Big hog down! Warning graphic photos

edited October 2011 in Hunting & Working
So as some of you guys know, my wife is due to give birth like any day now. I been holding off on going hunting but the wifey gave me the green light so I can go out for archery deer one last time. ow a few weeks back I spotted a sounder of hogs in this place I have been hunting so I packed my rile just in case. Well the morning was uneventful with only two does coming out nar my blind. I decided to sit up high and just glass the field. Not 5 minutes later, I spot a couple of black dots running around.....PIGS!

I run back to the truck and change out my bow for a rifle. I stalk the hogs and to my amazement, they take me to hog heaven. I end up reaching a area loaded with hogs, I was able to accurately count 26 mature hogs and 3 dozen little piglets. I pick out a largedry sow and once she gets to about 25 yards I put a 308 slug right in her vitals. She goes down not 1 steps from where I shot her and as I walk up to claim my prize, two large boars come charging out of the rush. I yelled but one of them would not stop so as it got to 10 feet I shot my last round at the boar. Te boar spins around and runs off into havy cover. As I pull together and clean my underwear, I gather my stuff and drag the sow to my truck. After a hour or so of trying to load the hog, I go back and try to see if I could find the second hog. I search for a hour but come up empty and a wounded hog in thick cover is not a fun thing.

I gut the sow out and run home to get my brother and the dogs. This time I arm my self with a M1A SOCOM with a 20 round magazine full of 308 rounds. We get back to the large field and right off we spot 7 hogs on a hill side, 6 boars trying to mate with one sow. This time i brought Taro and Sammi out since Yuki is in heat and Taro is on her like white on rice. Taro immediately catch the scent and off he goes straight for the group of hogs. He singles out a medium sized boar and bayes it up like a champ, I almost cried at the sight of Taro baying te hog as if he's been doing it all his life.

Sammi is itching to go but I keep her on the lead until Taro can get better control of the hog. All of a suden the rest of the hogs return and begin chasing Taro. Taro grabs hold of the hog he was baying up and out of no where a larger boar comes out and runs Taro off. I couldnt believe my eyes seeing one Kishu against 7 hogs!!! Taro kept at it for a bit but I saw that the hogs were getting much more aggressive so Taro being smart saw that it was a loosing battle and came back without any cuts or scratches.

We head for the area where I last shot the second hog and let the Taro go. He runs into a patch of thick reeds near a creek and right away I hear him bark and pigs grunt. I can see the backs of two hogs and a bunch of pigles. Taro circcles the area and barks so I let Sammi go and its game on. Only problem, I see Taro fly through the air and a big rotti do a flip in the air! I call the dogs back and leash them up since the sows will be extremely dangerous because of the piglets. We search the area for over 4 hours but no hog so at this point I'm guessing that I missed the shot at the close distance although I have this bad feeling in th back of my mind.

DSCN0802

DSCN0806

DSCN0805

Comments

• WOW! That sounds AMAZING! I wish I could have been there to see the action even though I don't eat hogs and I would probably be scared out of my mind!

"As I pull together and clean my underwear"...that's really funny (I'm sure it wasn't (funny)) in that situation, but it was to the reader!)
  • Scary and awesome!
  • That's not Taro you're holding with you in the pic though right? That's Yuki? That is an insane story!

Jesse
  • Yeah thats Yuki. She has grown, I'll be posting some news on her shortly.
  • Wow, that's a great (if scary!) story! And look at that pig! VEry cool!
  • Neat! Cool story, and nice hog! Dogs flying through the air huh, thats not so cool.
  • That's an awesome story!
  • Nice job Gen!

Sounds like you hit the hog jackpot there. What's your limit? Are you going to be going back?

Also sounds like Taro is really coming into his own. So great to hear.
  • yuki is a great looking kishu
  • Wow awesome that Taro was baying up so many! Very impressive. Grats on the hog :)
  • Congrats on the hog and thanks for sharing the event and pictures Taro sounded like he did good. Glad both him and Sammi are OK.

I'm so glad this forum allows this type of thing and doesn't remove it.
  • A good hunting story brother! I enjoyed reading that. Sounds like you have plenty of wild pigs where you live. Nice looking dog with plenty of guts by the sounds of it.
  • Thanks guys, the photo doesn't do the pig justice. The cooler will fit a full size deer and even after prepping the hog for the butcher it wouldn't fit.

I maybe going back in a few weeks and take yuki with me along with taro and sammi. Maybe they can work to single out a hog a little better then just one dog.
  • Sounds like Taro has got some brains there and knows when to call it a day. Sounds like it was a pretty full on day, and I know how you felt when you saw Taro working the boar.
  • Seriously all I need to do with Taro is to show him the hogs and he figures out the rest, the kid is a natural at this game. I'm talking minimal training as to showing him what to do.
  • I'm glad Taro is a natural he sounds like a natural hog dog. :]
  • Have to say it again, Gen, that litter produced some amazing hunting Kishu. 100% instinct, can't take any credit for training our boys, eh? lol
  • Gen, just thought I'd pass this on: I showed my husband the pics, and he was only mildly interested in the pig, but was very interested in your car! He kept saying, what kind of car is that? Look at those rims! What kind of muffler does he have on that, do you think?

*lol*
  • WOW! That's a crazy story! Sounds like it was super hectic but also very rewarding to watch the dogs work. Very cool!

Yuki looks great too. :o)
  • That's a 300ZX isn't it? I had the pleasure of driving a twin turbo Z once. Fastest car I've ever driven. Scary fast. But jesus that thing was fun as hell. :-D
  • Gen, my friend's got an insane RX-7 and souped up Z. I'll have to take a video next time I'm in it. We were flying through Roppongi last night in that baby, with the engine screaming, and supercharger hissing the entire way. You can hear that thing coming from a mile away.
  • I think that is a 240sx, I had a TT 300zx in high school and college. Loved it, did some really stupid shit in that car tho. It was one of the harder cars I've owned to drive - drove like a mid-engine car.

I loved the RX-7, you need to get some video of that Shigeru!
  • My husband has a (newish) GTO. He drives entirely too fast in it, or did, til he got a pretty hefty speeding ticket and a reminder that he was not on "the autobahn." He's slowed down considerably, and actually doesn't drive the car too much these days....it sucks down the gas! He does get pulled over a lot when he's driving that car, though, and the last couple of times, the cops just asked him about the engine and the (lack) of a muffler.
  • Its a 240sx that I built for a friend. It has the Japanese 180sx engine that I built from a 2liter to a 2.2 liter that produces 435 ponies to the wheels. Its caged and now I'm finishing the battery relocation and I'm going to start racing it. The exhaust system is a HKS system and the wheels are rare advan racing wheels (not a big fan of 3 spokes).

I also have a 91 rx7 turbo that's a rolling racecar for time attack. My true love is subarus and rotaries! Dude Shigeru, you got to take some videos. I wander if your friend races on the wangan or shutokou?
  • Yes to wangan and shutokou, but not so much nowadays since they've cracked down on it. We do go to Suzuka every now and again though.
  • Nice! I miss the tracks in Japan, fuji speedway was my home ground.
  • Gen come up here and help errik work on his 240 :P
  • Sure! What does he want to do to it?
  • Nice catch Gen!! You'll be eating for a while off that hog!

Glad to hear Taro's doing such a great job too. ~