Thanks Ivan!

@CrimsonO2 - I would never do such a thing! :oP

@TheWalrus - We need to see some updated pics of Rome!

----

I think it's really neat how Kaiju was a community effort. So many forum members spent time with him before he got here so he touched a lot of people's lives - in his Kaiju way (which often involves humping).

Thanks again to everyone that helped get him here! It really shows the strength and commitment of this forum's members - working together to help one of our breeds. Very cool!

----
  • @brada1878 That reminds me. I have two videos of Kaiju, Ritsu, and Shuran playing on my phone. I'll load them up tonight. I just actually watched them and realized Ritsu was a tenacious little puppy. They are really cute. They were having a blast with a toy. Of course they are cell phone quality.
  • Hmm. I think the East Coast feels a little left out of this community effort... :-P I think for socialization, you should start shipping the puppies to the East Coast first, then out West. Haha.
  • I agree with Casey!
  • @Brad--I love his round face too!

This is his downtime, contemplating his next move muahaha...
  • Yea, and you could see that he got nervous when he realized I was trying to snoop on his next scheme...
  • edited September 2011
    @brada1878 I forgot I had these. Here are two short vids of Kaiju, Ritsu, and Shuran playing at Corina's house. Kaiju is the cutest puppy I've ever seen.

Kaiju is the small one making all that noise.

• So cute! Kai pup and two shikoku pups I can't take the cuteness. lol
  • I thought it looked like Shuran was looking for a spot to pee, and sure enough...
  • I mean you are all crazy. It was fun to read those ridiculous comments.
  • @tjbart17 - Those videos are super cute, thanks for posting them! :o)
  • So, we took Ayu and Kaiju to the Taos Wool Festival today, they both did amazing. Kaiju has a great temperament, he's really a solid dog. He was nice to dogs we met, loved all the people, enjoyed the kids he met... He's a really good boy.

I took some lame video (with my mobile) as "proof" of how comfortable he was in a very busy environment...

Also, here are some pics...

Kaiju

Kaiju playing with Chase and his "water bowl"...
    Kaiju & Chase

Kaiju grabbing a beer with us...
    Ayu & Kaiju

Kaiju meeting some people we met while having beers...
    Kaiju & Friends

Interesting aside - I met 2 people who know what a Shikoku Ken was, and 1 that had met a Kai Ken before. Bu this other guy lived in Japan, and he called me over with Kaiju and said "When I lived in Japan this was one of my favorite breeds." I said "oh, you know Shikoku?" He said "Yes, but I like the all white ones more." ... I was like "Oh, the Kishu Ken?" He said "Yea, I loved those dogs."

How cool is that? In tiny little Taos I met someone who knew what a Kai Ken, Shikoku Ken, and a Kishu Ken was AND had personal experiences with the Shikoku and Kishu! I thought that was awesome.

----
  • Very cute photos Brad! Glad to see that we also see the positives sides of Kaiju too :-). So what is a Wool festival? Is it because a lot of indian blankets are made of wool?

FWIW - I took my 2 dogs (one each on each day) to a huge horse show that gets lots of spectators. They too are really solid dogs in a very busy environment, letting everyone come up to pet and socialize with them and standing patiently while we talk. Ignoring the other dogs and being very obedient and calm.

I don't know about you, but I need to get a little vest that says "Shikoku Ken - Japanese hunting dog of boar/deer" with a pocket that I can put brochures in so that I don't have to answer the same question over and over again. My friend who was with me cracked up laughing at the 20th "what kind of dog is that?", and there were many more after that! It is so rare to find someone who knows any of these NK breeds (outside of Akitas and Shibas).
  • @Edgewood - The wool festival is an event where people who spin, knit, or weave yarn can display and sell their work. There's also animals there to educate people where the wool comes from. It's a big thing here in Taos because of the Pueblo, Mexican, and the Spanish culture here (also all the hippies lol).

Yea, I've told Jen I might start printing Kai Ken and Shikoku Ken brochures too. Chrystal suggested trading cards too. I mean, rally, we can't walk 10 feet without someone asking about either breed. I don't mind tho, that's part of our non-profit description: "public education"... Still, it can be overwhelming at times.

----
  • I went to a global festival this weekend at Irvine, CA and brought both my pups. Surprisingly, Ichi did well and even went so far as to lie down in the middle of the crowd on the lawn. So many people were taken in with Ichi more than Kurenai. As much as people dearly wanted to pet Ichi, the best they got was a sniff. Kurenai, on the other hand, was an absolute love. People thought Kurenai was a shiba or husky mix, but only asked that after they asked about Ichi, the non-standard leggy/tall Shiba.

Sorry, unfortunately no photos (fail on my part).

Jesse
  • @brada1878 - yeah, I also do not mind stopping to talk about the breed, but in a busy environment, it can mean that it takes a long time to get anywhere (I agree with the 10 feet before the next question comes). Or when you just finish answer one person and someone comes up, while the 1st person is still there, and asks exactly the same question!

LOL!

@CrimsonO2 - I get a lot more comments about Kuma being a "large shiba" whereas no one can guess what Sachi is. Or asking if he is a siberian. Kuma gets a lot less people stopping to ask to pet him now that he is full grown and big and masculine looking. Even though he is a big love. Sachi got a lot of "is that a wolf? or a coyote?"

• <<The wool festival is an event where people who spin, knit, or weave yarn can display and sell their work.>>

You should totally set up a booth and sell the undercoat of your dogs--seriously, it makes great wool! I used to show Malamutes and had my Nelson's undercoat combined with sheep to make a great yarn- it was the greatest scarf you could imagine. Unless it got wet, then you smelled like wet Malamute, lol. ;o)

Wonderful pictures but ugh, I'm still having panic attacks over that tarantula video from last week- I don't think I could ever live in the Southwest, they would creep me out way too much... lol.

Jen
  • @jenz - We thought about doing that, and collected a lot of CO hair, but Jen just couldn't find the time to spin it or clean it. I was really excited for her to make thinks out of it and sell them, but it just never happened.

----
  • There are people that take in the dog hairs, clean it, and spin it into yarn for you. Maybe that's an option?
  • @ayk - I think Jen connected with someone who would do that but for some reason it didn't work out... but I think. that was pre-Ovcharka for us. Ovcharka hair has been used as wool for 1000s of years.

----
  • edited October 2011
    Ok, some new videos of Kaiju being a good boy...

Kaiju with Jen and Chase:

Kaiju giving Akashi some bro-love:

Kaiju and his BFF playing in our first snow of the season:

----
  • He is adorable and what a beautiful tail!
  • Love the video of he and Ahi playing in the snow. Very cute tag game going on there :-)

He is really a pretty dog!
  • Ditto...they both look so majestic roughing around. Am I mistaken, was Ahi mounting Kaiju?? Is Ahi older than Kaiju? BTW, I love how your child is totally un-phased by Kai jumping up! How do your dogs take in your kids?
  • This mos def belongs here...

----
  • LoL, Kaiju reminds me of my Tikaani and the pups reminds me of Miyu...Too cute!!